Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone still doing HTCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
Here's a link to the book and the author's webpage. In past threads, most people have been using her second version of the book, so that is probably th one you would want to read. http://www.mindystarnsclark.com/house.php
Thanks. I'll look into it.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I am still doing it as I work through the house.
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #18
BlissfullyEsther
Rose Trellis

BlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond reputeBlissfullyEsther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
But here's something I need ideas from you all on. What do you all do with drawing paper for the kids? I have piles of both new paper (printer, lined, card stock, construction paper) and scratch paper (old flyers, anything that's wrinkled or has a few marks but can still be used). Where/how do you store it so it's easy to access and easy for them to get into without spreading it everywhere?
We have map drawers under the light table (in my crafting area) and one of those map drawers is for kids' paper. Having such a large shallow space for paper helps them make a mess as they dig for paper without the mess leaving the drawer.

In the search for community which combines a love of our Creator with a love of raising children gently.

Echidna, 7.5yo: "Does icebergs (aspergers) mean lots of lego?"
BlissfullyEsther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlissfullyEsther For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
I got a ton out of the old threads too, long before I read the book. But having the book is allowing me to easily flip a the chapter I want when I'm going "Now, what were the solutions for this...."

But here's something I need ideas from you all on. What do you all do with drawing paper for the kids? I have piles of both new paper (printer, lined, card stock, construction paper) and scratch paper (old flyers, anything that's wrinkled or has a few marks but can still be used). Where/how do you store it so it's easy to access and easy for them to get into without spreading it everywhere?
We have a drawer or two for the paper that is drawn on - and a cloth bucket that things can be tossed into quickly. If any of these get full we go through them and either toss things or photograph them and toss them

The unused paper is neatly stored in IKEA magazine boxes - the ones that stand up in/on a bookshelf

Quote:
Are the baskets on the stairs for throwing things in that need to go up?
Yes - I've got a picture, but I'll start a spin off thread for sharing pics
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #20
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation

Oh! I have the perfect shallow drawer! I just need to move things around a little bit. And a magazine holder for the new stuff- perfect!

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

and more importantly what do you do with the mountain of pictures they make with the paper???

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #22
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
and more importantly what do you do with the mountain of pictures they make with the paper???
I keep them in a neat stack until enough days have passed to forget about them, then they make a midnight run to the recycle bin.

For keepsakes, my kids each have a memory box with file folders grouped by year.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on FB, I can pm you the link to the htci group there. Mix of GCM/non-GCMers.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I did start a thread last night http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...74#post5811774
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
charla (08-06-2014), marigold (08-08-2014), saturnfire16 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
take pictures and make a memory book on shutterfly every five years?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #26
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I have still been decluttering and trying to get things more organized. Yesterday I was getting school supplies organized to see what we have and what we might need. Looking at this thread made me realize that I have a 3 drawer plastic unit filled with office/school supplies in the master bedroom closet. There is not room for it in the office, but the master bedroom closet is probably not the most convenient location for it. Yesterday I took the school supply materials out of it and put them on the shelves by the other school supplies in the closet on the stairs. That is a huge closet with toys, games, craft supplies, school supplies, photographs and frames and more. I should probably just put the whole 3 drawer unit thing in there instead of in the master bedroom closet.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are the baskets on the stairs for throwing things in that need to go up?

I'm thinking about doing something like that in the kitchen. The kitchen counter became a catch-all for things in the old house, and I see it happening again already in this house. I'm not sure if I want a little basket on the counter or a small laundry basket size one somewhere near by.
"eavesdropping" because I haven't read the book, but one thing I did when we first moved into this house (very open main floor, toys are stored in their bedroom, I knew that dragging toys down here would be an issue) was take a large square basket I already had and put it at the foot of the stairs. Throughout the day whenever I find random kid stuff I toss it in the basket, during our afternoon tidy time they are supposed to go through and deal with their stuff. I have the option (though I don't generally exercise it) to take away anything left in the basket (or otherwise cluttering the main floor) after they're in bed. Even when there's stuff in the basket it doesn't look horrible. When the basket is full they can carry the whole basket upstairs and deal with it, then bring the empty basket back down. You can see the picture in some of the living room pictures I posted here: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...43#post5805443

Quote:
I got a ton out of the old threads too, long before I read the book. But having the book is allowing me to easily flip a the chapter I want when I'm going "Now, what were the solutions for this...."

I have a plastic 3 drawer thingy in the school room, scrap paper tosses in one of those drawers (other craft stuff in the others) and the kids use that for art projects. Paper I have to actually buy, I keep with my school supplies and they have to ask for it, or we'd spend a fortune LOL.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #28
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I used to take same sized paper to kinkos and have it bound. That made paper easy to find but also kept a million drawings from floating all over the house.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
saturnfire16 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #29
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
I do one of 2 things - either take pictures of them or when the pile gets to a certain point I have them go through and choose their top 3 (they can present a good argument for an additional 2) and we put them in a binder.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
Starfish
Rose Bouquet

Starfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant futureStarfish has a brilliant future

I've also been thinking about the art dilemma.

I've been admiring clipboard art displays http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/clip...layclea-155519

I'm also dreaming up a system where each kid has a sheet protector attached to the wall where they can slide in their newest masterpiece.

For my new job, I have to display art at kid's eye level. Anyone found a good and safe way to display art down low (at toddler eye level?)

INFP~Type 2~Middle Child~Shoe size 8.5
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote