Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homeschool and the teenager....

What does it look like for your family?

Last edited by 2TMama; 01-24-2017 at 06:22 PM.
2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoemeschool and the teenager....

Our curriculum is set up for our teen to work independently quite a bit. Of course, I touch base with him on questions and to grade his assignments. I do sit with him and help with math as he finds it very difficult. The curriculum also provides for times of discussion on various topics that he is learning.

We applied for our state's scholarship program which provides free tuition to a state college as long as you meet certain criteria. He is required to take certain classes and maintain a certain grade point average. It has taken quite a bit of effort on my part to work out his class schedule for each year to make sure we are meeting these class requirements and credits over the course of high school.

Is that the kind of info you were looking for?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

In what ways? It looked very different for my 2 that were homeschooled as teens. Both could get up when they wanted to and we did not follow a timeframe kind of a schedule.One is moe of a morning person and the other not so much. ne was more of academia "nerd" in the best sense of the word and did well and was engaged and kept interested more of traditonal style curric and text while the other def prefers more out of the box creative learning so def much more eclectic in putting it all together for her.Both tended to want to get everything done fairly early in between with breaks in between. I got them both set up ahead of time and would make a pile of books to be used that day for son with a sticky of assigned stuff and ope windows for dd for each course that day on the PC and then they worked pretty independently wherever they wanted. We never did dsks or school room etc.My ds was fine with regular ousehold noise,while dd like it quieter

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

We have an almost 17-y.o. Ds in 11th and just-turned 14-y.o. In 8th. I compile the materials and lesson plans over aummer and they work relatively independently. Ds is in his 4th semester at community college and has been taking 2 classes/semester there and the rest at home. Both kids' math this year is teaching textbooks. Dd also uses a disc based writing course.

The goal is "up & moving" by 9a & ideally done no later than 3-5 depending on several factors. That may sound LONG, but They often don't start until close to 11 and take a break at lunch.

Just curious if our day is fairly typucal, i guess.

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know that there is a fairly typical each fam tends to work out what fits their fam dynamics best

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds a lot like our day.

Dd is 15, 10th grade. She gets up around 8 and starts her math right away. This frees the laptop for the other kids and gets math out of the way. She works very independently. I grade her papers and send them to another hs mom to grade as well. It helps keep things balanced.

Ds is 14, 8th grade. He needs much more guidance still. He is not super self motivated. I write a list of what he needs to do each day. He works down the list in order until it is done. I have to work to remember he does things in order. He doesn't want to switch it.

We leave the house 2 days a week at around noon. Other days they will work until 3 or so. Dd occasionally will work until 5. I make her stop at that point. Whatever isn't done can be saved for the next day.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
2TMama (01-24-2017)