Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you're kids do their own laundry and you prefer white's to be bleached

I find that most of my white's are socks and one person's socks are not enough to constitute a load. So if you're kids do their own laundry, how do you teach them to bleach white's? Combining family socks would mean sorting family socks, which is the biggest reason to have kid's do their own laundry. It is the most time consuming part. Do you have any other solutions?

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're kids do their own laundry and you prefer white's to be bleached

I use a non chlorine bleach and wash socks and towels and white underwear all together. My YA son wears all the same kind of gray socks or black one for dressier that I wash with darks. My husband wears all same white socks. If you can color code them easy to sort.also ithelps to have baskets for dirty clothes in laundry room by color so hen kids doing own wash can pull out any white socks and add to the basket of towels and whites or same with black socks

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're kids do their own laundry and you prefer white's to be bleached

Hmm, does someone on GCM use bleach?

I just wash all whites socks, underwear and towels together with my normal ecofriendly detergent. Come to think of it, my DH is rather disgruntled at the greying of his undershirts. I just think But, we have a septic tank and I don't even want to put the peroxide based product down the drain.

I totally know what you mean. Sorting through 5 girls socks washed together is something else.

I guess I would just recommend having them do their own without bleaching but leave that for the adults who must have it.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (04-14-2016), deena (04-15-2016), ECingMama (04-13-2016), graciousmomma (04-15-2016), Soliloquy (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Um, my kids do their own laundry and if they want bright white socks they are going to have to figure it out. We don't us bleach. Honestly tho, it is there clothes and most of the time no one sees socks so I am just thrilled I am not washing 6 extra loads of laundry on my days off. I'm also pretty sure none of my kids on white socks.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (04-13-2016), deena (04-15-2016), expatmom (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

People still own white socks?
2sunshines (04-13-2016), deena (04-15-2016), melliethepooh (04-13-2016), milkmommy (04-13-2016), sweetpeasmommy (04-17-2016), WanderingJuniper (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

This thread

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016), ReedleBeetle (04-13-2016), Soliloquy (04-13-2016), Sweet Life (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post
Um, my kids do their own laundry and if they want bright white socks they are going to have to figure it out.
Yup.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016), WanderingJuniper (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I wash everything together on cold or warm. I wash bath towels with normal laundry but do kitchen towels with bleach once a week.
We have one giant sock basket for the kids in the living room full of "silly socks" (bizarre bright colored socks not intended to match and plain white socks that are easy to match).

I would say let them do their laundry how it works for them and give them an option of adding their stuff to a whites basket if it matters to them.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
Hmm, does someone on GCM use bleach?

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Little Forest (04-15-2016), Soliloquy (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

OxiClean.

My older two do their own laundry. Lights and darks.

I do dh's and my laundry. Lights and darks. If I have a few things that I really need whitening (I hate dingy whites) I soak them overnight with OxiClean. If that doesn't work I run a small load with Clorox. I have a septic. Moderate chlorine bleach is fine. Oxygen bleach turns to salts by the time it reaches the septic tank, it's anti-microbial powers are gone by then.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
deena (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Is this your socks we are talking about? Wash them by hand on a washboard.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #12
Littledisciples
Rose Garden

My sweet girls who have given me strength to endure

Littledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond reputeLittledisciples has a reputation beyond repute

We rarely bleach around here but my kids do their own laundry. They just throw it all in and wash it. Shocking right. I just don't care anymore they don't care about even matching sox because it's so cool to have mix matched. I gave up and buy them colored socks and they wash them themselves.

Mom of Kayla 2000, Katie 2001 and Kira 2004
Step Mom of B girl 1995, S girl 1998, J boy 2001, J girl 2002, M girl 2002, K girl 2003, S girl 2004

Grandma to J Dec 2014, J May 2017, G November 2018

Sometimes our life is crazy but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Resting with Jesus Seth, Mercy, Love, Serenity, Hope, Whisper and Clare bear
Littledisciples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Littledisciples For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016), WanderingJuniper (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use bleach regularly (i'll use it to spot treat stains on white clothing, but not to just wash with whites).

I can't stand a load that isn't full so I would do family socks together but get everyone a lingerie bag for their socks. Then you wouldn't have to sort- put your socks in the bag, zip it up, and then when it comes out you give each person their socks.

The other option that may or may not work for you but would work for me is to wash socks with that person's sheets. But I always buy white sheets.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
deena (04-14-2016), Llee (04-20-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

One way to handle small loads is wash them right before another load and then put both in the dryer together--I figure that's where most of the energy cost comes from.
deena (04-14-2016), Soliloquy (04-13-2016), WanderingJuniper (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #15
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

The kids all have crazy colored socks.

Dh and I have white socks. I wash them with the dish towels and dish clothes with bleach. Dh uses 2-3 pairs of socks per day and the kids use a bunch of dishcloths doing chores. There's enough for a full load once a week.

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tazmom For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2016)