Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Singulair- pros/cons. Risks? Worth it?

My older children are taking Allegra in morning Zyrtec at night. Plus nasal sprays. Both take a natural spray and dd1 takes a prescription as well.

Our amazing doctor wants us to do strict
Sugar free again (we r on occasional right now) and difflucan before we try singulair.

What's the good bad and ugly? Is it no worse than the volume of allergy meds they r on? The goal is to get each down to less
Medication.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singulair- pros/cons. Risks? Worth it?

DD1 had to take that for one year when her allergies were completely out of control. The side effect list freaked me out but she had no issues with it. It does seem much more effective than other allergy medications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-29-2016), tempus vernum (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

It gave my son night terrors. We were steps away from taking him for a psyc evaluation kinda bad scene. At the time we thought it was issues of grief re the passing of his cousin, but then another mom happened to mention something to me that caused me to so some research. He was on it for allergies related to his asthma. Not long after, he was diagnosed with his thyroid condition. Addressing the dietary issues of both the thyroid and the asthma re inflammation about eliminated the need for the allergy meds.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
DD1 had to take that for one year when her allergies were completely out of control. The side effect list freaked me out but she had no issues with it. It does seem much more effective than other allergy medications.

Sorry I didn't meant to thank your post. I am on a new really sensitive touch screen with Tappatalk and it keeps doing that.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

My oldest broke out in a full body rash the first or second day, so that was it for singulair for him. When they prescribed it for my middle child we declined because by then I'd heard about the possible psychiatric side effects. He wouldn't be able to express to us if he felt depressed or anxious.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #6
ChristmasGirl
Rose Garden

love~joy~peace

ChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond repute

My son has been on it for a couple years without any side effects that I know of.

❀married to my sweetie for 26 years
❀mom to Lizzie 24 and Eli 20
ChristmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Caden was on it when he was younger. It really helped his lung function and he had no ill side effects.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psyche For This Useful Post:
ChristmasGirl (07-29-2016), tempus vernum (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

I was on it for years with no obvious issues, but I did not start it until I was 13 or 14. From what I understand, the issues with it tend to be much greater the younger you are. I used it to control exercise induced asthma while I was swimming four hours a day five or six days per week. I used it until age 22. Once I started taking it I only used my rescue inhaler maybe once per year.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

At this point no asthma, food allergies improving and thyroids seem well under control yet my older two kids are suffering tremendously from their seasonal and environmental allergies. Inflammation is a big issue (in sinus passages and in general they are swollen. Their seasonal allergies are skyrocketing but mold and ragweed already high here

I'm just not sure .. It seems all the medication they r on it would be wise to try something stronger and be on 1!

We r starting w difflucan so I have a few more weeks to decide. But I need to decide now since ragweed is going to be high soon and we need a plan of some sort

I did have dd1 go to acupuncture so I'm hopeful that will help as well

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says they are praying for tempus vernum:
Llee (07-29-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I take Singulair. I was off for my last pregnancy, but recently had to go back on it because my asthma was not under control, and it is one of the only things I can take for asthma that does not negatively affect my vocal chords (I am a singer). Inhaled steroids work great, but cause problems with my singing voice because inhaling steroids over your vocal chords will thicken them and cause changes to my singing voice range and quality.

Two of my children are also on Singulair for asthma and allergies, and have been for about a year and a half. They have had no side effects, and it does help their quality of life.
tempus vernum (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

My biggest concern is they don't have asthma and trying to get them off antihistamines while allowing the build up. He did say we could continue the antihistamines w the singular as well but I'm thinking taking them off at least one day 1 and the other day10!

Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

Dd takes it with no issues at all.
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

We started yesterday and because ragweed and dust is over the top high I chose to keep them on their other meds. Day 7 we will stop one and day 14 the other we have had to start eye drops as well so I'm really hoping this works

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
I take Singulair. I was off for my last pregnancy, but recently had to go back on it because my asthma was not under control, and it is one of the only things I can take for asthma that does not negatively affect my vocal chords (I am a singer). Inhaled steroids work great, but cause problems with my singing voice because inhaling steroids over your vocal chords will thicken them and cause changes to my singing voice range and quality.

Two of my children are also on Singulair for asthma and allergies, and have been for about a year and a half. They have had no side effects, and it does help their quality of life.
I forgot to note. This was super helpful because my eldest is being classically trained and my son just began voice lessons a few mi ths ago. They r the two that just started singular and we r always "aware" of how meds affect the vocal chords.

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (08-11-2016)