Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I get some info from non-US moms, please?

If you are not in the US, can you tell me the following:

What country you are in
Are homebirths covered by your country's health care system
How common are homebirths in your country (rare, they happen, normal, that kind of measure)
If you had a homebirth, was that decision accepted by your community (feel free to PM me with that if you want or just don't answer - my goal here is not to be personal)

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-27-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I get some info from non-US moms, please?

Canada.
Yes.
They happen.
People who disagreed with me kept their opinions to themselves, although apparently I am an intimidating person Nobody said anything unaccepting to me directly, but I know I had family members who thought it was a dangerous choice. My community overall was supportive of my decision.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-27-2019), hollybells (10-30-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #3
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

I'm in the UK. Home births are covered by our health care system (NHS) and every pregnant woman is supposed to have the choice of where to give birth (home, birthing centre, hospital - obviously this will depend to an extent on the needs of her and her baby). Midwives are generally supportive of home birth (though not all are); doctors tend not to be.
I believe the home birth rate nationally is around 2%, though it varies according to area. I think it's as high as 4-5% in some places, and I imagine it's virtually unheard of in others, depending on how supportive the local hospital is. Some places have dedicated home birth teams whereas in others it's dealt with by ordinary community midwives who also have to fit ante and post natal care into their workloads.
I had two home births and I would say that most people were positive, though I'm sure a few were just too polite to say anything! It was a relatively well-known choice where I had my babies.
Please PM me if you have any more questions, as I have some contacts in the birth world who may be able to give more details if you want them.
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-25-2019), everybody's mother (10-27-2019), Llee (10-26-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Can I get some info from non-US moms, please?

Canada

Not covered at all in my province

They're VERY rare here, as our only option is UC

I UCd two of my babies & I had a small support network of moms who'd also UCd, and they were literally the only people who knew the plan. My family knew nothing (though I guess weren't surprised the second time).

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-25-2019), everybody's mother (10-27-2019), hollybells (10-30-2019), Llee (10-26-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I forgot it was province-by-province here, as Sundance pointed out. There's a good summary at the bottom of this page.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-25-2019), everybody's mother (10-27-2019), hollybells (10-30-2019), Llee (10-26-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-27-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

Australia
Not covered. Also, midwives can't get public liability insurance for homebirths. (Afaik that hasn't changed)
It can be very hard to find homebirth midwives, so homebirth is rare, although occasional freebirths happen, too.
I had one home birth and one in a birthing centre run by private midwives. I don't remember anyone giving negative opinions, but... they know better
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-25-2019), ECingMama (10-25-2019), everybody's mother (10-27-2019), Llee (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
Australia
Not covered. Also, midwives can't get public liability insurance for homebirths. (Afaik that hasn't changed)
It can be very hard to find homebirth midwives, so homebirth is rare, although occasional freebirths happen, too.
I had one home birth and one in a birthing centre run by private midwives. I don't remember anyone giving negative opinions, but... they know better
State by state. In my state there is a conservative HB program I was eligible for by having no risk factors or complications and used twice. It was fully subsided by the state government so no cost and it included the prenatal plus the check ups afterward. For women who do not meet the program’s criteria there are private midwives you can hire out of pocket. I thought the indemnity (same as malpractice in the US) insurance issue was resolved.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-26-2019), everybody's mother (10-27-2019), Llee (10-26-2019), Tasmanian Saint (10-26-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #9
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the UK. Each county is run by a local council, mor example, Moray Council,Perthshire council, Edinburgh council etc, and we have the Scottish NHS and the English NHS. Home births are covered by the NHS, you can of course pay for a midwife who is private but I've never heard of anyone doing so. The mws here are very good, in my county anyway. I didn't home birth because of my previous cs with autumn and the fact that my amniotic fluid disappeared so the last 3 babies needed to be induced because it was getting dangerous for them. But home birth is supported here in my county and I believe it's the same all over the UK. Dh's Aunt had 4 himebirths, I think H (her last) is in her teens now and their eldest (D died from leukemia when she was 10) would've been 25 and I believe she had a hb with her too. There are usually 2 mws on duty during a hb and all are highly trained. It's 100% covered by the NHS. The only thing you'd need to pay out for was anything extra you particularly wanted.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I should also say his aunt is in England so she is covered by the English NHS and I am covered by the Scottish NHS.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weerach For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weerach View Post
We are in the UK. Each county is run by a local council, mor example, Moray Council,Perthshire council, Edinburgh council etc, and we have the Scottish NHS and the English NHS. ...
How common are they and how much are they recognized in society as part of the 'norm'?

Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
How common are they and how much are they recognized in society as part of the 'norm'?
Re UK, which is where I was born/grew up:
National statistics show annual rate varying between 2.1% and 2.9%, depending on the year.
30 years ago I was born in the hospital because my mum's GP sort of discouraged her from home birth (like, eh I'd rather you didn't, especially for your first birth). But she gave birth to my sister at home in 1997. The midwife was awesome, and there was a student midwife with her too.
So I'm used to home birth being normal, obviously it's actually pretty uncommon. But my impression is that it's not too out there. My school friend's sister wanted a home birth, some other person from school wanted one. Medically they may have not worked out, but that shows the desire/interest is greater than the 2%. I've also noticed that some friends who seemed very medically minded at the time I gave birth were much more natural by the time they gave birth, part of which seemed down to the info they received from their midwives. So home birth might have seemed odd when they were 20, but, even if it still wasn't their cup of tea, it seemed much less odd after they'd been through a pregnancy themselves.
I tried to find county rates and couldn't, but I did find that my region, South West, had the highest rate in England & Wales! North East was lowest. Scotland is even lower, less than 1%.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-30-2019), Llee (10-30-2019), Vicki_T (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
CelticJourney
Administrator

Interesting. I do wonder about homebirthing second (and beyond) pregnancies. Here, you don't get homebirth info unless you seek it out and even then, you have to know to look for it.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
If you are not in the US, can you tell me the following:

What country you are in
Are homebirths covered by your country's health care system
How common are homebirths in your country (rare, they happen, normal, that kind of measure)
If you had a homebirth, was that decision accepted by your community (feel free to PM me with that if you want or just don't answer - my goal here is not to be personal)
1)I am in Australia, in NSW
2)Home births are covered by Medicare (public health) if you fit the criteria I believe. You can also have private home births that are covered to some extent by private health cover if you have it
3) I would say home births are not common here, but they do happen
4) I would have loved a home birth but sadly pregnancy complications meant I was not eligible

Hope that helps
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote