Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uggh, my dog

I had posted back in the summer regarding my issues with my dog http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...=Dandelion+dog .

I was really fed up, and probably some of it was hormonal and just overall life stress related. But in the last 2 months things seemed to mellow and I was enjoying her. Ds1 and my mom have been taking her to the dog park frequently and she hasn't been running outside as often (which is mostly due to the kids going in and out less frequently, but still).

But now this week it feels like it is all going down hill again. Wednesday she rolled in dog poop while on a walk, made a giant gross mess of her face, collar, etc. Then later that day she ran out the front door and would not come for 5+ minutes, darting back and forth into the street. Ds1 finally tricked her into getting into the car to get her back into the house. Thursday she jumped up on the counter and ds5's highchair at least three times, possibly more. She never does it when I am in the room, I just find the evidence later. Friday she did more counter surfing when I was not in the room. Today she jumped up at least once on the counter and knocked stuff off, then to top it off she rolled in dog poo at the dog park

I just don't know what to do. I had decided that I was commited to keeping her, and I am, but at the same time

I would consider doing some more training, but I just wonder if it is really going to help with these behaviors that we can't really catch her doing. And since we are adding a baby any day now, dog training has to take a back burner for at least 2-3 months.

I would love some gentle advice.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Dandelion:
Quiteria (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uggh, my dog

Yes, I do think training will fix those things but not all trainers are created equal. I do not believe group classes will help, imo, but one-on-one training.

A good trainer can think like a dog and teach you to think like a dog. Once you can do that, you'll be able to train any future dogs yourself.

It takes time and commitment (and money, initially) though.

The dog poop-- by any chance had she recently had a bath? Some dogs really despise scented shampoo and will do anything to get rid of the fragrance.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (11-07-2015), everybody's mother (11-09-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Someone in the other thread suggested approaching your mom to see if she would be willing to take the dog (re-homing) since she expressed some willingness to pay for training. That could potentially be a very good solution so that the dog is still around for your most attached child to visit or at least hear updates if grandma lives too far away. Otherwise, I would consider talking to your child about how the dog deserves a home where EVERYONE adores him and spends time with him, even if that home is with a single guy with no kids...that some of the behaviors the dog exhibits show that she's worried about her place and not feeling bonded...the way she's sort of hiding misbehavior without actually correcting it, and not terribly friendly toward everyone if you get in her way.

I would actually try NOT to connect it directly to the new baby, but just that you've been at this for a long, long while. Maybe she needs a country home where she can go outside without fearing that she'll get run over in the street, or a kid-free home where someone can keep her under constant supervision to train her to actually keep off the counters. As tough as it will be for your son to let her go, I would encourage him to think about what's best for her, rather than evaluating whether or not you and he should keep on trying harder.

We had to re-home our pets once for a different reason, when we were moving, and while it physically ached to say goodbye to them, they did warm up to their new home and thrived under the attention...and after our baby was born shortly thereafter, not having to take care of them was extremely helpful. I know, it's a last-resort option that people should not take lightly, and certainly you have to find a loving home rather than a kill-shelter, but I think it's a better option for almost everyone involved than continuing to struggle with her.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (11-07-2015), ECingMama (11-07-2015), ShangriLewis (11-09-2015), sweetpeasmommy (11-08-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

We got a dog from another family who couldn't keep him. We love him so much.

I agree with the previous poster's eloquent reply.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote