Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #31
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dd will never take "advanced math"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I agree. My friend up the street has her associate's and makes $30/hr as an MRI tech. That's $60k+ a year. Around here, blue collar jobs (like plumbers) make more than that
Here all associate level technical healthcare jobs require alg 1. I’ve not yet seen beyond that required.
To clarify, my dd will start around $40k ish but the growth potential is amazing and I was told by a few RN’s not to worry (somehow I got the impression surgical tech was a kind of dead end career they corrected me and told me $90k+ is very possible within a short time frame if she chooses to certify in a lot of surgical types. She could hang out in the 40-65k range or she can continually earn more I breathed a sigh of relief cuz I thought it was a $40k for the indefinite future job and I think the new generation may need significantly more than that to support themselves.

that’s the only reason I know specifics

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-04-2018), milkmommy (09-04-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #32
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

The local college here where people can get all kinds of 2 and 4 year degrees has a large variety of technical healthcare programs and requires NOTHING specific course wise. They just have to pass the entrance exams

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-05-2018), milkmommy (09-04-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #33
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
The local college here where people can get all kinds of 2 and 4 year degrees has a large variety of technical healthcare programs and requires NOTHING specific course wise. They just have to pass the entrance exams
My DH teaches at a small local college which our kids are allowed to attend for "free" (tuition we still have to pay books and fees) Math wise honestly worse case she might have to take a remedial math to bring her more up to speed if we can't quite get her there before that day comes.
Llee (09-05-2018), tempus vernum (09-04-2018), Virginia (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #34
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a great option.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #35
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
My DH teaches at a small local college which our kids are allowed to attend for "free" (tuition we still have to pay books and fees) Math wise honestly worse case she might have to take a remedial math to bring her more up to speed if we can't quite get her there before that day comes.
That is amazing they can get free tuition Says the mom watching my dd pay cash for college Which I am happy she can do it but it's so much money still

If she can take remedial math and still get in, I'm not sure I'd worry I wouldn't quit trying to get here "there." BUT when a child is struggling sometimes all they need is time. I have heard of kids who really really struggled to get all the way through Alg 1, Geo and Alg 2 only to go off take remedial math and then really do well in the higher level college level math classes surpassing what teachers/parents though they were capable of. WHY? Because their brains don't stop developing till 25 and some kids just struggle in high school.

I have also heard about many students who take Alg 1 in 8th grade, Geometry 9th, Alg 2 Sophomore and stop. by the time they are taking the ACT (junior and senior year) they have forgotten a lotand end up w a lower ACT score for math even with math prep. Then they don't study for placement tests and get placed in lower than 100 level classes Not sure why they don't study but I've *heard* college is such a huge adjustment that one "easy/review" class is nice. So.. . . there are fairly full remedial math and english classes for the freshmen

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-05-2018), knitlove (09-05-2018), milkmommy (09-04-2018), mommylove (09-04-2018), Quiteria (09-05-2018)