Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default I want to hear your migraine story!

Whether they've gone away or you still have them, if you tried herbs, diet changes, meds, supplements, chiropractic, massage, etc. and if they worked or if they didn't. Specifics like dosage and frequency, how long it took something to work, if your migraines were pg related, etc. Just be as specific as you can. Please tell me your story!

Thanks in advance!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day

Last edited by Aerynne; 04-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to hear your migraine story!

I get migraines when pg and when not pg. Not all the time, but when I do, they come on fast and strong.

I believe a lot of my migraines are caused by lighting, either sunlight or fluorescent lights, normally caused by changing lights, such as going outside on a bright sunny day from a darker house, or going into a store from the outside where it was dark, gloomy, rainy type of thing.

I haven't gone to the chiro DURING a migraine, but after, when it's dulled down to a managing level. It doesn't do much, tbh.

I have tried some script years ago for migraines. Supposed to take 2 pills. I took one and was out for the count in 15 minutes. Never took that again.

My migraines normally come with an aura. I usually see bright lights and know, without a doubt, one is on the way. I try, when not pg, to take a larger preemptive type dose of ibu, (at least 800mg) followed by some caffeine, and that helps a bit. When pg, I'm screwed. I do caffeine, tylenol (even though that does NO good for me) and sleep it off.

If at all possible, I need to sleep after taking something, or else I end up vomiting from the migraine.

I haven't found any herbs that work.
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weezie For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezie View Post
I get migraines when pg and when not pg. Not all the time, but when I do, they come on fast and strong.

I believe a lot of my migraines are caused by lighting, either sunlight or fluorescent lights, normally caused by changing lights, such as going outside on a bright sunny day from a darker house, or going into a store from the outside where it was dark, gloomy, rainy type of thing.

I haven't gone to the chiro DURING a migraine, but after, when it's dulled down to a managing level. It doesn't do much, tbh.

I have tried some script years ago for migraines. Supposed to take 2 pills. I took one and was out for the count in 15 minutes. Never took that again.

My migraines normally come with an aura. I usually see bright lights and know, without a doubt, one is on the way. I try, when not pg, to take a larger preemptive type dose of ibu, (at least 800mg) followed by some caffeine, and that helps a bit. When pg, I'm screwed. I do caffeine, tylenol (even though that does NO good for me) and sleep it off.

If at all possible, I need to sleep after taking something, or else I end up vomiting from the migraine.

I haven't found any herbs that work.
Thanks for sharing your story.

I do the 800 mg ibuprofen, too.

How often do you get migraines?

What herbs have you tried that haven't worked?

I'm trying to solve my own migraines and I want to hear everyone else's experiences.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Weezie
Rose Garden

A sign of God's love...

Weezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond reputeWeezie has a reputation beyond repute

Not very often, maybe once every few months. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Herbs I've tried, hmm. Mainly whatever I have from the chiro for whatever is ailing me. I really don't know.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Beansie (8 yrs)
Trooper (toddling around)

The Boo and The Boy too
Daytime "second mother" to Cindy Lou Hoo and Petunia too
Currently DF and WF for trooper
Weezie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weezie For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Saoirse
Rose Garden

Coming out into the Light!

Saoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond reputeSaoirse has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are completely stress related. When I was married, I had them 4-5 times a week plus I had one after every time x and I had sex. I also lived with chronic pain in my right shoulder. It was about 2 weeks after I left him that I realized I hadn't had a migraine since I left. It felt like being hit by a bus to realize that the pain I'd lived with for more than ten years was a direct result of the stress of my marriage.

I now have them very rarely, maybe once every few months. Mostly when something comes up from the past abuse that I have to process or when I get a nasty email from him.

I used to pop ibuprofen like candy and it hardly touched them. I learned to keep on keeping on with them because I wasn't allowed down time. I could sneak 30 minutes away to lay with some heat on my head while laying in a dark room but if it was longer than that, well, it wasn't worth the mental garbage I went through to try to take care of my physical health.

