Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #31
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Letter to New, Co-sleeping Parents

Thank you, ladies, for the kind comments and wonderful stories/feedback. I wrote that letter almost five years ago and now have a new little dovie in my bed, our 3 yo dd.

Newleaf, forgive me if you've already posted for help, but if not, please do so (outside this thread please - but within the nighttime parenting forum) and we can offer whatever experience or encouragement possible. Generally, if sleep is miserable, it's going to be miserable regardless of location, and worse if a child is feeling isolated.

And yes, waterbeds are not something I would ever co-sleep on, definitely not safe for an infant. Also, pregnant bellies do indeed require rolling but I guarantee you it's WAY worse on a waterbed! Ask your hubby for an early childbearing gift and pick out a nice firm new mattress! Also, if your hubby is so worried about SIDS, he should read the studies showing it is LESS common in co-sleeping infants than infants sleeping alone in cribs.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer

Last edited by PurpleButterfly; 08-29-2009 at 12:13 AM.
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #32
Sarahb

THis is a wonderful letter. I am so glad I read this. I am new to the formal concept of AP, but have been practicing by accident for a while and the co-sleeping thing was the only thing I had reservations about, UNTIL...dadadada... I read this! Yeah! this is awesome! This really put things in perspective. I will only have DD for a short time, and that time is precious! Thank you thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (09-02-2009)
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #33
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

THANK YOU!!!!

ANd btw, the same exact thing happened to me with my ds. He had vomited in the middle of the night and I awoke to look at him laying on his back choking. There is no way that would have happened were he in another room.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (09-02-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #34
momofsuper6
Deactivated

Growing and learning in The Lord

momofsuper6 is on a distinguished road

It is very encouraging to new mommies, to have this kind of support! I was alone when we started more than 17 years ago. All 6 of our children co-slept with us and 2 of them were on apnea machines and we were woken multiple times to revive them! Funny still... We all live in a house under 800 sq feet and all still share a room but most of the children sleep in beds with siblings now. Not only does it foster a bond between parents and child, but between siblings as well!
momofsuper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momofsuper6 For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (10-16-2009)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #35
crmmom
Rosebud

Learning from my Heavenly Father what it means to be a parent.

crmmom is on a distinguished road

I also said that I would never let my kids sleep in my bed, but that was before I had my sweet boy. Now I can't image trying to sleep while he is at the other end of the house. I love being able to open my eyes in the middle of the night and see him laying there and know that he is alright.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Prayer...lots of prayer! My husband sometimes questions my AP style of parenting. He is old school and hasn't had alot of experience with kids. I am finding that through prayer and watching my example, he is coming around on alot of issues.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureadoptivemom View Post
I really like that letter. I've been contemplating co-sleeping if its what my adopted children will need it. I just asked my husband what he thought and he's not for it. He feels like it makes the children scared over time. Like scared of the dark or scared of monsters because they never had to learn to be "on there own". Raising children from Foster Care may need exactly that security that they aren't alone. Any suggestions on how to speak to my husband about this?
I forgot to post the quote first. My reply is actually above this. Sorry
crmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crmmom For This Useful Post:
Futureadoptivemom (03-11-2010), PurpleButterfly (03-11-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #36
Julie

Thanks for your insight! I've just started co-sleeping again with my 1-week old son and I love it! It's good to read about the benefits of co-sleeping with older kids too!
PurpleButterfly (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #37
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Thanks for your insight! I've just started co-sleeping again with my 1-week old son and I love it! It's good to read about the benefits of co-sleeping with older kids too!
Oh! It seems like just yesterday my lo was one week old...time really does fly! Snuggle that sweet boy up and enjoy him, mama! And congratulations!

Last edited by PurpleButterfly; 06-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #38
Gigi's Mommy

Thank you for this! Was starting to question having my 4 month old daughter co-sleeping with us still but this helped remind me why we started doing it in the first place!
PurpleButterfly (06-11-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #39
Melodicwanderer

Thank you for this!

I am getting so excited about co-sleeping with our little one when he gets here.
PurpleButterfly (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #40
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicwanderer View Post
Thank you for this!

I am getting so excited about co-sleeping with our little one when he gets here.
Looks like it will be here before you know it! What an exciting time for sure!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #41
alwaysHis324
Climbing Rose

alwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond reputealwaysHis324 has a reputation beyond repute

This is awesome. I was just talking about co-sleeping and the benefits with my df. He was saying how he'd never really heard of it before he met me. (a lot of my younger siblings coslept with my parents. My 10yo brother still does at times)

Anyway, I came browsing this forum today because he was asking me what the benefits of co-sleeping would be. I felt I needed more responses then "so I don't have to get out of bed to feed the baby when they wake up at night."

This sticky was the perfect resource.

Married to Clay my gentle giant
ISFJ

Missing the little ones I never got to hold

alwaysHis324 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysHis324 For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (05-17-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #42
StarlitMama

Quote:
Nobody is going to slip in and abduct our child while we sleep unawares in the room nearby
I have a fear about this very thing (that little boy in Alberta was abducted and returned during the first two weeks of Molly's life, this is probably why) and I have to say, co-sleeping helps me not to focus on it!
Beautiful letter, thank you!
PurpleButterfly (04-01-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #43
2_sweet_boys

What a wonderful blessing. Thank you so much for sharing. I am a co sleeping mom of now two boys. A toddler (2 and a half) and a 4 month old baby. Add my hubby and it is a very full queen bed. I am such a huge advocate of co sleeping. It has been such an amazing experience for my family. The first 2 months I didnt cosleep with my first cuz he was a 4lb preemie and I didnt feel comfortable. As soon as 2 months rolled around and I did it out of desperation he slept through the night, at 2 months!!! And has ever since. Bedtime is a very special time. Days are hectic and caotic for all of us but bedtime becomes a special time to reconnect with momma. A time where my wild toddler sits down for the first time all day and just cant get enough cuddles and kisses. cosleeping brings comfort to mom right along with baby, knowing your babies are safe right there beside you. And what better then to go to sleep to new baby smell and soft skin? Its magical. the last thing that I would tell new moms (and dads) about co sleeping is dont worry about your love life! Mine hasnt slowed a bit, and having to be more creative if you will has even made it hotter. When your kids and safe and secure and your well rested since they sleep through the night theres plenty of energy for fun with your hubby. I know its an important thing to my hubby to cuddle with his babies after working all day. Its been so wonderful for our family. Id encourage everyone to just try it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #45
NurseKristie
Rosebud

Above all, love one another.

NurseKristie will become famous soon enoughNurseKristie will become famous soon enough

Been bed sharing the whole way. I think I would have gone crazy by now if we didn't sleep together. I have a baby that needs a lot of touching and nighttime is a time for him to recharge. Hospitals really need to get on board with this! I hated putting him down to avoid a scolding. I finally just ignored them!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
NurseKristie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NurseKristie For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (10-19-2014), shekinah (01-02-2014)