Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #16
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't engage on Facebook. Don't engage on Facebook. Don't engage on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeGracie View Post
Wow, that linked blog post was awful to read through.
It was... I couldn't actually finish it.
Save
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
mommychem (06-20-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't engage on Facebook. Don't engage on Facebook. Don't engage on Facebook.

The idea of using "newborn" and "schedule" in the same sentence is , or at least it would be if it didn't cause the heartache it does for babies and parents who fall for that.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-25-2017), Lena O. (06-22-2017), MariJo7 (06-20-2017), MaybeGracie (06-18-2017), rjy9343 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #18
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can pull that off with some babies. I'm not saying that it's a good idea or that the baby won't suffer. Just that you can pull it off with some babies and think it works. I could have probably done that with Jacob and he would have gotten into line pretty quickly.
Ivy would have been a very different story. I have said if I had chosen that approach with her, I don't think she would have survived. Or if she did, she would have been scarred for the rest of her life.
I think my two children sum up the problem with all one size fits all formulas. If you have a passive child or at least one who isn't as intense as others, you can make that work. If you have a child with any amount of spunk, you are fighting your child's nature and that's just a losing battle no matter who wins.
I'll pray, if God could reach me with a four day old newborn, then he can reach this person.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-19-2017), squiddles (06-21-2017), twentysixcats (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #19
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gracious! Id never heard of Dr Denmark before! I dare say shes got even worse advice on sleeping and feeding than what Ive heard of Babywise!
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #20
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

That blog was awful. A 3-day-old baby, being left to CIO without food or water from 10 pm until 6 pm. That is absolutely child neglect. A baby that young can get dehydrated in that amount of time, especially if baby is crying.

I commented on the blog post.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-21-2017), MariJo7 (06-21-2017), MaybeGracie (06-20-2017), mommychem (06-21-2017), rjy9343 (06-20-2017), squiddles (06-21-2017), twentysixcats (06-20-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #21
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

This church I mentioned that loved Dr. Denmark has a very well known singer who is the worship leader. She had her first baby a few years ago and she posted on FB something about "Why is it that the baby sleeps all day except from 10pm to 6am?" She was just trying to be lighthearted (and didn't say anything to indicate she was letting baby CIO or withhold nursing), but I knew from that comment that they'd gotten her with the Dr. Denmark schedule. It broke my heart. I decided not to engage with that comment on FB for my own sanity but .

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is an ethical way to conduct studies on kids whose parents did this kind of thing to them and one on kids whose parents did not and see just what and how profound the short and long term effects of CIO and the like really is. I know cortisol and other hormones have been measured, but I wonder if there is a way to show what else is happening and will continue to happen to those babies. It seems to me that if we can just show how hard this is on them, that parents would abandon these things in a heartbeat.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (06-25-2017), houseforjoy (06-22-2017), MariJo7 (06-23-2017), Quiteria (06-21-2017)