Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default hit me with your best white chicken chili recipe!

I finally tried and loved white chicken chili at a restaurant on Friday - now I'm itching to find a good recipe and make some. What have you got?
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hit me with your best white chicken chili recipe!

This one came right off a can of Bush's beans. We like it!

I started to type it out and then realized I could probably find it online...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/BUSHS-W...li/Detail.aspx

Allrecipes has other white chicken chili recipes too.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

white bean chili (compliments of Kym- Purple Butterfly's mom)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 vegetarian “bouillon” cubes (low or no sodium added)
2 cups (or 1 can) cooked black-eyed peas
4 cups (or 2 cans) cooked great northern beans
2 cups (or 1 can) cooked navy beans
1 can hominy (or white kidney beans for a corn free recipe)
2 1/2 cups of water
juice of one lime
handful of fresh chopped cilantro
few dribbles of hot sauce (won’t taste, but adds flavor)

In a large pot, gently heat olive oil. Add onion and sauté for just a few minutes over medium heat. If using canned beans, drain and rinse. Add beans, water, bouillon cube, lime juice, hot sauce and cilantro. Stir well. Cook over medium heat until chili reaches a nice constancy; thick and not soupy. (about 30 minutes) Stir occasionally.

Note: If using canned beans, the beans do not have to be drained. However, this will greatly increase the sodium content of the recipe. Adjust water amounts if not draining beans.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

The above recipe does not have chicken, but it can be added. Also, I make it without any corn.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

oh, I should note it has to be light on the beans...which eliminates your recipe, bananacake I know beans are an important part of chili, but I tolerate them...they are NOT my favorite
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I was coming to post my recipe but it's the same as singingmom's...it's SOOOO FABULOUS with some crusty bread oh yum!!!
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Mine is really easy. You *strain* a jar of salsa, add 3 cans of Northern Beans (do NOT drain), a bag of shredded cheese (I use the Mexican Blend or Colby Jack, or Monterey Jack), a couple cups of shredded chicken & heat till warm.
I serve it with little round tortilla chips, rice, & sour cream.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
schmamy
Rose Garden

The one I had at the restaurant was *thick* and white--no tomato in it at all, at least not that I could tell. It was garnished with a little salsa, iirc. That's what I liked about it, that it was different. Practically every other soup I make has a lot of tomato/tomato base, including both my Mexican soups (taco soup and chicken tortilla soup).

What could have made it so thick? It couldn't have been just a broth base...pureed white beans maybe?
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

the flour makes a roux which is a thickener...so you make your flour/butter paste and then adding the stock to it makes it a thick sauce...then smashing a portion of the beans makes it VERY thick and yummy. The salsa in that recipe is just as a topper
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
schmamy
Rose Garden

so those of you who make the Bush's recipe, do you make it exactly as is, or modify? all of the comments are like, "I add this, double this, don't use this, etc" - so it's barely the same recipe - and of course they all make *different* modifications

how much of the beans do you smash?

AFA the roux...I have a potato soup recipe that works that way, I should have known - but there's no butter to make a flour-butter paste in this recipe, just olive oil that you saute the onion in.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

ooo.... i had an awesome recipe... i'll have to find it. i *think* it's a crockpot recipe, though...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Bush's recipe is good as is... you could leave out one can of beans and bulk up the chicken a bit. I usually double or triple it. If you want it thicker, you could add a bit more flour at the beginning. Mashing some of the beans is a great idea to get it thicker. You could even use a stick blender on part of it, maybe before adding the chicken, especially if you don't like the texture of beans.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
schmamy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
ooo.... i had an awesome recipe... i'll have to find it. i *think* it's a crockpot recipe, though...
so much the better! I my crockpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom
I think the Bush's recipe is good as is... you could leave out one can of beans and bulk up the chicken a bit. I usually double or triple it. If you want it thicker, you could add a bit more flour at the beginning. Mashing some of the beans is a great idea to get it thicker. You could even use a stick blender on part of it, maybe before adding the chicken, especially if you don't like the texture of beans.
if only I had an immersion blender!
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
schmamy
Rose Garden

any word on that crockpot recipe?

I need to make a grocery list and go shopping today!
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

i can't find it! it was in with my old menu mailer stuff, and it's no where to be found. sorry! i'll post it if i do find it eventually...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote