Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
CakeLady

Default Need some soup recipes

I'm thinking about making soup tonight, but I'm not a huge soup fan. We are out of a lot of fresh veggies (veggie co-op is in 2 days), but I have some canned things and chicken stock and meat in the freezer. I prefer the crockpot, but a stovetop soup would be okay too.

Any good ideas? It's 9am here so I still have plenty of time...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Monet

Default Re: Need some soup recipes

Sorry I do not have much time but here it goes...If you have canned beans (black beans?) you can make bean soup with meat with lots of spices, I usually top with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, green onion with some tortilla chips on the side, do you have tortillas? Just baked them in the oven. I just add whatever and don't really follow a recipe. What about tomatoes (make sure to remove the skin) or canned you could make tomato soup with chicken and add some noddles at the end to each cup of bowl. Just look through your spices and all veggies be creative and taste as you prepare. Basil, oregano, cumin, saffron, turmeric, garlic, pepper, salt, cayenne. Or if you have any canned or fresh pumpkin or butternut squash you could make a soup with chicken stock and whatever spices sound good. What about a stew?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
CakeLady

Thanks. I don't really want to do a stew today....

You know...I used to be really creative in the kitchen when it was just DH and I, but now that I have a picky 4yo I tend to follow recipes. I miss being creative. Maybe I will give it a shot again.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just heat the stock, throw in whatever veggies I have and some sort of soup-intended starch. Play with it a bit... I've used everything in chicken soup, from gnocchi, dumplings, egg noodles or barley to mushrooms, spinach, broccoli and cabbage.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Calliope
Rose Garden

Calliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond reputeCalliope has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have spinach and ground beef? I can give you a yummy recipie for Italian Wedding Soup.
and BabyG homebirth'd homeboy - 3
Awaiting reunion with Ruby Elizabeth born 17w 6d - 1/28/10

Agent Romance
Saving the world, one bedroom at a time!!

Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
CakeLady

nope, we finished off our spinach a few days ago, but i'll take the recipe anyway.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Mama Calidad

Tortilla soup: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...lla34912.shtml

Pasta e Fagioli: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...oli35471.shtml
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Raspberries

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
12 ounces beer (not dark)
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar, plus more for garnishing
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Heat oven to 350° F.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes; the mixture will clump. Still stirring constantly, add the broth slowly and cook until a thick, smooth paste forms, 3 minutes. Still stirring, slowly add the milk, then the beer. Cook until the foam subsides and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the Cheddar, salt, pepper, sugar, and hot sauce (if using) and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Tip: Use a beer that's light in flavor, like a lager or a pale ale. The darker the beer, the more bitter the soup will taste.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Raspberries

I don't remember where I got this....I feel like someone once posted it. I've made it many times and it's AWESOME!

Hearty Vegetable Soup
Makes 28 cups

1 lb. carrots
3 medium onions
4 large stalks celery
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 small head of cabbage
3/4 lb. green beans (couldn't find any and used a bag of frozen instead)
3 medium zucchini
2 cans (28 oz each) whole tomatoes in juice (I used diced)
1 can (48-49 oz) chicken broth (6 cups)
6 cups water
salt and pepper
2 bags (8-9 oz each) baby spinach leaves (I just used one big bag (13 oz) and it was fine)

Slice carrots into 1/2 inch rounds. Coarsely chop onions. Slice celery. Coat 12 quart stockpot (or 2 large pans) with nonstick cooking spray (or light coating of olive oil). Add carrots, onions, and celery to pot, over medium-high heat. Using garlic press, crush garlic into pot; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, thinly slice cabbage (you should have 6 cups). Trim green beans and cut each into thirds (not necessary if you use frozen). Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half, then slice crosswise into half-moons. Set vegetables aside separately.

When carrots are tender-crisp, add tomatoes with their liquid to saucepot, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add cabbage, green beans, chicken broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; stir in zucchini and spinach and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.

It recommends freezing two-cup portions for the variations. You can double these though for a family.

Minestrone Soup: To 2 c. Hearty vegetable soup, add 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned white kidney (cannellini) beans; heat to boiling. Stir in 1/2 cup. rotini noodles, cooked. Heat through. Stir in 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan or Romano cheese and 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil. Sprinkle with additional parmesan or romano to serve.

Mexican Chicken Soup: To 2 c. hearty vegetable soup, stir in 3 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch chunks, 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels, and 1/4 tsp. cumin; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 tbsp. crumbled baked tortilla chips. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedge.

Southwest Chili: In nonstick saucepan, cook 4 oz. (1/2 cup packed) ground turkey, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1/8 tsp. cumin 3 minutes or until turkey is browned and cooked through, stirring to break up turkey. Stir in 2 c. Hearty Veg soup, 1/2 cup drained and rinsed black beans, and 1/4 c. salsa; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese.

Thai Shrimp (Tofu) Soup: In bowl, cover 1 oz. rice noodles (linguine style) with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain. Heat 2 c. Hearty Vegetable soup to boiling. Stir in 4 oz tofu, chopped, 12 halved snow peas, a pinch ground red pepper, and soaked noodles; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until tofu is cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 1/4 c. coconut milk, 1/2 tsp grated fresh lime peel, and 2 tsp. fresh lime juice.

Goulash: In saucepan, cook 4 oz ground turkey, 1/2 tsp. paprika, a pinch caraway seeds, and a pinch salt 4 minutes or until turkey is browned and cooked through, stirring to break up turkey. Stir in 2 cup hearty veg soup; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in 1/2 c. egg noodles, cooked; heat through. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 2 tbsp. sour cream.

Red Beans and Rice Stew: In saucepan lightly oiled, cook 2 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, with 1 sliced green onion (white part only), until sausage browns. Add 2 c. Hearty Veg soup, 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned red beans, 1/2 cup cooked rice, and 1/8 tsp. Cajun seasoning; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onion top, chopped. Serve with hot sauce.

Greek Potato Stew: Cut 2 small red potatoes into 1/2 inch dice. Place in saucepan with water to cover; heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until tender. Pour off water. Add 2 c. Hearty Veg soup; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Gently stir in 1 tbsp fresh dill. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp crumbled Feta cheese to serve.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
CakeLady

Oh Jessie...those sound great! Thank you!