Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teach kids to stop asking questions?

I think I started explaining introvert/extrovert and the concept of needing to recharge when A was around age seven and she really seemed to grasp it around age nine. Now,I can just tell her that I'm feeling drained or "I need quiet so I can be inside my own head." And she stops talking for awhile.

Reading is a great way for me to connect with my kids,be around them and they can hear my voice. What Katigre's said
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-01-2017), MercyInDisguise (07-19-2017), MrsHutch (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #17
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I (unhealthily) deal with stress by closing in on myself and pushing others away, and the last 6 months have been very stressful with our move and DH traveling a lot.
I guess I need to be very honest here. I grew up in a military family. Moved at 1yo, 3yo, twice in Germany before coming back to the states to start my third kindergarden in Georgia. You are making the decision to take these kids away from everything they know ON TOP OF everything they have already been through. Yes, there are boundaries to things like this and you can gently teach them about healthy relationships. BUT when you move you will be everything they have to hold onto to feel safe and secure and you need to prepare yourself NOW to not only be present for them AND not have that extrovert outlet of other adults. It's not an easy thing as either the mom or the child.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
bananacake (07-17-2017), ECingMama (07-17-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), mommychem (07-18-2017), MrsHutch (07-17-2017), Quiteria (07-17-2017), tazmom (07-17-2017), tempus vernum (07-17-2017), TraceMama (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #18
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember how old your DD was when she was removed from long-term foster home? Anxiety possible.

The Turnaround Anti-anxiety program is fantastic. I can't recommend enough.

If questions are anxiety-related, that program will help.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (07-17-2017), Quiteria (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
ChristmasGirl
Rose Garden

love~joy~peace

ChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond repute

As a 1/2 myself I can relate. sometimes I feel like the need to be with people and the need to have space to be in my own thoughts and headspace are in conflict with each other. And I don't know if you are a highly sensitive person like I am (HSP) but I find that certain things like kids fighting and nagging questions really push a physical reaction/sensitivity within me and I just get overloaded. It's a physical and emotional limit thing.

I love all the suggestions everyone gave. I love that you are looking for solutions and realize the place that you are in, I really admire that!

One more thought I had, since I am a preschool teacher, is can you do a visual chart? Like pictures of everything that your family does during the day, and maybe start the morning out as a family putting your day in order so that your kids can refer back to it during the day if they're needing that extra reassurance of what the day holds.

I remember as a kid being so love starved, but yet not feeling safe enough to share my true feelings and thoughts about things (my opinion was not ok) that I would literally sit and read the back of a cereal box to my mom, just to be heard. I'm sure I drove her nuts lol.

❀married to my sweetie for 26 years
❀mom to Lizzie 24 and Eli 20
ChristmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasGirl For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-18-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), MrsHutch (07-17-2017), Quiteria (07-17-2017), schmamy (07-18-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for every comment, even though I'm not responding to all of them. Really, they are each so helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I guess I need to be very honest here. I grew up in a military family. Moved at 1yo, 3yo, twice in Germany before coming back to the states to start my third kindergarden in Georgia. You are making the decision to take these kids away from everything they know ON TOP OF everything they have already been through. Yes, there are boundaries to things like this and you can gently teach them about healthy relationships. BUT when you move you will be everything they have to hold onto to feel safe and secure and you need to prepare yourself NOW to not only be present for them AND not have that extrovert outlet of other adults. It's not an easy thing as either the mom or the child.
This in particular was hard to read but I so needed to hear it. Thank you for not being afraid to speak truth kindly.

H and I have talked a lot today about conversation skills and ways to ask open-ended questions that provoke conversation rather than just simple answer questions that don't lead anywhere. She's loving talking about it with me, and is very excited to learn these skills. She's started reading Speak Up and Get Along, and was telling me things she's learning from it. I've also framed the conversations as trying to help them be ready to start at a "real" school in a few weeks and they are very excited about school so they were very excited to find a few books that would help them make friends.

