Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soaking beans and getting a bad bad smell

I soaked some chick peas, a lot of chick peas, for about 36 hours. When I drained the liquid ( just salt and water) this morning it smelled horrible. Rotten? Some of the chick peas had started to sprout, but otherwise I couldn't see anything odd. The liquid was yellow, like lemon juice, but the liquid usually takes on the color of the beans.

I decided to cook them anyway because it is 2lbs of chickpeas and I had planned to make something with them today and I really really don't want to go to the store. But now, even while they are cooking they still smell.

What would you do?!
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soaking beans and getting a bad bad smell

probably toss or actually you have pregnant nose so maybe ask your kids if they think it smells first but if they say it is stinky then toss. did you sort through first? sometimes just one bad bean can make the whole batch bad.

do you normally soak that long? because that does seem like a long time to soak unless you were rinsing and changing the water

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

I don't usually soak that long, but I got busy yesterday. It was also really hot here, so I think that contributed to the smell. The kids have definitely noticed the smell, it is not just me. I haven't decided whether to toss them or not. I tried a cooked one and it tasted fine so
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Toss.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

but a bad smell means they fermented with bad bacteria. fermenting is fine, and good many times, but a bad smell always means bad bacteria got in and their off gases is what give the bad smell. they may taste fine but you will risk an upset tummy if you decide to eat them

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I would toss them.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely toss. Not worth the risk.

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I think beans always smell bad when soaking and cooking and I've never gotten sick from eating them.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
CJNeeley
Rose Bush

CJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to beholdCJNeeley is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes when soaking lentils/split peas enough to spout I have noticed a strong "buttered popcorn" type of smell. I don't tend to try sprout beans though so I don't know what type of smell they might create... I think if i were in this situation I would rinse them well to see if the beans themselves stunk or it was something in the stagnant water (except of course, I probably wouldn't bother with such an off-putting task if I were pregnant and might toss them to not have to handle them more). If after well rinsed the beans themselves smelled fine I would probably use them but if not toss them. I know nothing on where the food safety line falls here, but I would do this as a midpoint between salvaging the effort/money I'd already invested and ick factor... (Of course, I will not cook any food that stinks before it goes in the pan for fear the heat will just increase the intensity of the smell and disperse it thru my house.)

ETA: And I just noticed the date, so I reckon you already had to make a decision by know and my input was just silly. Ooops!

Last edited by CJNeeley; 07-28-2015 at 12:00 PM.
CJNeeley is offline   Reply With Quote