Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your favorite famous chef/cook

Inquiring minds want to know: Who is your favorite famous chef/cook, why do you like them, and which of their recipes is your favorite? If you can link the recipe that would be awesome.

Ready, set, go!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
mamaeffie
Deactivated

Try the bean dip, she said

mamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond reputemamaeffie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favorite famous chef/cook

alice waters!

i'll try to add more later- nursing the baby right now and can't pull up links easily
mamaeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaeffie For This Useful Post:
greendelight (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. To watch, or to actually eat their food?

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Either.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

Hubert Keller

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UltraMother For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I learned how to cook primarily by watching my mom and grandmothers and by reading cookbooks. (Seriously, I'd read be reading cookbooks at 2 am during Finals week to wind down!) So most of my favorites are not watchable. The books I have gleaned a lot from are anything by Marcella Hazan (Italian MAESTRA), The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum, and the Grande Dame herself, Julia Child. I loved the show she did with Jacques Pepin before she died.

I like Alton Brown for techniques and the science behind food. Between AB and Shirley Corriher (who he had on Good Eats a few times) I've learned a lot about which ingredients do exactly what, and how certain techniques affect the final product - like why to use a blender for popovers. As for his actual recipes, I tend to tweak them and change the flavorings quite a bit.

I've been watching Melissa D'Arabian a lot lately - most of her recipes have been quite family friendly. I think she's just a really great home cook. I don't have her cookbook, though.

I love shows like Iron Chef and Chopped - Mario Batali and Michael Symon are my favorites to watch - but they have access to so many exotic (and expensive) ingredients that I just take certain flavor combinations and ideas about the food and try to adapt it in my own kitchen, as opposed to trying to actually copying what they are making. But come to think of it, I did make quite a few of Mario's dishes from Molto Mario when it was on air. And the Banana Brownie Bars he made on The Chew this summer are one of my kids' all-time favorite snacks. I made Michael's ribs from another episode and they were fabulous.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Oakyn

Gordon Ramsay
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
charla
Administrator

I change which one is my favorite pretty often, but Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, has been my current fave for quite a while. She makes cooking and entertaining look so easy. Her food tends to be pretty simple but is full of flavor. A couple of my favorite recipes are:
Parmesan Chicken http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html
Orzo with Roasted Vegetables http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Carini (11-14-2012), dulce de leche (11-13-2012), itzj (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
itzj
Rose Trellis

itzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond repute

I like watching Alton Brown best, even though I'm not into precision cooking. But cooking wise I'm probably most likely to make a Mario Batali or Giada De Laurentiis recipe.

and tiny turtle DS 2012
itzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

another Alton Brown fan here.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

She's just famous in my province, but I love Josée diStasio. Italian, passionate for simple, delicious food.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Alton Brown and Graham Kerr.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

We love The Nealy's. they model a fun marriage and cook food that we realistically eat (BBQ and Southern comfort).

I also like Alton Brown and Melissa D'Arabian
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
charla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
Alton Brown and Graham Kerr.

Oh wow, that brings back memories, the Galloping Gourmet.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

I have two. Chef Michael Smith and Jamie Oliver. Both are passionate about real food, about educating children (and people in general) about real food and both also promote local food and supporting local farmers not as trendy, but as vital for our future. Their food and their shows and cookbooks are wonderful.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ajani For This Useful Post:
SweetMelissa (11-14-2012)