Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #46
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Amythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Macular Degeneration when you're only 35?? Update page 2

My vision has improved a lot. When it's bright enough I can see, it just is like looking through a light grey fog. But I could see some of the letters on the chart. Not the sign on the door though with letters the same size, it wasn't bright enough for that. My eye was indeed absorbing the blood and fluid from the hemorhage though. The OCT test didn't change, the size of the osteoma is the same, he did show me how you were supposed to be able to see through the back of the eye but how mine was just a layer of white in the "picture" because the light could not penetrate the bone. Anyway. I don't like getting the shots. My eye has a bloody spot in it and it stings and is dry so I've been using eye drops and that helps. The next shot is set for May 26th.
arelyn (04-29-2015), graciousmomma (04-28-2015), Singingmom (04-29-2015), tempus vernum (04-30-2015), Zooey (05-06-2015)
The Following 8 Users Say they are praying for Amythestmama:
arelyn (04-29-2015), ArmsOfLove (05-08-2015), graciousmomma (04-28-2015), mom23sons (04-29-2015), Pragmatist (04-29-2015), Singingmom (04-29-2015), tempus vernum (04-30-2015), Zooey (05-06-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #47
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Amythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet Macular Degeneration when you're only 35?? Update page 2

The Drs office called today and demanded why we wouldn't just pay them the $1041 we owed them if we had $5000 in savings. And why wouldn't we pay them if we had insurance? And why were we saying we didn't? I asked what on earth they were talking about. The stupid financial worksheet I filled out caused more trouble than anything. Yes, H's paystub shows a deduction for insurance...LIFE insurance that the company has been required to have on each worker so that if they are killed on the job, there will be a way to pay to bury them. Yes, H has a life insurance policy that he pays for separate from the company also. But it's in case he dies, it's not like we can go say to them give us money! anyway. I asked what they thought? We were made of money and were just hoarding it or what?!? I asked why they'd call me mad about that when we'd never once said we wouldn't pay them, we just wanted the same discounts they'd give an someone who did have insurance. I explained why H has life insurance- he's the sole breadwinner and what am I going to do if he dies while I've got four kids to raise?!? They said you have four kids?? It says four here. We thought that meant you had a four year old. No, I have a 9,8,7,&5 year olds. Anyway. They wanted paid and they wanted paid now. No matter that the bill said we had 30 days to pay. I said they'd have to talk to H because he was the only one who could access the money to pay them, I could not. So they agreed to talk to him so he was able to pay them $885 instead of $1041. Now he's up in a knot about me getting the proper paperwork to CHM to get him reimbursed ASAP.
Then they also called back later to say that the drug company denied the application for the grant that would provide the drug for free. My diagnosis isn't eligible. The drug is made for macular degeneration not choroidal osteoma with choroidal neovascular membranes complicating it. They said they'd notify the dr and see what he said as to whether they'd offer any more shots to me. The dr did not call me so until he does, I'll assume I'm still supposed to go in on May 26 for the next shot.
backtobasicsmum (05-11-2015), Chaos Coordinator (05-08-2015), FlyingBlueKiwi (07-09-2015), graciousmomma (05-08-2015), passthemanna (05-07-2015), Pragmatist (05-08-2015), rosesnsnails (05-07-2015), tempus vernum (05-10-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #48
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choroidal Osteoma, update post #47

Oh my. That is so unprofessional.

You may qualify for Medicaid based on your dx. Or social security. It's worth visiting your local office to find out. You may also qualify for one time aid from your county depending on income. A social worker should be able to help you tap into what is available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-08-2015), Hopetobe (07-26-2015), knitlove (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #49
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Have you talked to the people at CHM for help talking with them?

My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #50
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry about the way they treated you. I would write a concise letter to the dr advising him of the treatment you received from his staff and hand it to him! Or first ask to speak to the practice manager if that was not one of the people you spoke to you that way. That does sound so unprofessional.

I still absolutely would see about a second opinion on the management options for choroidal osteoma. I know it might cost a bit but that would be worth it when you have something like this going on.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #51
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipennsn View Post
Have you talked to the people at CHM for help talking with them?

Yeah, they said I had to talk to them first and fill out papers to allow CHM to talk to them if they were to call them...but that they, the Drs office had to call CHM, CHM would not call them.
Frankly, I'm tired of it all. Trying to talk to this place and that place and figure out what to do and how to pay for it. Yes I will be sad to loose my sight in that eye, but if it's going to happen, why dump this kind of money into it and stress everybody out over it??
Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #52
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

You are worth fighting for. That is why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-11-2015), FlyingBlueKiwi (07-09-2015), Hopetobe (07-26-2015), Little Forest (05-17-2015), mipennsn (05-11-2015), mom23sons (05-10-2015), passthemanna (05-11-2015), Pragmatist (05-11-2015), Virginia (05-10-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #53
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for state care and SSI now. They will usually pay back bills as well. Can you find another care provider?