Since I rarely have them anymore, my pain tolerance isn't what it used to be and now when I get them, they knock me down. I usually take 800 mg ibuprofen, grab the heat for my head, and go to bed.

"A victim lives in fear. A Survivor endures. A victim is weak and powerless, paying for what was not her doing.
A Survivor has grown strong because she knows the price is not hers to pay, the sin is not hers to atone." - unknown

Alis volat propriis

SingleFabulousMamas unite!
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saoirse For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Wow, that is fascinating! So sorry you had to go through that, but wonderful that you have found almost complete relief!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 04-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Bbl

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get really bad migraines all the time. I hardly ever get them now that I have eliminated the triggers form my diet.

MSG, obviously. LOL. Red wine. Dried fruits with sulfer(?)

Here are some common foods that trigger migraines.

Quote:
• Ripened cheeses (such as cheddar, Emmentaler, Stilton, Brie, and Camembert)
• Chocolate
• Marinated, pickled, or fermented food
• Foods that contain nitrites or nitrates (bacon, hot dogs) or MSG (soy sauce, meat tenderizers, seasoned salt)
• Sour cream
• Nuts, peanut butter
• Sourdough bread
• Broad beans, lima beans, fava beans, snow peas
• Figs, raisins, papayas, avocados, red plums
• Citrus fruits
• Excessive amounts (more than 2 cups total) of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee, or cola
• Alcohol (including red wine and beer)
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have them about once a month. I always have an aura first. They got better after I got glasses two years ago, had been getting more frequent, especially after long bouts at the computer.

Then I went gluten free last March and completely grain free two months later and they went away completely. A couple weeks ago I had two, two days apart, the first l'd had in ten months. Still not sure what caused those.

My diet is pretty clean in general, the gluten was the kicker.
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rugayatu For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the short story...

So, migraines started when I was 24. Had a break during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Then came back with a vengeance. Improved for about 6 months with gluten free diet then came back worse after that time (got dx'd with celiac in the meantime, so am still GF).

Triggers for me: barometric pressure changes (I can reliably tell when a storm is coming ), premenstrual, not sleeping well. Stress is to an extent, but not as consistent as the other three.

What I have tried that DIDN'T work: Migrelief vitamin (Mag, feverfew, and B2), Co-Q10 supplementation, Migranal (nasal spray), Nortriptyline (rx), Zonisamide (rx, made me crazy), Verapamil (worked for a little while)

What I have tried that DID work: Topamax (rx; off now), Naprosyn 500 mg/Phenergan 25 mg combination for abortive therapy, Effexor XR 150 mg daily (what I take now), Melatonin 3 mg at night, prednisone 50 mg up to 3 doses for intractable migraine (2 days or more), gluten free, avoid red wines, scopolamine patch helps with the crazy motion sickness if I am in a migraine cycle

What has helped sometimes: occipital nerve block by the neuro, occipital release by the PT.

Since we found that the Effexor works as a preventative, I probably have 1 a week or maybe every couple of weeks. This is a VAST improvement from my life this time last year. And, they are less severe when they occur and I am able to treat them with the Naprosyn/Phenergan instead of being completely incapacitated. I went to a specialized headache center that came up with this plan (my neuro referred me there and manages me now)
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamamonkey For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-13-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have suffered from migraines since I was 7 years old.

As a teen, I got them daily for a while, and was prescribed a form of phenobarbital. I don't recommend it. :P

I did a course of Biofeedback, which actually helped a lot, as I learned to recognize signs of fight or flight in my body and how to counteract them with my mind, to redirect blood flow away from my brain and other major organs.

However, I still suffered with frequent migraines for at least 3 more decades. It often was a confluence of events or triggers, a three-care-pile-up as I liked it refer to it. Low pressure, ovulation/PMS/pregnancy, allergies, trigger foods, stress, exposure to cigarette smoke - whew, bad news.