We are really making efforts to connect with each of the kids in ways that we'd been neglecting lately. It's been refreshing to wake up to all of this and start making efforts to improve.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-18-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), Hermana Linda (07-17-2017), MercyInDisguise (07-19-2017), mommychem (07-18-2017), Quiteria (07-17-2017), schmamy (07-18-2017), simplegirl (07-19-2017), Singingmom (07-17-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:57 AM   #21
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

If you are wanting to work on conversation skillls could you set up a time in your day? Like a tea time? During that time focus on manners and conversation? Shooting from the hip here. I know we had to teach my oldest conversation skills and to stop with all the questions

I do want to say that some of the questions your children are asking are security questions. That's what we called them. Questions that were a clue to the emotional state of ou children. We would get questions like repeated "what's next?""what are we doing tonight?" "What time did you go to bed?" "When did dad leave?" "When will he be home?" And all other variations of that kind told us our children were feeling insecure whether we had a big transition, we fell out of their expected routine, or that kind of thing. It is still a sign now that they are older that they are trying to manage unsettled feelings.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-18-2017), mommychem (07-18-2017), MrsHutch (07-18-2017), Quiteria (07-18-2017), serenityvee (07-18-2017), Soliloquy (07-18-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #22
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper View Post

I do want to say that some of the questions your children are asking are security questions. That's what we called them. Questions that were a clue to the emotional state of ou children. We would get questions like repeated "what's next?""what are we doing tonight?" "What time did you go to bed?" "When did dad leave?" "When will he be home?" And all other variations of that kind told us our children were feeling insecure whether we had a big transition, we fell out of their expected routine, or that kind of thing. It is still a sign now that they are older that they are trying to manage unsettled feelings.
When you describe this I suddenly realize my oldest is asking these. And I was going to say "he doesn't have a history of trauma and hasn't moved/isn't preparing for a new school or life overseas like the Hutch kids"...then I went, oh, but he does have a new baby sister who has turned life upside down

Maybe I need to spin, but I would love to hear tips on how to deal with his feeling insecure or how to help him manage unsettled feelings. The questions haven't gotten to the point where they bug me--or maybe they do but with mom brain I haven't put that together.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (07-18-2017), Quiteria (07-18-2017), Soliloquy (07-18-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017), WanderingJuniper (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #23
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have anything valuable to add, but I wanted to say I am finding this thread very helpful. Thank you for starting it!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
MrsHutch (07-18-2017), OnAMission (07-19-2017), schmamy (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #24
serenityvee
Rosebud

serenityvee is a jewel in the roughserenityvee is a jewel in the roughserenityvee is a jewel in the roughserenityvee is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mrs hutch, I admire your honesty and courage to express your struggle and it's inspiring to hear you look for ways to develop your child's conversation skills.

Communication is something I'm focusing on for my 2.9 year old. I was raised in a codependent home with very poor communication and I need to learn healthy ways of communicating with my son. I'd be interested to know of any resources you find.

I too struggle with the constant need my boy has of me, a friend said to me its like they drain all the life out of you so they can live and that feels like how it is at this age. But from what you share this need of you is constant.

I try to use chunking, which is spending 10 minutes focused time with him and then have 5 minutes or so doing what I like.

I guess we need to plug ourselves into the Holy Spirit every morning before the day begins to get the strength we need and the Father's love to keep us feeling good enough.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
serenityvee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serenityvee For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We focus on conversation skills at dinner.

Ears before mouth. (Make sure no one else is talking before you speak.)

Look at the person who is talking. Think about what they're saying.

Etc
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (07-18-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), hollybells (07-18-2017), Lena O. (07-18-2017), mommychem (07-18-2017), Quiteria (07-18-2017), rdsmommy (07-18-2017), simplegirl (07-19-2017), tempus vernum (07-18-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bullet pointing as I'm "on the run"

* I second the security questions. If at all possible, post a schedule of both meals and activities

* Questions are a way to connect. Children the age of yours are just learning the art of give and take in converstation. They connect by asking you questions.

* Being taken away from bio parents at 6 months is still a severe disruption of an important bond. Even taken at birth can cause attachment disorders (not saying s/he has an attachment disorder, just stating what is known)

*your children have an extra need to have a present parent. Boundaries and setting expectations can help: "I will talk to you now for ten minutes and answer all your questions. After that I need to do xyz and need to concentrate on that, so can't talk to you. You'll need to find something else to do then. When I'm finished, at xx time, we can talk and cuddle/read a book/watch a programme together/ etc"

*high anxiety triggers are moving house (just happened and in the future for you guys), moving jobs (just happened), loss (I guess they left friends behind?) etc. This has been HARD for all of you. You need to look after yourself so you can look after them. Make space for you, so you have space for them

*lastly: Huge hugs. We can do hard things <3 And you are doing them well. Still praying for you all

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Housekat For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-18-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), hollybells (07-18-2017), mommychem (07-19-2017), MrsHutch (07-19-2017), Quiteria (07-18-2017), Reva (07-19-2017), schmamy (07-19-2017), Soliloquy (07-18-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017), WanderingJuniper (07-18-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #27
momma2girls
Rose Bouquet

momma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHutch View Post
Thank you for every comment, even though I'm not responding to all of them. Really, they are each so helpful.

This in particular was hard to read but I so needed to hear it. Thank you for not being afraid to speak truth kindly.

H and I have talked a lot today about conversation skills and ways to ask open-ended questions that provoke conversation rather than just simple answer questions that don't lead anywhere. She's loving talking about it with me, and is very excited to learn these skills. She's started reading Speak Up and Get Along, and was telling me things she's learning from it. I've also framed the conversations as trying to help them be ready to start at a "real" school in a few weeks and they are very excited about school so they were very excited to find a few books that would help them make friends.

We are really making efforts to connect with each of the kids in ways that we'd been neglecting lately. It's been refreshing to wake up to all of this and start making efforts to improve.
If you want I can share some of what we have experienced with this last move of ours. We are a military family that just left some amazing relationships behind and I became my families homebase, sense of security, and always there presence. I am a huge introvert so it's been far from easy but more than worth it. God had been so gracious and given me the ability to handle more than I ever dreamed possible.

Momma to three fabulous girls
11 yrs 9 yrs and 7 yrs
And Momma to my boy
Baby T 4yrs!

Miss K 3 weeks

Pls excuse the typos since I typically post from my phone.
momma2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momma2girls For This Useful Post:
bananacake (07-19-2017), CelticJourney (07-19-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), MrsHutch (07-19-2017), Soliloquy (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #28
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to share a resource- Karyn Purvis and TBRI. It is a connection based approach to dealing with trauma/adoption. Your move may bring to the surface trauma- and I know you want the best tools to help .
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-19-2017), charla (07-19-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), Katigre (07-19-2017), MercyInDisguise (07-19-2017), MrsHutch (07-19-2017), Soliloquy (07-19-2017), TraceMama (07-20-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #29
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is ok to to set up boundaries in a way that the older ones can understand.Like asking questions while you are trying to cook or do other things doesn't work and you need them to wait until you can focus and really think about their questions.You may need to actually set up times during the day and call it a circle time or something where you sit and focus and they can ask away or tell you things

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-01-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #30
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
If you want I can share some of what we have experienced with this last move of ours. We are a military family that just left some amazing relationships behind and I became my families homebase, sense of security, and always there presence. I am a huge introvert so it's been far from easy but more than worth it. God had been so gracious and given me the ability to handle more than I ever dreamed possible.
Thank you, that would be really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
I just wanted to share a resource- Karyn Purvis and TBRI. It is a connection based approach to dealing with trauma/adoption. Your move may bring to the surface trauma- and I know you want the best tools to help .
LOVE Karyn Purvis's work! I should probably refresh myself on some of it before our big move next summer.

This little move to a place we love and where we are surrounded by support and friends has been great practice for next summer when the move will be much bigger and harder.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
bananacake (07-19-2017), everybody's mother (08-01-2017), mommychem (07-19-2017), MudPies (07-19-2017), Quiteria (07-19-2017), schmamy (07-19-2017)