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #54
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

What is SSI? I'm pretty sure we(H) makes too much money to qualify for state aid. I don't know where I'd even look for another dr. I am planning to ask more questions at the next appointment which has been moved to June now.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #55
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

I'm pretty sure you would apply for SSDI which is social security disability.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-17-2015), Hopetobe (07-26-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #56
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
I'm pretty sure you would apply for SSDI which is social security disability.

Yes, the guidelines change a lot once you have a disability. And partial blindness is certainly considered a disability. You could apply for SSI and each state has different waiver programs, some of which can apply to adults (at least in my state) and allow you to get medicaid. It is complicated and confusing but could be worth doing.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (07-26-2015), knitlove (05-17-2015), sweetpeasmommy (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #57
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, SSI is based on your disability. People with disabilities are eligible for state medical or medicaid based on that. Even if you already have insurance it can pick up what they want cover.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #58
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I am *quite sure* that SSDI uses the definition of legal blindness as 20/200 or worse in the better eye (or a certain amount of reduced visual field which doesn't apply here), so if you lose vision in only one eye, it won't apply unfortunately.

I did a bit of reading up and it sounds like this is the current treatment protocol. There is a less expensive but less effective treatment of verteporfin plus a laser light which had been around prior to the Lucentis injections. That probably wasn't offered to you as an option though as it is not what they are usually doing for choroidal osteomas at the moment. It sounds like it is expected to get worse and then stabilize; is that the idea your dr has given you?

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #59
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
I am *quite sure* that SSDI uses the definition of legal blindness as 20/200 or worse in the better eye (or a certain amount of reduced visual field which doesn't apply here), so if you lose vision in only one eye, it won't apply unfortunately.

I did a bit of reading up and it sounds like this is the current treatment protocol. There is a less expensive but less effective treatment of verteporfin plus a laser light which had been around prior to the Lucentis injections. That probably wasn't offered to you as an option though as it is not what they are usually doing for choroidal osteomas at the moment. It sounds like it is expected to get worse and then stabilize; is that the idea your dr has given you?
Yes, he talked about the laser treatment to break up the edges of the calcification but said that at this stage, the calcified area is so large that the laser surgery was not an option as it would create a large scar area which would take away my sight now. He told me it would get worse, they don't know how long it will take, but eventually the entire choroid will calcify at which time the retina will detach and they won't be able to do anything about it because there won't be anything to reattach the retina to, it will all be calcified. I looked at their scan and there's only a small portion of the choroid that isn't calcified. The center is also very thick, it does thin toward the edges.
Today, there is a small blacked out spot in the center of my vision again. It's not nearly as big as it was before so I don't know what to think about that.
arelyn (05-18-2015), Atsirk (05-18-2015), Chaos Coordinator (05-18-2015), Pragmatist (05-19-2015), Singingmom (05-19-2015), tempus vernum (05-19-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #60
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

New update: so far the bleed has now become fibrous and is no longer bleeding. The dr said it has responded well to the shot, yes I only got one. I asked him what his thoughts were about me not getting any further treatment until a new bleed comes up. He said he'd prefer to watch it and perhaps spot the beginning of the bleed and head it off with another shot but he could understand where I was coming from. He said there was nothing they can do for me other than the shot when a bleed occurs or seems likely so he said he'd be ok with giving it another check in 11 weeks and then letting it go until another bleed occurs. But. The pressure in my eyes has been consistently high at every check up I've had since the bleed occurred in April. It varies between 28-32 in both eyes. Highest it's supposed to ever be is 21 and that's considered concerning. So he wants me to see another eye dr to check that out and monitor it and possibly get drops for that or surgery. He said if the pressure is this high all the time, and considering my vision has noticeably declined already, that he feels if left untreated, I will be blind in 5 years. I have no idea how much that will cost- these new dr visits and treatments. I don't know if it's really necessary....research indicates that high pressure in the eyes means you are a glaucoma suspect...it doesn't mean you will have glaucoma, but it's an increased risk factor; some people just have higher pressure in their eyes and nothing comes of it. One study said that treating high pressure would prevent/lessen the impact of glaucoma in 4% of cases- literally 4 out of 100 and the other 96 people had high pressure that didn't do anything. The high pressure is unrelated to the choroidal osteoma so I don't know how CHM will handle that, it's a separate diagnosis, so I'm afraid it will start the medical bills all over and we have to pay another $500 for this diagnosis before they'll help. They still haven't done anything except say they've received the bills I've submitted. Anyway. Just trying to process it all and decide whether to seek treatment or just forget it since I personally can't pay for it.
Singingmom (07-09-2015), tempus vernum (07-09-2015)
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for Amythestmama:
FlyingBlueKiwi (07-09-2015), Singingmom (07-09-2015), tempus vernum (07-09-2015)