Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tooth decay is there any genetic component?

The kids' new dentist says no, it is all about diet and proper brushing and flossing. I felt pretty shamed tbh. I didn't have a single cavity until I was 21, but CA has fluoridated water. My kids eat a healthier diet than I did, but their brushing and my staying on top of their brushing is not so great. dh's teeth are bad,tons of dental work needed, but he is very meticulous about brushing and flossing and healthy eating. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tooth decay is there any genetic component?

I think your dentist is wrong, some deficiencies that could impact teeth can be related to mutations or absorption problems, and those aren't always obvious.

Sometimes you can do everything right and still have problems. It's important to do what you can of course, but nothing is perfect.

My parents and my sibling all have multiple fillings and dental issues and I haven't. We were all in the same house, drinking the same water and brushing with the same toothpaste.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-01-2016), HadassahSukkot (08-01-2016), Llee (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

He uses this website called my smile guide. I found the assumptions made to be kind of harsh. It has a dental health questionnaire. Things like do you get anxious if your child gets upset and use sweets to calm him/her? Are you suffering from anxiety and depression which affects the food you/your child eat? I'm paraphrasing, when I am on a desk top, I can copy and paste.

In my case, I didn't realize that children should see a dentist once they had teeth; I waited until they were 3. The first 3+ years of my older two boys' lives, Dh was working 80-100 hours a week and my oldest had an undiagnosed asd. It was crazy hard. But, their diet was really healthy, very little in the way of sweets. I hate the assumptions being made. My littlest one mostly snacks on protein in the car. He asked me if I decided to change how I do things. Um, he likes string cheese and kebab. It's not something I did.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I have a theory that our lower vitamin D levels plus the depletion of mineral content in the soil (which means fewer minerals in our food) are hidden contributors to childhood tooth decay.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
knitlove (08-01-2016), Llee (08-02-2016), mommychem (08-01-2016), SamRose (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I am 38 years old and I have never had a cavity. My kids have both had the same diet and level of dental care and one has not had any cavities and the other has had tons, bad enough that she's had extractions on 2 baby teeth and has 4 crowns (she's 7). My husband had a ton of cavities as a child as well and a few as an adult. I absolutely think it's hereditary, one child got my teeth and one got his.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I believe that there is a genetic component to it. No science to back my assertion, just similar experiences to what everyone else is sharing.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I was ticked, I was waiting 45 minutes assuming that L was going to get dental work done and instead I got a lecture about her teeth and come back in two weeks for the procedure. One sleepy baby plus getting shamed, it was not a good visit.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

The Following User Says they are praying for Beauty4Ashes:
Llee (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think they justify and get paid the outrageous fees with the guilt/shaming system. They can tell themselves it's ok to charge that much because if parents did their jobs there wouldn't be the issues and they can make sure parents don't complain that way either. I had a dentist treat me that way once about my child with cavities, I fired him and drove father to someone else.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-02-2016), Llee (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go back. My dentist says genetics are a factor.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I will get the work done. But. Dh will be switching jobs in October. It is highly likely that his insurance won't cover this guy. It's a shame. The woman who was the kids' dentist was absolutely wonderful, but she had a baby.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Tooth enamel is forming in the womb, and even just using my 4 kids and another mom I know who had 8 kids as examples, it was obvious that our kids with whom we were sickest during pregnancy (i.e. couldnt eat much, or keep much down, or ate anything, no matter how unhealthy as long as it settled our stomachs) had the worst teeth, and the ones where we felt best (i.e. ate the best and were able to keep it down) had the strongest teeth.

I also think what Katigre mentioned could be part of the issue.

Another factor I think could be here is that kids eat more often, good or bad foods, than kids used to. Even if many small meals or portions throughout the day are better for the metabolism than 3 squares a day, if you're having food on your teeth more often, maybe that's contributing to the increase in cavities this generation, too. (Dont get me started on kids getting snacks at every little gathering/class/activity.) I never had a cavity growing up and I didnt even brush twice/day, nor did I floss more than to get something in particular out of my teeth. DH was the same. So genetically speaking I was expecting no issues with my kids, but unfortunately that wasnt the case.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-02-2016), Katigre (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

My first and third children have decay. My second has perfect teeth. I'm left . I'm that this fourth one doesn't have teeth issues. He has six teeth already at nine months old.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you can get a different dentist! I would be angry being spoken to and patronized that way!
I would probably give him a lecture on bedside manner
I think genetics are a factor in pretty much Everything related to a person's health. How much of a factor varies from person to person.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Llee (08-03-2016), mommylove (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post
I hope you can get a different dentist! I would be angry being spoken to and patronized that way!
I would probably give him a lecture on bedside manner
I think genetics are a factor in pretty much Everything related to a person's health. How much of a factor varies from person to person.

ditto

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

One last appointment. By October, we will have a different insurance, so I will no longer be going to that practice.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015