Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
PeachPapoose
Rose Bouquet

PeachPapoose has disabled reputation
Default Soup going sour after a day. What's wrong?

Sweet Man and I used to make these big pots of soup and they'd feed us for a few days. Then one pot went sour after a couple days and we didn't know why. We never really had a specific recipe, just dumping in lots of chopped veggies and sometimes beans, rice and/or barley. Never did bother putting any meat in as it was too expensive and the amount of other stuff thrown together was so delicious and filling it didn't beg for anything more.

So we tried again and the next batch went sour within the first day. We'd let it sit on the stovetop till it was cool enough to put in the fridge and during that wait it developed some froth and started to taste sour.

We'd tried to figure out what ingredient could have caused it. We thought maybe the peppers or the kidney beans. Not sure, though, as we'd made chili with kidney beans many a time in the past and I only had it go sour on me once (and I think that was coz I'd left it out too long before refrigerating). Wait a sec... as I'm typing I'm wondering if it could have been canned chili beans. Normally I would cook dried beans for hours but sometimes got lazy and used canned beans. Could that be it? But why would that make a difference?

Well, we kinda gave up on the big soups for awhile, discouraged. We thought it also might have been the big pot we were using, which was some light weight thing, not sure what it was made of, I'm thinking aluminum but I got it after I'd heard aluminum pots were bad for health and I figured they wouldn't sell them anymore and this one must've been something else. Not sure though.

So we finally broke down and bought a large Cuisinart stainless steel stock pot. Oh what a beauty it is! For about a month I couldn't bring myself to take it off the stove top, just had to let it sit there and gleam at us throughout the day like a piece of fine art.

We cooked a few soups in it, but when one went sour, we shied away again, sticking to using it for boring old spaghetti sauces now and then, but longing to throw together a lovingly delicious creation of multiple vegetables without fear of a sour ending.

Has anyone else ever had this happen - making a big soup and having it turn sour before it's even half gone?

I originally started making these large soups when I was coming off the Master Cleanse [the lemon juice/maple syrup/cayenne pepper cleanse]) and followed the suggestions in the book (available to read online at http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/spa/7244/master_cleanse.html - search for "soup" and you'll see what I mean.

That's the type of soups we like, with lots of ingredients thrown in. I love cabbage soup, too, like from the "cabbage soup diet".

Maybe we need to follow a specific recipe. If so, does anyone have any suggestions?
BC, Canada, eh!
PeachPapoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soup going sour after a day. What's wrong?

I've never experienced that. The fact that it started to taste sour before you even put it in the fridge and as it iss cooling suggests that you've maybe got some sort of spice that's already off and the flavor is just developing as it sits...

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

I would try to cool it quicker. In a sink of cold water or ice.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

yup you'll need to either put it in a shallow container or several smaller containers to get it cool fast. A whole pot of soup cooling is a breeding ground for bacteria.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's family makes big pots of food and never refridgerates them. What they do is they boil them at a hard boil for a few minutes (maybe 5) and then nobody touches it. Once someone touches it (puts a spoon in it) it will need to be boiled again within an hour or so.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

You should always refrigerate leftovers within two hours.

Also, break it down into small containers no more than a few inches in depth and make sure they are put in the fridge in a way that allows for air to circulate around each container. Don't stack them, at least not until they are 40 degrees or below. A very large container of soup put into a residential refrigerator is not going to cool quickly enough to prevent dangerous bacterial growth. The outside might get cool quickly, but the inside won't.

If you do these two things, and your refrigerator is cold enough, I'm guessing it should fix the problem.

I'm a bit of a food safety freak.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if your fridge is what's changed, if it isn't set as low or cooling as well as it used to.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping a semi-old thread, but... I wanted to add...

I gave my family food poisoning b/c of soup that had gone bad. :/ I couldn't figure out what would've caused it. But now that I've read this thread, I can totally see that it was b/c I kept it in the crock pot for cooking, then also in the fridge... and it probably cooled extremely slowly.

Anyways... good info! And PeachPappoose, you're not alone.
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to get this info out there. We have to be careful about things like this.

My pages:
Old 02-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

I would be more inclined to think it had something to do with a spice (the sour flavor) than food gone bad..so quickly, anyways. Mainly b/c the OP didn't have any meat/animal products in the soup.

Can you get sick from an all vegetarian dish cooled slowly? I guess I thought that was mainly limited to dishes that contained animal or animal products?
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Hermana Linda
Administrator

I've seen beans go bad. But certainly, animal products are way riskier.

My pages: