Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Path of Totality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
We got some but now people are selling the cheap $2 cardboard ones for $20 and people are buying!
I checked Craigslist, and the one ad I found was selling 2 pairs for $50 I am NOT paying that!!! One optical shop, with the name "budget" in their store name, was selling them for $20/pair. They sold out. Highway robbery! There are a few local places giving some away as a first come, first serve basis tomorrow morning, but it's probably going to be crazy. I found one giveaway that hasn't been hardly advertised, so maybe that one might work out. But for the others, I heard people are planning on camping out to get them
Aerynne (08-20-2017), CelticJourney (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hopeful FB will be awesome tomorrow! People will record the path of totality across the US!
We are in TX and my oldest is disappointed we aren't near totality.
There is going to be another one in 2024 and maybe we'll make the family trip then.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciousmomma View Post
I checked Craigslist, and the one ad I found was selling 2 pairs for $50 I am NOT paying that!!! One optical shop, with the name "budget" in their store name, was selling them for $20/pair. They sold out. Highway robbery! There are a few local places giving some away as a first come, first serve basis tomorrow morning, but it's probably going to be crazy. I found one giveaway that hasn't been hardly advertised, so maybe that one might work out. But for the others, I heard people are planning on camping out to get them
The boxes are easy to make!
box
tin foil
pin
tape
white index card

kids do not look at the sun either!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), graciousmomma (08-20-2017), HomeWithMyBabies (08-21-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen them for sale for $25-50 EACH.

We're very close, so we're going to drive a little ways to SC to the path of totality. Gonna hang out with a friend. I hope traffic isn't too terrible! I should familiarize myself with backroads.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Soliloquy (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

we are going to do a craft and then watch it live on the internet. I honestly don't want to chance anyone looking if the glasses fall off or they just can't get them on correctly. We are near a science observatory and they are giving away glasses, but I think we will just stay home and watch online...maybe do something fun and exciting and keep the little kids away from the windows.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

I think we will watch this too. And venture outside for 2 minutes.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Quiteria (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #22
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I think im the only person who doesn't care. I'm not planning to watch it.
This is how I feel. But I "should" be interested as it would be a great homeschool lesson for my 8 and 6 yo children. We've talked about it since it's everywhere, but I'm more concerned about keeping my toddler and preschooler from looking at the sun should we go outside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (08-21-2017), CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Mother of Sons (08-21-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We will have totality for 2:34 so we are really lucky. We live in the country . In town all the hotels are booked which is crazy since there are over 30,000 rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Llee (08-20-2017), OnAMission (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

We are at 90% here, 3 hours from the band.

The kids will go out and see it at school.

I will be driving during it.

Dh will be at work.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #25
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
We will have totality for 2:34 so we are really lucky. We live in the country . In town all the hotels are booked which is crazy since there are over 30,000 rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard the other day that basic rooms near us were going for $400-500 per night

We have friends coming up from Texas who will watch with us. We are near a trail where some astronomers from the University will be watching
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), sweetpeasmommy (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We're at 87%. It would be awesome to be able to travel to the path but we didn't plan ahead and everything's booked. So we're going to enjoy our 87%.

I was in Europe for the 1999 eclipse. We weren't in the path but it was still really neat.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Quiteria (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #27
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAMission View Post
I heard the other day that basic rooms near us were going for $400-500 per night

We have friends coming up from Texas who will watch with us. We are near a trail where some astronomers from the University will be watching
I saw some terrible rooms in nasty-looking hotels going for $1200.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-20-2017), Soliloquy (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #28
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

I think where we are people are more spread out. It seems like the whole east coast is headed to South Carolina

Unfortunately it is going to be partly cloudy tomorrow. We are hoping it is clear enough during the eclipse!
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the 90ish% strip. Our library system had awesome programs with NASA educators all summer. We got our glasses from them. We may decide to go to the library's viewing party as we have a ton of trees around us. It all depends on the marine layer burning off early enough.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #30
OnlyBelieve
Rose Garden

OnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyBelieve has a reputation beyond repute

We live just a few miles outside "the band". My children and I will pop outside every now and then to see how the eclipse progress. The good thing about eclipse glasses is that we will be able to see the eclipse through the clouds we are expecting.
Mother to ds, JJ (July 2001), dd, AJ (July 2004), dd, F (March 2014) and three (m/c) I hope to hold in Heaven (1997 - 10 weeks, 1998 - 13 weeks, 2002 - 11 weeks)
OnlyBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlyBelieve For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (08-21-2017), SewingGreenMama (08-21-2017)