Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #1
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do my clothes smell?

There is something seriously wrong in our laundry system. What would cause our clothes to smell like something died or threw up on our clothes? It's not a BO smell.

We use Charlie Soap. The kids' clothes don't seem to smell. DH & mine do. It's really horrendous. Even my brand new shirts smell after one wash.

We had a similar issue at our last home, and it was because of a clogged dryer tube/exhaust tube. We don't think that's the case here.

Ideas? It's really disturbing.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do my clothes smell?

My hubby thought his work shirts had an odor due to homemade (ineffective??) laundry soap. We switched soap.....they still develop a smell. I thought maybe i was overstuffing the machine....but only certain items have a smell.....so i have decided it is some of the clothes made of synthetic fabric (i.e. Not 100% cotton)

Fwiw, every so often i soak these items in borax water...and also think line-drying in the sun helps!

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2TMama For This Useful Post:
mamacat (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We have had same issue with synthetics.If you use non natural stuff the heavy perfumes mask it but if you use things like Charlies like you do they dont have the masking perfumes.Using vinegar in rinse water can help and then putting them on a hanger to dry and not in drier seems to help

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #4
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

When our washer broke once a friend offered to do some loads for me and all the clothes came back smelling too. In that case she said something in her dryer seemed to not be working properly, they came back to me damp but it was definitely not a damp smell at all.

Maybe it could still be a dryer issue for you?
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same issue. This is why http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/c...charlies-soap/

Add in hard water http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/h...cloth-diapers/

They aren't super crunchy but the science behind why some of the natural detergents don't work makes sense. I have been using seventh generation ultra power plus with borax and for the first time in years our laundry (even the synthetic fibers) smells GOOD.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Obviously those are talking about diapers. But it holds true for laundry as well. My laundry stunk until I started using a water softener (borax) in the loads and using a detergent with enzymes...years of trying this, trying that, thinking I was just bad at laundry or my machines were old and terrible, or new and terrible (and I do have a snow flake machine, cabrio whirlpool, but it does the job when I use the right combination of stuff).
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 06-17-2016 at 09:07 AM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-17-2016), ECingMama (08-22-2017), HuggaBuggaMommy (06-17-2016), Lady Grey (06-17-2016), Maedchen (06-17-2016), MaybeGracie (06-17-2016), Quiteria (06-21-2016), RiverRock (06-21-2016), schmamy (08-25-2017)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
8We had the same issue. This is why http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/c...charlies-soap/

Add in hard water http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/h...cloth-diapers/

They aren't super crunchy but the science behind why some of the natural detergents don't work makes sense. I have been using seventh generation ultra power plus with borax and for the first time in years our laundry (even the synthetic fibers) smells GOOD.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Obviously those are talking about diapers. But it holds true for laundry as well. My laundry stunk until I started using a water softener (borax) in the loads and using a detergent with enzymes...years of trying this, trying that, thinking I was just bad at laundry or my machines were old and terrible, or new and terrible (and I do have a snow flake machine, cabrio whirlpool, but it does the job when I use the right combination of stuff).

Yes. Same here. I found a natural detergent with enzymes that works amazing (I can't recall the name because I don't buy it all the time; it's expensive and only one store about 20 minutes from me carries it, but I bought it on a whim once and it was so good. I was like, "why are my clothes so clean???") And we also need the borax because of our hard water.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Since the kids' clothes don't smell, how does your closet smell? I had a mold issue in my coat closet last year, and it wasn't until I pulled everything out and found mold growing on the back of a little wooden trunk that i was able to get rid of that awful smell on all of our coats.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (06-21-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

What Singingmom said. Our clothes started to stink a few months before somebody finally found our drainpipe (long story) and the large, healthy cottonwood that was rooted in it. Yes, household blackwater was backing up into the washer. But if your clothes smell bad and the kids' clothes don't, I would check your closet for black mold. And dead mice.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

We have mold. And we're washing cloth diapers. But the boys' room has mold too.

The mold is not visible and is only a teeny bit above the normal range.

Next question: what type of enzyme detergent and where do you buy it?

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 06-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I use ecos with enzymes on a regular basis and era for particularly nasty loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

I didn't see enzyme soap at my regular grocery. Would I need to go to Whole Foods or something similar?

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

I will add my clothes in the closet don't smell. The ones that smell are in dressers. Perhaps it's because I don't wear the closet clothes very much.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

My target carries Seventh Generation. ultra Power Plus it has enzymes it 's safe for cloth diapers.

Here is the list of detergents, if they contain enZymes and if they are recommended for cloth diapers (won't leave a coating and cause absorbancy issues). http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/h...tergent-index/

Also you could use a laundry booster like bac-out with a more natural detergent...
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-17-2016), ECingMama (08-22-2017)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
My target carries Seventh Generation. ultra Power Plus it has enzymes it 's safe for cloth diapers.

Here is the list of detergents, if they contain enZymes and if they are recommended for cloth diapers (won't leave a coating and cause absorbancy issues). http://www.fluffloveuniversity.com/h...tergent-index/

Also you could use a laundry booster like bac-out with a more natural detergent...

That website is a little overwhelming and doesn't navigate well in my browser. Unless I can find one in the "A's"

I bought some Odor Blaster Oxy Clean. I could not find Bac-out or 7th Gen with enzymes. And I have a tub and a half of Charlie Soap left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Front loader? We had mildew issues when I had a front loader.

My clothes that I don't wear frequently (ie the ones on the bottom half) in just my dresser drawers smell a bit funny, it's whatever wood it is I guess. Because the rest of the family's drawers don't do that.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing I ever did for our clothes was to start using Tide.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mellifera For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (08-21-2017), ReedleBeetle (06-20-2016)