Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #61
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bentonite Clay

Me that is fantastic

I also wanted to give an update - clay has become a serious tool around here . I did a foot soak on Luke a couple of times and now I am doing clay and then a bandaid on his infected puncture wound - after a round of antibiotics it was still there. The sore is improving daily now One wierd thing is that I almost think there is something still in his foot because a black spot has appeared and it's like a little lump

Today, Alyssa's cut from yesterday was all red and icky. We put clay and then a bandaid on it at about 9:30am. By noon it was gross so she took it off and it's improving already

I am so impressed. I am buying a bunch of clay to do full body clay baths to detox. I am also thinking "clay" when things happen compared to it used to sit in the back of the cupboard and by the time I thought of it, it was "too late" (things were gone or gone too far in one instance when dh got and infection and it was cellular by then and needed FAST action).

We are trying to use it on Alyssa's blackheads and breakouts and so far it's not doing anything but we are still working on it . I am tryiing to figure out how to get them to take clay internally but so far they are afraid to try

I have been terrible about taking clay internally though I know it would probably help my alelrgies if I did

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #62
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I need to use mine..I haven't even started.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #63
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
Me that is fantastic

I also wanted to give an update - clay has become a serious tool around here .  I did a foot soak on Luke a couple of times and now I am doing clay and then a bandaid on his infected puncture wound - after a round of antibiotics it was still there.  The sore is improving daily now   One wierd thing is that I almost think there is something still in his foot because a black spot has appeared and it's like a little lump

Today, Alyssa's cut from yesterday was all red and icky.  We put clay and then a bandaid on it at about 9:30am.  By noon it was gross so she took it off and it's improving already

I am so impressed.  I am buying a bunch of clay to do full body clay baths to detox.  I am also thinking "clay" when things happen compared to it used to sit in the back of the cupboard and by the time I thought of it, it was "too late"  (things were gone or gone too far in one instance when dh got and infection and it was cellular by then and needed FAST action). 

We are trying to use it on Alyssa's blackheads and breakouts and so far it's not doing anything but we are still working on it .  I am tryiing to figure out how to get them to take clay internally but so far they are afraid to try

I have been terrible about taking clay internally though I know it would probably help my alelrgies if I did
So glad to hear that Jodi. I know you have had a lot of things coming at you all at once. 
Its easier for me to make a big batch and have it handy to drink. (The texture is a little different that way but im getting better at hiding it in things.)Then I can just throw it in whatever during the day when I remember to. It just works to well for me to forget. For some reason, chocolate makes it disapear completely. I put some in cocoa and I had to retrace my steps to be sure I had added it in.
And for some very odd reason, If I add it to straight lemon juice I actually enjoy it? Very odd because it looks horrible   
Earthslivingclay.com has the internal clay and also a less expensive bath clay. I buy both. I think the bath clay turns out to something like half the cost as the internal clay. I bought it from their current sale at the time so im not so sure. But if you take the clay internally regularly, it takes less over time. Even in the bath.
Something not to miss about clay baths though, is you dont want to stay in to long if you are doing a full strenght clay bath, detox type of bath. I think 20 minutes is the recommended time if I remember off the top of my head.
We do light baths and I cover the metal drain with a plastic lid. Probably not necessary but thats what we do 
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #64
HummusDip

I wish I could find a place that sells this in town. I think I need this bad. I've got some sort of skin issue going on and I feel like the clay would really help. But I don't have a card so I can't purchase anything online.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #65
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

oh man, my entire childhood i swear i was packed in clay! my cousins used to make fun of us because of course my mom always said it cures everything... she's usually right about that stuff.

it's not too bad taken internally if you mix it in juice. make sure you drinks TONS of water if you drink it, though. we mostly use it on cuts, bites, stings, pimples, etc - but now i'm thinking i should try in internally for the bumps on my arms.

marcella, when i use it as a mask it does get really pinchy feeling as it dries... it's probably ok as long as you can handle it.

mamatiger, can you ask your local HFS if they could order it for you?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #66
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I have questions - quite a few of them

