Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Yasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the rough
Default How many hours of sleep a night do/did you get with a nursing toddler?

My 23-month-old son still nurses several times a night (we co-sleep, although he has recently been requesting to sleep on a separate sleeping surface at the start of the night). My naturopath surprised me this week by urging me to night wean for my health... I have more health challenges than I'm comfortable posting in a public forum, but long story short she and several other healthcare providers who all lean very homeopathic and understand our parenting choices have all urged me to night wean so I can get more adequate rest. I don't feel right about forcing night weaning in our situation... but at the same time, my health is legitimately taking a hit. I would estimate that for the 8-9 hours I'm in bed, I sleep a combined 5-6 hours. Never more than about 2-3 hours in a row though (a big improvement from a few months ago when I was sleeping in about 45-minute intervals), which is the main issue I believe. So I guess I'm asking what the "average" amount of sleep has been for you all who have nursed toddlers, especially high-needs/sensitive toddlers, to sort of temper my expectations of what is "normal."
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
Yasheluah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Yasheluah:
FlyingBlueKiwi (10-02-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many hours of sleep a night do/did you get with a nursing toddler?

By the time my babies were 23-months old, they were waking about every 3 hours to nurse (except for my 3rd child, she was STTN at that age). I would fall back asleep very quickly, though, so I was getting a decent amount of (interrupted) sleep.

With my second child, I did wean him on his 2nd birthday. I was pregnant and, unlike my previous experience of nursing while pregnant, the hormonal changes made nursing absolutely unbearable. I was sad that I needed to do it but, it needed to happen so we tried to make the best of it.

I think this is a decision that only you can make. If you need to night-wean for your health, there are more gentle ways to go about it and many of us can offer suggestions, if you would like them. You do not need to feel guilty if that is what you need to do.

Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution? There is a toddler version, too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Yasheluah (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Yasheluah
Rosebud

Yasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the roughYasheluah is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How many hours of sleep a night do/did you get with a nursing toddler?

I haven't read No Cry Sleep Solution yet; I discovered the toddler version the other day. I appreciate the encouragement... my husband and I have agonized over this... we tried Jay Gordon's suggestions a few months ago and it didn't go over well with X at all. One reason we have been so resistant to the idea so far is that X hasn't ever really had that "in between fuss." He goes straight from asleep to screaming in about 2 seconds flat. As an infant he nursed every 45 minutes, until he was about 6 months old. I love that he and I are so attached but obviously it is wearing hard on my body. It is so hard to know the right thing to do!
ENFJ; Enn. Type 4

www.ashleylinne.com
Yasheluah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Yasheluah:
FlyingBlueKiwi (10-02-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, my first baby nursed almost 24/7. Pretty much by the time she finished nursing, burped, and had her diaper changed, she was ready again.

One thing that made a huge difference for me was supplementing with a multi mineral. For me, I was able to figure out (after a few years) that all the lactating and pregnancy left me depleted of a lot of minerals. It showed in my nerves and my teeth (got cavities for the first time EVER).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Yasheluah (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

Yeah at 23 months I was woken every few hours to nurse him but co-sleeping made it easy to get right back to sleep after he got latched on. So a normal amount of hours were being had but they were interrupted.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
Yasheluah (09-23-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

G was a high needs/heavily nursing for nutrition toddler. I was in bed for 1-22 hours and got 7-8 hours, up every 2-3 hours until he was over 3. Amazing my body does pretty well interrupted sleep as long as I'm in bed for a long time and the short segments eventually add up. I think I have a short sleep cycle that corresponds well to a needy baby.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Yasheluah (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I started night weaning my youngest at 21-22months, I just started refusing to nurse her once and getting er to resettle with out it. I would say "in a little but"ay her back on her pillow next to me and pretend to sleep (or go back to sleep) then when she handled not getting once I would stretch it to two refusals and then three...and eventually we got to where she wasn't nursing until 4-5 a.m. -it took about 3 months if gradually refusing and then we were night weaned. I didnt even set out to do it, i just knew i needed to be able to refuse, and it worked out. then I went completely dairy free (we had been doing raw) and she started sttn for the first time around 24mos.

. Now she wakes me 1-3 times a night 3-4 times a week and sleeps completely through the other nights. I would say I am averaging around 8-9hours of good sleep? She nurses morning noon and night and for comfort and the lower touch in ky Biddy has been sooooo fantastic fir my sensory tolerance during the days.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Sorry impossibles to type in this tablet I will come back and edit later.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I woul continue with the diff sleep surface and also try and hold n a bit because often they will drop nap during day between 2 -3 and sleep a long stretch at night. My dd got on a 9-9 schdule which was great for me.Would go back with her at 9 and nurse her and then read until 10 and that gave me option of 11 in bed hours and also being able to sleep until 8.Hours spent asleep before midnight and in early morning until 8 are more healing and rejuvinating from what I have heard rather than total

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

It has been long time ago...but by the time I felt it was the time to night wean, I learned the baby (or the toddler), against all advice, to drink from the bottle also. I night weanend them all at different ages, some were older and some a little but not much younger than one year. No formula was needed because they were old enough to drink regular milk or a thin milk based porridge (rice was good, also potato-carrot), and they slept well with a full tummy. I gave them the bottle as the last thing in the evening, and even it was not as intimate as breast feeding, It was a pleasant moment to have the toddler in my arms with the bottle, and they all liked their evening porridge. I don't think they considered it as a punishment.
If you do not feel like using a bottle, a baby cup with - o dear, I don't know how they call it in English - a cup with a kind of a beak - may also do fine. I guess that your toddler will be able to drink from an ordinary cup also, but the andvantage of a bottler or a baby mug with a beak is that the child can drink it slowly, in a "lullaby stile".
If my child waked during the night, I sometimes still breast fed it a little, or gave it a bottle with little water. But usually they slept well. Sometimes just some cuddling or "co-sleeping" would be enough to go back to the sleeping mode.
Sure, I was told by many people not to do that, but the "night bottle" worked fine all 7 times. My two oldest were formula fed, and they also enjoyed their "evening bottle" as toddlers. The younger ones were breast fed and around a year, when I wanted to make it less, I introduced the "night-cap-bottle", and when they started to like it, the rest was easy job.
And how to come off from the night bottle? By making gradual changes. The bottle will be replaced with a special cup and/or the porridge with a little milk or water. Later on, the drinking will be replaced by a piece of carrot or "non-edible things" like a story or singing. The main thing is to keep the bed time something pleasant, a moment of care and attention for your child's well being. It is lovely to go to sleep, sleeping is one of the greatest pleasures of life, to be honest, isn't it?

Perhaps you find my tips of some use. It certainly is not the only right way to handle. I'm sure you will find a way to get a good night rest for yourself and for your toddler.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
lucie
Climbing Rose

lucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant future

I'm kind of where you are, sleep wise. Isaac nurses a few times a night, sometimes more often (like hourly), sometimes less (maybe every three hours or so). Sometimes he's legitimately drinking, and at other times mostly comforting. I started taking a bunch of vitamins, and also GABA and magnesium to help with my sleep--so that I can fall asleep quickly when he wakes me up, and so that while I'm sleeping, I'm sleeping well. So that helped.
I'm contemplating night weaning, but the only way to do that would be for DH to take over at night (because sometimes Isaac does snuggle with him and goes back to sleep without nursing), and that's not possible at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucie For This Useful Post:
Rivendell Raven (09-24-2014), Yasheluah (09-24-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #11
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with MariJo - I've been weaning ds b/c of pg, and we switched to a bottle of milk, followed by a sippy of water if he is thirsty. he's been mostly unfazed by it and now gets excited when he sees his bottle and goes running for the bedroom for nap or bed. when he's done the bottle I sit him up and snuggle tummy to tummy. we have abt 4 nights where he nurses early morning to go back to sleep and the rest he goes back to sleep on his own. its taken abt 2 mos to get to this point though, just nice and slow.
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote