Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's on your homeschool supplies back to school list?

We get pensels and paper. I also buy note cards because that works best for us for lists. I also use this time if year to buy things for stockings at Christmas, little pens and books and things that are fun but not necessarily useful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
Proverbs31
Rose Garden

Proverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond reputeProverbs31 has a reputation beyond repute

I always buy the pronged pocket folders in a variety of colors this time of year, because at other times of year they're nearly unfindable or cost $2-3 each.

Scotch tape replacement rolls often have their best price now too...and we go through a LOT of tape, lol.

I also get 1-2 boxes of Bic Xtra Strong Mechanical pencils; they're the only ones with leads that don't constantly snap off.
Proverbs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Magic pencils. Like the magic beans in Jack and the Beanstalk, but pencils.

(No, they don't really exist. )

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I also use this time if year to buy things for stockings at Christmas, little pens and books and things that are fun but not necessarily useful.
Great idea!

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

I usually stock up on filler paper and some spiral notebooks. Also, co-op classes often require 3-prong folders or 3-ring binders so I buy some of those. And markers, crayons, and glue sticks because they're cheaper now than any other time.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #19
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

I skimmed the other posts, so I don't think this one got mentioned. But the one thing I bought YEARS ago that I thank myself for buying every year is a laminator!

I bought a scotch laminator and a pack of laminator pouches at target my very first year of homeschooling my oldest for preschool, and 6-ish years later I still use it several times a year and it was SOOO worth it..
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
gerberadaisy (08-13-2018), knitlove (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great thread - it's reminding me of several things I usually look for (I also do the dollar store) and several things that would make my life much much easier I still have school supplies I didn't use last year.

I suddenly thought of something I stock ONLY this time of year - index cards and sticky notes (it was on my list but usually I get them dirt cheap during school supply time). I use them a ton.

AND hard plastic pencil cases. In addition to organizing my school supplies I use them in my bathroom for little things

I also peruse the school supply area whenever I am at walmart/target or the dollar store between end of july and mid october (after mid september is my favorite time cuz of clearance - i usually try to hold off past labor day to purchase anything). I am going today to walmart and the dollar store. I'm having to take a deep breath because this post has me all excited

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurlor View Post
I've always bought a nice sketchbook for each of my kids and I try to do all of our art projects in them (or I glue them in later), so now I have an one for each kid for each grade to save and they're fun to look back at (and easy to store!). The ones I've always liked are eeBoo brand.
This is a beautiful Idea - maybe I will start one for my dd2. I wish I had heard of this before

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 08-03-2018 at 07:20 AM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (08-03-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #21
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have a favorite globe? Our wall map got gross and I’m wanting a globe this year .

I have grandiose ideas like an inflatable one for better storage but worry my goofy kids would destroy it

I’m also considering scrunch maps

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 08-13-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #22
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Anyone have a favorite globe? Our wall map got gross and I’m wanting a globe this year .

I have grandiose ideas like an inflatable one for better storage but worry my goofy kids would destroy it

I’m also considering scrunch maps
I love my markable map from Sonlight.

You could get a hug a planet. Those can’t be destroyed easily. My kids destroyed our regular globe.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #23
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I love my markable map from Sonlight.

You could get a hug a planet. Those can’t be destroyed easily. My kids destroyed our regular globe.
We had a regular globe a long time. I threw it away cuz it cracked (I dropped it ). I just figured AJ inflatable would be tossed around and break eventually. Then I’d just need to keep replacing it.

I looked at Hug a planet— those look cool. I’m going to ask the kids what they prefer

Old 08-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #24
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Hugg-a-Planet. It lives in the Ikea egg chair so it's around whenever we need it. I had to repair the seam once and the stuffing has gotten mashed and matted so that it's no longer round. (It gets sat on and thrown around a LOT. The poor thing takes more than its fair share of abuse with four kids.) I think we've had it 6 or 7 years. It's reasonably accurate. The map is printed in curved diamond panels then cut out and sewn together so our globe has a seam or two that aren't perfectly lined up which used to bug me, but not the kids. I got over it. We have a nice globe we picked up at Costco a couple of years ago but it lives in a closet and the Hugg-a-Planet gets much more use.

We've got the moon, too. I love that the craters are labeled.

The Scrunch maps are awesome - easy to store, super portable, and the plastic-y fabric they're printed on is wonderfully durable. I used to take them to a class I taught and have had kids fight over them with never a rip.

We have a huge Rand-McNally laminated wall map that is GREAT on detail, but we never use it because I bought it before measuring the wall space.

A markable map sounds dreamy . . . . . .
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote