Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist

Has anybody read this article yet?

http://www.businessinsider.com/glute...ication-2014-5

Quote:
It seems to be a "nocebo" effect — the self-diagnosed gluten sensitive patients expected to feel worse on the study diets, so they did. They were also likely more attentive to their intestinal distress, since they had to monitor it for the study.
Thoughts? I know a number of us here may not have Celiac disease but avoid gluten because we notice we feel way better when we're off of it.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gluten Sensitivity May Not Exist

It's one study. And I'd be interested in how they switched between the diets. If they didn't give significant time in between, someone could be reacting to gluten that they had consumed previously.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (08-17-2014), Virginia (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I call baloney. Going gluten free has literally and absolutely changed my life. And I have VERY real effects from cheating.

And you know what, I went gluten free for my fertility issues. I was never expecting it to affect my energy and arthritis like it did, so that couldn't possibly be placebo. I didn't even notice it had helped those until I cheated the first time, and then suddenly I was again feeling like I used to feel all the time.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (08-17-2014), deena (08-24-2014), ECingMama (08-17-2014), HadassahSukkot (08-19-2014), Hannah Elise (08-17-2014), Maedchen (08-19-2014), mommychem (08-17-2014), Rugayatu (08-19-2014), Virginia (08-17-2014), WanderingJuniper (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Those kind of reports were/are just a deliberately inflammatory misinterpretation of the actual study

Quote:
Preliminary research suggests that, in other cases, by-products of gluten digestion may be the problem. Breaking down gliadin and glutenin produces even shorter chains of amino acids—the building blocks of proteins—some of which may behave like morphine and other soporific opiates. Perhaps these molecules explain some of the lethargy exhibited by people who do not have celiac disease but are nonetheless sensitive to wheat, suggests Aristo Vojdani, chief executive officer of Immunosciences Lab in Los Angeles. In a small study by Vojdani and his colleagues, the blood of people classified as gluten-sensitive had higher levels of antibodies that recognize these gluten by-products than blood taken from healthy volunteers.

A final group of potential culprits belongs to a diverse family of carbohydrates such as fructans that are notorious for being difficult to digest. A failure to absorb these compounds into the blood may draw excess water into the digestive tract and agitate its resident bacteria. Because these resilient carbohydrates occur in all kinds of food—not just grains—a gluten-free or wheat-free diet will not necessarily solve anything if these molecules truly are to blame.
"Gluten Sensitivity" May Be a Misnomer for Distinct Illnesses to Various Wheat Proteins

Quote:
The story of this study should have been one of compassion, of complexity and nuance, about how hard it is to negotiate our own health in this world when we’re receiving so many mixed messages and the health care system is pretty woeful when it comes to anything related to food. It could have been an opportunity for news sources to teach, to reach people and communicate that they might not be taking care of themselves as well as they could.

Instead, there were headlines like this: “Unless You Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity Is Probably In Your Head.” And that was from PBS Nova, folks.

Gluten-Free Girl: "Not Again" *WARNING* for language at the link
bliss (08-19-2014), HadassahSukkot (08-19-2014), Hannah Elise (08-17-2014), mommychem (08-17-2014), rosesnsnails (08-20-2014), ShiriChayim (08-17-2014), silverlining (08-17-2014), Virginia (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

So how would they explain the severe and immediate heartburn and gastrointestinal distress I used to get from consuming gluten? The skin rashes I used to have before I switched to GF topical products? (I was just telling DH this morning about how since I finally found and switched to a good gluten-free foundation recently, I have not had any of the red rashy bumps I used to get on my face! Just like I no longer have rashes on my arms since I found GF soap and shampoo.)

Not to my mention that my pms cramping diminished significantly when I went GF, and brain fog I didn't even realize I had lifted. I also noticed a pattern of raging behaviors in DS when he lots of gluten, and verified that this occurred several times. He is now GF and doing about 90% better on that front.

It makes me kind of when people deny this experience and try to say it's all in my head. They could be keeping a lot of people from trying something that will make them feel much better!
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-17-2014), Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read the link/article etc... but
When even anything says words like never or always ect I tend to call baloney as well. I do though think their is possibly a higher percentage of people in recent history who have heard all they "hype" (for lack of a better word) on going gluten free and have then decided that doing so them self has magically cured them often of things they never really had in the first place.
I'll put my MIL right in that category who happily gives going "gluten" free credit for all kinds of things except... 1) She never truly suffered from more than complaining too much and 2) she never gone gluten free more than a few days a time but swears that she is suddenly cured of XYZ then suddenly plagued again when she goes off the diet.
I don't think that gluten free or rather gluten free alternatives as always the best or healthier way (not referring to those who truly are gluten restricted) as in consuming a lot of say alternative pastas or gluten free cereals etc than are often very low in any nutritional value. etc... I do think we all benifit from eliminating or at least greatly reducing hidden gluten like MSG. I alos think focusing on more "real foods" and lower carbs reducing eliminating processed foods empty or low value carbs et for many is always a better choice...
To suggest though that is can't or doesn't exist though I don't by either.
ECingMama (08-17-2014), Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Hannah Elise
Rose Trellis

Hannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond reputeHannah Elise has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, those migraines I always thought were hormonal, that went away when I went gluten-free? Totally placeholders. That explains why after two years of solidly gluten-free eating, when ds2 weaned and I cheated, and didn't experience the GI issues that I used to, and I thought, "Hey, I won't make it a regular part of my diet, but maybe I've had enough gut healing to have it on occasion," that soon after I came down with a migraine that was beyond any "mechanical" (ie, something misaligned in neck or shoulder, pinching a nerve or muscle) migraine I'd had, and even worse than the 3x/week migraines I remembered having during ds1's pregnancy before I'd ever been diagnosed as gluten intolerant... yeah, that was all in my head. Being unable to sta d upright without puking (even on an empty stomach) because of how bad that migraine was... yeah, those weren't hormones, baby. That was gluten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hannah Elise For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure c imagines himself into not pooping for a week and having immediate stomach pains. Even though the last time I accidentally glutened him he was 5 and didn't know what gluten was.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (01-26-2015), squiddles (08-17-2014), ValiantJoy07 (08-20-2014), Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading the book "Grain Brain", which talked tons about how carbs in general are bad for brain health, but it went extensively into studies about gluten issues. The doctor who wrote the book is a neurologist who has seen many a patient who had been looking and looking for answers with no success. When he put them on gluten free diets, their issues resolved themselves. He also talked about how people who are not celiac can be gluten sensitive, and has seen repeated success after success in treating patients by advocating for a gluten free diet. It was a really good read, and he had the studies and clinical experience to back up his expertise.
Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I like not having that really specific gut pain anymore, that pain reminds me of when I got admitted to the hospital and threatened with surgical removal of part of my bowels.

What can I say, I am just too special I guess. It's just so highly offensive that I don't eat gluten even though it won't immediately kill me, people have to comment on how annoying it is that I avoid something that causes me discomfort.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
PlateauMama (08-20-2014), Pragmatist (08-20-2014), sweetpeasmommy (08-17-2014), ValiantJoy07 (08-20-2014), Virginia (08-19-2014), WanderingJuniper (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
It's one study. And I'd be interested in how they switched between the diets. If they didn't give significant time in between, someone could be reacting to gluten that they had consumed previously.
They cycled through a regular diet, gf diet, and high gluten diet with two weeks on each. That is not enough time to tell anything. The study also took people with gastro issues and said the gastro issues remained on all three diets. So they weren't made up problems, these people identified themselves as people with gut issues and said gf helped them. Then they ate gluten for two weeks, didn't eat gluten for two weeks, and ate gluten again for two weeks and had gut problems the whole time. The article completely misrepresents the study, and the study proves nothing.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (08-19-2014), HadassahSukkot (08-19-2014), MrsHutch (08-19-2014), Pragmatist (08-20-2014), ReadingMommy (08-19-2014), Virginia (08-19-2014), WanderingJuniper (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

also:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...7015-10-13.pdf
http://www.massgeneral.org/children/...ivity-faq.aspx
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/gl...oming-Soon.htm
http://gigofecw.org/Links/links.html#GSLinks
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info and great links!

It seems like maybe people who are on gluten free diets aren't actually sensitive to gluten but are sensitive to FODMAPS:
Quote:
On top of that, these other potential dietary triggers — specifically the FODMAPS – could be causing what people have wrongly interpreted as gluten sensitivity. FODMAPS are frequently found in the same foods as gluten. That still doesn't explain why people in the study negatively reacted to diets that were free of all dietary triggers.
Thoughts about that?
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
That still doesn't explain why people in the study negatively reacted to diets that were free of all dietary triggers.
my guess is that should read "known" dietary triggers. I got even better when I gave up corn. LOTS of people are sensitive or allergic to more than one thing.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ValiantJoy07 (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Thanks for all the info and great links!

It seems like maybe people who are on gluten free diets aren't actually sensitive to gluten but are sensitive to FODMAPS:

Thoughts about that?
For me personally, I don't react to any of the other FODMAPS anywhere close to the same as I do gluten. I am open to my intolerance being to other parts of wheat though, not just the gluten. There are other proteins present in the wheat that could very well also be problematic. But it's definitely the *wheat* more than anything else that's an issue for me.

ETA: I do have other sensitivities, though, just not to the same level.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote