Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Findabhair
Rose Bouquet

Findabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud of
Default Is this considered "infertility"?

Sorry, I'm not sure where to put this question.

Anyway, as some of you know we're currently in the process of trying to adopt. Our reason for adopting comes up a lot when we're with others in the same situation.

I'm not sure how exactly to deal with this. In 2009 when I was pregnant with DD I had an awful pregnancy which gave me a lot of health issues and during the pregnancy I was on bedrest for 8 months and had severe morning sickness, among other things.

I saw 5 doctors and all advised DH to get a vasectomy because the risk of my getting pregnant again was too high. They suggested if I accidentally got pregnant I should abort.

When people ask why we chose to adopt I say that I couldn't have any more naturally but then I find in these groups they assume can't have any more means infertility and they also ask about my "infertility" when I tell them my story they look at me like I don't really understand infertility and that I made a choice to not have more naturally or at least that's how I feel they're looking at me.

My psychiatrist told me it's infertility because I can't have more even though I can physically conceive but I can see where they're coming from too.

I don't know what to call it though. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this considered "infertility"?

I'd say you are medically prohibited from having more pregnancies. You're not infertile imo.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
daughter_of_faith (10-07-2014), ECingMama (10-07-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (10-07-2014), homesteadmama (10-08-2014), mamamonkey (10-07-2014), milkmommy (10-07-2014), tazmom (10-07-2014), Virginia (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Katigre. You're not infertile but pregnancy would be dangerous for you.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
daughter_of_faith (10-07-2014), ECingMama (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell people you chose not to have any more biological children. Why is none of their business, unless you choose to share more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-07-2014), Virginia (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I'd call it whatever you want It's truly none of people's business You don't have to explain yourself to people if you don't want to
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (10-07-2014), Lady Grey (10-07-2014), mamamonkey (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use the word infertility for your situation

There are probably a lot of similar emotions involved because the end point of both is that the choice to have more children was taken out of your hands. But the journey to get to that point is very different.

Most women who have the label of infertility have 'earned' it through X amount of time going through the emotional roller coaster of 'try, fail, try, fail'. There are emotions and psychological trials that go with that that won't be relevant for your situation.

I don't want to be dismissive of your situation at all, because I can understand how hard it must be to make that sort of decision, but from what I have seen of the infertility community there are a lot of women out there who would be hurt/offended to see the word used in this way and feel it was dismissive of what they have been through, even though what you are going through is also hard, but in a different way.

Both situations are hard but I would try to find another way of describing it other than infertility.

ps. sorry if this isn't coming across in the way I intended. It's late but I wanted to respond Also, there is a lot of hugging in my response
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
daughter_of_faith (10-07-2014), ECingMama (10-07-2014), Findabhair (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
daughter_of_faith
Rose Garden

daughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond reputedaughter_of_faith has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely don't have to answer questions about why you can or cannot have more biological children; however, I definitely wouldn't call it infertility. Like Earthmummy07 said, infertility is trying to conceive for x amount of time without conceiving. This may be primary infertility (trying to conceive first child) or secondary infertility (trying to conceive a sibling).

Mama to 4 Boys ~~ 2003, 2011, 2012, and 2014

and 3 bonus kids (25,
24, and 21)

Please excuse brevity and typos.

daughter_of_faith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daughter_of_faith For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Ravenzmama
Seedling Rose

"The words you speak become the house you live in." Hafiz

Ravenzmama will become famous soon enough

I was infertile for 20 years but now have a 1 year old. They told me the same, as I developed blood clots in my legs after having him. If asked I say it's not possible and if they want to know why I just tell them (politely) that is personal information I don't care to share. No one has ever been bothered by my answer. Maybe you could try something similar, if you want. I just got tired of explaining.
Ravenzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenzmama For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (10-08-2014), Virginia (10-07-2014)