They have become far less frequent in the past few years (Maybe I get 2 a year now?), and I credit it to the following:

- Taking lots of magnesium (500 mg - 1000 mg at night)
- taking a good B-complex
- exercise
- Vitamin D
- Epsom salt baths
- low sugar/low grains/sufficient protein intake (75 grams per day or more)

If I take 800 mg ibuprofen before it becomes an out-of-control locomotive, I can sometimes head it off at the pass. Otherwise, I need 800-1000 mg ibuprofen + ice on my neck and head + silence + darkness + no movement. Honestly, most people would go to the hospital for the pain levels I have sometimes endured, but the thought of moving to a car, then to a place with bright lights, noice, and people completely shuts down that option.

Peppermint oil on the temples and scalp sometimes helps, and sometimes a warm bath w/ Epsom salts an ice pack on the head can also help, but don't stay too long. Caffeine sometimes helps - like Excedrin migraine or Advil migraine _ coffee, if I can keep anything down. Also, vomiting often helped in the past, but now triggers migraines for me.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-15-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

Will come back later when not on phone
The Following User Says Thank You to doubleblessings For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

On phone but do t want to forget to answer.

Short:
Tried every migraine med available at the time (11 years ago) I reacted negatively to the whole famy of meds. I was put on a daily maintenance med that I also reacted to even though it was a different family of meds.

Insert 2 more pregnancies and years of suffering w/0 relief multiple times a week.
Finished having babes & nursing so I was desperate for another option . Started taking feverfew daily. Reduced frequency by at least half to 75%. Still got migraines from atmospheric and season changes as well as light sensitive. Learned to somehow function under severe pain.

Fast forward years to when I did the candida diet (and the full week cleanse) as a support to my husband and didn't even realize I hadn't had a headache on e until we were 3 months in! That was more than a year ago and I have had exactly 2 migraines since then!

I was always sensitive to headaches from my early teens. They jumped to migraines when I stopped being a vegetarian and had babies. I am now almost a vegetarian again (flexitarian) I absolutely do not eat beef. It is my only 100% guaranteed food trigger. I am sensitive to some certain oils/frid foods. We only use olive oil or coconut oil in our house bc of my sensitivity.

It also helped to have a blood pa bel done and find out where I was with everything there. I need to take vit b & d regularly. W/o my pre-migraine symptoms come back. I have to be careful about food coring and how much sugar I consume too.

In the end nothing tastes good enough for me to be willing to risk a migraine knowingly ever again.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I forgot to say that other than my daily vitamins I do not take anything g anymore for migraines! And the vitamins are for more than the migraines they help my overall function and health.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Findabhair
Rose Bouquet

Findabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud of

I late 2007 and into 2008 I started getting daily migraines. In the beginning they occurred primarily in the evening but by about January or February 2008 they were primarily during the day. I missed a lot of work because of them and in spring of '08 McDonald's (workplace) insisted I had to see a doctor. Doctor confirmed migraines and told me to take Advil Liquid gels. The pills took the edge off allowing me to work but I was always nauseated.

This continued until I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in September 2008 after having more major stomach issues. I hadn't expected that to be related but shortly after going gluten free they completely went away except for the monthly hormonal ones.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

I get really bad headaches, but never thought they were migraines because I wasn't lying in a dark room. Nine years ago, I had an aura and had my friend drive b/c it was weird.
Shortly after that during supper I couldn't speak clearly, and it freaked me out.
I had a CAT scan, and they saw nothing.

A year ago, I had another aura followed by a mild headache. I haven't thought they were migraines because most of the time, if I take an ibuprofen, it knocks it out. I hate taking meds.

Mine are better with pressure on my temples, so I have hacky sack/rice juggling balls I made DH and I tie them onto my head with my bathrobe belt. Cold helps too.

I threw up this summer with one, and a GCM who was visiting said it looked like a migraine. I have been super nauseous a couple times this winter.
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-15-2014)