1. what are the benefits of foot soak vs bath vs clay on feet for detox
2. how do you do the clay on feet detox - I keep picturing myself trying to walk on clay feet to bed
3. did you post the recipe for brownies somewhere on here (maybe I am missing it in this ever lengthening thread
4. can you explain more about the "full strength" bath - how much do you put in there for kids? Can Savana (2.5) and Luke (6) do it together - they like to bathe together?
5. what have you heard about adhd/autism and clay? If so, do you have links? I talked to a guy on the phone that I ordered my water machine from and he had a lot to say about this when he heard we are also detoxing Luke with clay.
6. what are other ways of consuming it internally besides the brownies and drinking clay in a beverage (I will definitely try juice, lemon juice and letting it sit )

Jen, I definitely notice a tightening in my face on a mask - I haven't done it in awhile though - I have been too busy applying clay all over my kids, supervising clay baths, etc

I am actually going to wait on trying more internal ways until we are used to our alkaline water machine because I don't want anyone to detox too fast and get sick. But I want to have some plans in place.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #67
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

I just starting using clay about 3 wks ago and now I am addicted! I mostly use it on my face and a broken blood vessel has all but disappeared... I am anxious to try it internally. And my oldest ds loves anything in his bath so he loves the clay bath and now asked if he can try drinking it. I am loving it so much that I bought some for my parents and my sis. I have to spread the word...
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #68
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTiger
I wish I could find a place that sells this in town. I think I need this bad. I've got some sort of skin issue going on and I feel like the clay would really help. But I don't have a card so I can't purchase anything online.
I bet if you called the company then asked about sending a money order from the post office or cashiers check from your bank they might take it. Money's money 

Quote:
We are trying to use it on Alyssa's blackheads and breakouts and so far it's not doing anything but we are still working on it .....
I was kind of experimenting tonight and I thought about her. I like using peppermint bronners a lot and whenever im googling I always read raves about how good it works on breakouts. Im not sure if it is the bar or the liquid or both. But I have some baby bronners that I fill my foaming soap pumps with. I got to thinking about using the pump to make the liquid bronners foamy and adding distilled clay water to it. The texture was fantastic. Doing that with peppermint and clay couldnt hurt? Just a thought I had tonight. 

Jen-I would love to hear more about your mom and how and what she did with clay! Im a details kind of person, you cant ever give me to much info

Cant seem to find Marcella's post to quote? But the tightening feeling is totally normal. I use to use a different clay that felt much more than the one I am using now. They even advertise about the "tingle", it was a bit more than a tingle for me though  But I dont get it with the clay I use now unless I put it on a large mole(tmi sorry). Some feel it on scars. I think I posted a reply about that here somewhere from the distributor I use
This is getting kind of hard to keep up with

Quote:
I have questions - quite a few of them

1.  what are the benefits of foot soak vs bath vs clay on feet for detox
2.  how do you do the clay on feet detox - I keep picturing myself trying to walk on clay feet to bed
3.  did you post the recipe for brownies somewhere on here (maybe I am missing it in this ever lengthening thread
4.  can you explain more about the "full strength" bath - how much do you put in there for kids?  Can Savana (2.5) and Luke (6) do it together - they like to bathe together?
5.  what have you heard about adhd/autism and clay?  If so, do you have links? I talked to a guy on the phone that I ordered my water machine from and he had a lot to say about this when he heard we are also detoxing Luke with clay. 
6.  what are other ways of consuming it internally besides the brownies and drinking clay in a beverage (I will definitely try juice, lemon juice and letting it sit )
I wish I knew more about the differences and how it effects the body. Im planning on buying a book about clay as soon as I have some extra cash. In the meantime, googling on all the clay sites and asking Carol at earthslivingclay is where I have been able to gather the info that I am kind of mentally logging. I really wish I knew more.
From just what I have noticed with our bodies reactions though:

1. Foot soak/bath/clay on feet are just different in what we are trying to accomplish. I do foot soaks when my ankles swell from pregnancy. Clay is really good for taking the swelling down for insect bites too though. Not just the kind of swelling I have. Cant really say why I havent learned that yet. yet......
I usually just do my foot soak by putting my feet in the kids' bath. I give them baths because they have symptoms over their body that would be sitting in the water, rather than rubbing a layer all over. But if they have just one area break out I put it on that area if a bath isnt practicle at the time. But a full bath pulls toxins from the entire body rather than just from the feet, like clay on the feet would. We release toxins from all over our body, more noticeable areas are the scalp, armpits, back, ears, and feet, to name a few places. And of course, the clay on the feet works on the same premise as the foot detox pads that are sold. I havent done any reading on exactly how and why it works though.

2. I havent read how other people use it on their feet. For me, I apply a paste. I would cover even the heels and ankles because for me, I can see and feel toxins released from the back and side of my ankles. Cover with plastic or just put them on a towel. Then when you want to wash it off. Keep the towels or plastic wrapped around to get to the tub. Or I guess one could just slather it on sitting on the edge of the tub, read a book or something, then wash it off. 
If you wanted to leave it on overnight I would think putting socks over or some kind of bandage, even old pillow cases secured on would work really good. I have to say though, I havent felt or seen the need to leave it on that long since we take clay internally.
It works best if allowed to work slowly and surely overtime. It'll work the other way but to get the most out of it, it has to be done over time. Remember, mostly everything that clay heals starts in the gut/digestive. Kind of like a pipe. Its better to clean from the starting end out, rather than try to clean from the end up, kwim? The stomach is the starting point. The feet, the skin, all that is just a result of the starting point getting overloaded.

3. I mentioned it could be put in brownies in passing. The recipe is on aboutclay.com

4. The pamphlet I got with my clay said something like 1 or 2 cups in the bath. Didnt specifiy if it was for adults or children. I have only used it that strength a couple of times in the beginning. Since we keep up with it internally I wouldnt go that strong again unless we were having a flare up of some kind. Or if we were sick.
Older dd (6 yrs) just tonight told me she felt a little achy after her clay bath. One of the signs if someone stays to long in a detox bath. But since I only put a light sprinkle in, I think her system is clearing enough that even with a light sprinkle of clay I need to take her out after 20 minutes.
But ds (4yrs), who has the worst eczema, is still wanting to stay in his light bath and says how "comfy" he feels from the bath. But my youngest who is 2, I do light baths only for 10 minutes tops. And only if she needs not.
If 20 minutes is max for detoxing full strength for adults, I would think the amount and the time for children would have to .be done on an individuals needs and bodies reaction/sensitivity to things
More than one person can use the same bath. But how much and how long depends on each individual.
I started my kids out all in the same bath. No longer than 20 minutes the first time. They did all did fine. But they were needing a good detox. Gut, allergies, eczema, parasites. Every child should be regularly cleansed of these things. Especially in America, but thats another topic, one that I feel most strongly about

5. I first read a testimony from an aunt who noticed a difference with her autistic nephew. I knew already that there are common problems found in children with ASD that could be relieved by using clay. Like metal detoxing,things like viruses in the gut, flora imbalance, things like that. So I made a mental note but I first bought the clay solely for cleansing purposes, so I moved on with my reading. Then after chit chatting and trying to absorb all the info from Carol she mentioned in passing the new studies being done on autistic children with clay. They are pretty recent though.
But the cleansing has been so effective I have noticed a big change with my own kids already. They are undiagnosed(by choice) but have had very distinct ASD symptoms since birth(for lack of a better wording).
Im careful not to say its all about the clay though. But clay is definatley a part of the equation for my children.
Im sure if I asked Carol for more details she would happily give them. Or I could google a bit if the studies arent too new. 

6. Again, Carol sent me some recipes along with my clay. She mentioned quite a few ways over the phone too. Hot sauce, quacamole, muffins, smoothies, juice, brownies, those are the ones I can remember. I have the brownie recipe, a muffin one, and I think the quacamole. Smoothies are simple. You just add the hydrated clay (prepared for external use) in the glass with a plastic spoon.
Basically, you just keep it from coming into contact with metal. The only thing im not sure why, is why it can be baked into the brownies or muffins in metal 
Oh, and if you put it in juice and you have let the hydrated clay sit. It will sort of thicken the juice a bit. It doesnt change the taste but it isnt the same watery juice. Hard to explain. Thats why I rather put it in a smoothie. Because smoothies have a thick consistency anyway.
Same with cocoa or chocolate milk.

Well, I hope I havent made a jumbled mess of my reply.
I look forward to hearing from others as well. I just cant seem to get info enough about clay or have enough time to learn all I wish I could  Like Nicole said, "I just have to spread the word" 

Eta: spaces for easier reading.....and the stalker becomes the stalked
Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #69
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

No perfect. You answered all my questions and gave me something to think about

I thought about adding clay water to alyssa's "face wash" but wouldn't it be to thick to pump out (we also have foaming soap dispensers I could add this to). I am also waiting because acidic water (ph acidic not acid water ) is supposed to be GREAT for skin problems. So I am going to start rehydrating our clay with it for beauty purposes (not internal - acidic water should not be consumed internally ) I also am going to fill our foaming things with acidic water and soap to improve our skin texture.

Another little testimony -- after posting that I hadn't done a mask I went and did one and my "furrow" (a wrinkle by my eyebrow) is gone. I have been doing face excercises because it was bothering me. And by bothering me, I noticed suddenly in february it actually hurt I coudn't believe I was worrying to the point of having a furrow that hurt SO I started doing excercises. And suddenly, I"ve been somewhat obsessed with getting it gone. Of couser, it could be back a bit by tomorrow but now I think I'll do face masks more often. My skin feels amazing. I forgot how good those feel Maybe that would encourage ALyssa to do a full facial with me

I am like a clay junkie now

Thanks for the ideas/tips on internal. Guacamole jumped out at me because LUke LOVES guacamole and I bet I could add some and he'd never know. The o.j. might work if I tell them it's "thick o.j."

Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #70
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you sweetie..hehe

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #71
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jen-I would love to hear more about your mom and how and what she did with clay! Im a details kind of person, you cant ever give me to much info
i'm that way, too! nothing exciting - just clay packs on *everything*. she would make a paste, put it on nice and thick, and then wrap it up with strips of an old sheet. we would leave the packs on until they completely dried.

actually, this past week i've been putting clay packs on ds1... he cut his finger at a playground (tiny cut, more of a scratch), and it got SOOO infected. (of course he didn't tell me until it was really bad) so i've been putting it on that. it looks better, but i think part of the finger nail might fall off... :/

we also use charcoal packs to draw out infection or toxins.

jodi, that's great!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #72
HummusDip

I just emailed earthslivingclay to see if they would accept a money order! yay! I hope they do...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #73
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
I just emailed earthslivingclay to see if they would accept a money order! yay! I hope they do...
I get my clay from frontier --

It's pure clay and I trust it for internal use. Here is what frontier says about their clay

Quote:
Dear Jodi,

Here is the information I have on the bentonite powder from our system :

This product is a highly purified montmorillonite clay refined from
selectively mined natural white bentonite deposits. That is the only
information provided by our supplier in regards to processing. This product
is listing on the FDA GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list for use as a
food ingredient. This is the only information in regards to taking this
product internally that we are allowed to state.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great day !!

Thank You,
XXXXX (name)
Customer Care
Edited cuz I broke a rule - I should know better as an admin

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #74
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Quote:
I used frontier clay --

It's pure clay and I trust it for internal use.
Quote:
Dear Jodi,

Here is the information I have on the bentonite powder from our system :

This product is a highly purified montmorillonite clay refined from
selectively mined natural white bentonite deposits. That is the only
information provided by our supplier in regards to processing. This product
is listing on the FDA GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list for use as a
food ingredient. This is the only information in regards to taking this
product internally that we are allowed to state.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great day !!

Thank You,
XXXXX (name)
Customer Care
I wonder where it is mined from? And if it is underground or exposed. I also wonder why some others specificy green clay and they say white
edited because I broke a rule and you quoted me so I deleted that part of your quote Sorry - SonshineMama
Old 05-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #75
HummusDip

Thanks Jodi! If this lady won't accept a m/o I'd love to do that!