Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to Take for Stomach Bug to prevent/make it go away quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
How does one know that?
Why?

ETA: I just looked it up, and webmd said that cassia might be affective against bacteria and fungi. I saw nothing about the other type. It did say they were different, but both had cinnamomum in the name, so I don't know why one is "true" and one is not. I will have to look into that some more. Anyway, ours comes from Frontier. I do not know which it is, I will have to look on the bag.
Coumarin is only safe in small doses. Cassia has a much higher amount of courmarin than Ceylon cinnamon. Serious liver damage is one possibility. If you use cassia only rarely it probably won't be an issue (but it could be in certain people).

Frontier carries Ceylon cinnamon as well as cassia (their Vietnamese Cinnamon is cassia).
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (10-01-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #17
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a danger of getting a stomach bug, a good hygiene policy, like washing the hands well and rinsing the dishes and kitchen utensils thoroughly with hot water, does help a great deal. Kitchen and hand towels should be changed often and washed with a hot program, perhaps even ironed (if you have time ). Also taking brobiotics (="good bacteria") can be beneficial. Probiotics you get also by eating good quality bio-youghurt regularly.
Once the bug is there, eating as little as possible and drinking much makes it go away earlier. Tea (without sugar) is good. Some salt should also be taken. A stomach bug can dehydrate you very soon even when you drink, if you do not get some salt as well. An old Dutch remedy is the use of rice water: Boil one or two spoon full rice in one liter water (= 3 cups, I guess) for one hour. Pour it all through the sieve. The rice that remains in the sieve you can give to the dog or do anything else you please, but the broth is for drinking. You can give it to the sick person several times during the day, perhaps a half cup (or less) at the time for the little ones and some more for the bigger ones. For toddlers and babies above 6 month a pinch of salt can be added. Rice water is effective against diarrhea, not so much against vomiting.
The charcoal the others are writing about is also good.
One thing I also used to do (and I still do) when a stomach bug was coming: I rebuked it in the name of Jesus . I said: "You nasty stomach bug, go away in Jesus' name! I have no time for you!". Many times the stomach bug stopped right after the first manifestations . It certainly is worth of trying. If the bug comes anyway, you should, however, not think that there is something wrong with your faith. Sometimes we just get sick and have to get better somehow. .
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #18
SpringMama5
Rosebud

SpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the rough

ACV with honey in water is good for nausea, works all the time. We also use charcoal just after our shot of ACV.
SpringMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice

I found some charcoal capsules at our Walmart yesterday, so now I know that I can get them locally. Thanks! I always dread the sicknesses that come with the change in season around here. Two Christmases back to back, we had the stomach flu. Last year, was awesome, no one was sick.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #20
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

WRT the cinnamon, what we have is
Cinnamomum burmannii.

I don't know which kind that is.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

It's cassia.

Quote:
Scientifically speaking, there is only one true cinnamon, which is most commonly called "Ceylon cinnamon," and comes from the plant Cinnamomum zeylanicum. An alternative scientific name for Ceylon cinnamon is Cinnamomum verum, which simply translates as "true cinnamon."

The term "cassia" never refers to Ceylon cinnamon but rather to other species of cinnamon, including Cinnamomum cassia (alternatively called Cinnamomum aromaticaum) and Cinnamomum burmannii. While most simply referred to as "cassia," you'll often find Cinnamomum aromaticaum being referred to as "Chinese cinnamon" or "Saigon cinnamon," and you'll find Cinnamomum burmannii being called "Java cinnamon" or "Padang cassia."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=31
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
RealLifeMama (10-03-2014)