Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default I just made the best navy bean soup I ever had.

I have been eyeing a package of navy beans on my shelf and the kielbasa in my fridge for days. I finally made my move. I put the pound of navy beans, about a quarter pound of barley, a large green onion (from my garden. It's way past it's prime, about as large as a leek) 5 cloves of garlic and one low fat kielbasa into the pot to boil. I also added some chicken bouillion. I later added some potatoes, grated zucchini and a pound of spinach. I cooked it for a few hours I guess.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Shining Light

Default Re: I just made the best navy bean soup I ever had.

Mmmm. Thanks for posting!! Sounds really good! I love beans and kielbasa. I don't cook with dried beans much and I don't think I've ever cooked with barley. Please tell me... did you have to soak them ahead of time? Also, I assume that you waited until almost the end to add the spinach and zucchini. any idea how long those were in the pot? and how long the potatoes were in there? Were the potatoes cut up in chunks?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Soaking of dried beans is recommended by the English speaking people. I learnt to cook them from Spanish speaking people so I never soak them. I don't soak the barley either.

Yes, spinach and zucchini were added near the end. I added them when the rest seemed done. I do it by instinct so I did not watch the clock. Timing depends on the flame. I had it pretty low. If you cook at high flame, you have to watch it closely an stir if often. I keep an eye on it and determine by how it looks. I guess add the potatoes after 1 hour and give it another 1/2 hour at least before adding the other veggies. Then simmer until everything is done.

Oh, right. The potatoes were pealed and chopped. My plan was for them to discintegrate so they were pretty small.

My pages:
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Shining Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda
Soaking of dried beans is recommended by the English speaking people. I learnt to cook them from Spanish speaking people so I never soak them. I don't soak the barley either.
Interesting.

Thanks for the clarificiations. I think I may be trying to make this soup sometime soon.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Ooooh Let me know how it turns out.

I also made a mean split pea lentil soup the other day.

My pages:
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Shining Light

I'm not sure what to do now. I went to the store yesterday (one of the stores that is known to carry a wider variety of stuff and more non-Asian products; I'm in Asia) but I could not find navy beans OR kielbasa. I saw some polish sausage but it didn't look the same as the kielbasa that I would buy back in the US, plus, it had MSG so I decided to skip it. I picked out another kind of sausage but it looks more like a hot dog, really. Not at all like the yummy kielbasa I know and love.
The navy beans, I figure, are less of an issue because, I'm hoping maybe another type of bean might work. I ended up buying cannellini beans instead. I have no idea if these are similar to navy beans at all but I hope so. None of the other choices looked right. I know sometimes beans may have more than 1 name. Do you know if navy beans have another name? I might try searching online to see if I can find an answer.
I still plan on making the soup but now I'm not as excited, mostly because of the kielbasa issue. I miss my grocery store.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Shining Light

I'm not sure what to do now. I went to the store yesterday (one of the stores that is known to carry a wider variety of stuff and more non-Asian products; I'm in Asia) but I could not find navy beans OR kielbasa. I saw some polish sausage but it didn't look the same as the kielbasa that I would buy back in the US, plus, it had MSG so I decided to skip it. I picked out another kind of sausage but it looks more like a hot dog, really. Not at all like the yummy kielbasa I know and love.
The navy beans, I figure, are less of an issue because, I'm hoping maybe another type of bean might work. I ended up buying cannellini beans instead. I have no idea if these are similar to navy beans at all but I hope so. None of the other choices looked right. I know sometimes beans may have more than 1 name. Do you know if navy beans have another name? I might try searching online to see if I can find an answer.
I still plan on making the soup but now I'm not as excited, mostly because of the kielbasa issue. I miss my grocery store.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Any beans will work, especially if they're white beans. If I couldn't get kielbasa, I would use ham, bacon or hotdogs.

My pages:
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Any beans will work, especially if they're white beans. If I couldn't get kielbasa, I would use ham, bacon or hotdogs.

My pages:
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't soak beans, do you just cook them longer?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Right. I never soak my beans.

My pages:
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I have half a bag of 15 bean soup mix, a can of diced tomatoes, a bag of kidney beans, barley, garlic, and brown rice. I could put them in the crock pot, but it's 10:30am , is it too late? Or could I start them at 3pm and boil the beans for an hour then add the other ingredients?

I"m thinking the 15 beans, garlic , tomatoes and either barley or rice. Which sounds better?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Hermana Linda
Administrator

I usually give beans 3-4 hours, but after the boil, I simmer. I would start around noon. It's ok if it's ready early. It takes a long time to cool completely and you can boil it again before serving.

My pages:
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

My bean soup turned out good. It was half bag 15 bean mix, big handful of kidney beans, two cloves garlic, salt, can diced tomatoes and two handfuls barley. I thought it was yummy and my kids picked at it.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Kids don't always enjoy the same food we do.

My pages: