Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default gluten free baking talk

I love baking and I am now gluten free.... prepared GF bread type foods and even the mixes are soooo $$$ tell me how to make my own!!

I want to make:
Sandwich bread
bagels
Doughy pizza crust
crusty rolls
tortillas that actually taste decent and are pliable like flour tortillas
Biscuits for biscuits and gravy

I can make:
Pancakes
muffins
choco-chip cookies
cakes or brownies form mixes

Bonus points for being ssuuuuuuuuuuuper detailed with ingredients and assuming I know nothing about how to get things or what they are or how to use and measure them.

More bonus points for things that are also dairy, egg, soy and corn free.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gluten free baking talk

I have used Tapioca starch for gravy............It taste pretty good, slightly sweet,but to me it is slick. I usually did 3 Tbs of it with the salt and herbs wanted added to the pan drippings after I dissolved it in 2 cups of water, but with up to an extra 2 cups of water just in case it needs thinning.

You can also purchase GF Bisquick (our WalMart sells it for $4.29 for 2 cups) I use 3 heaping TBS of the mix with salt and herbs and about 3 cups of water needed.

That ones is my favorite for gravy.

As to the baking of the breads, the sandwich loves I have are corn free, (soyfree) can be dairy free, but they all use eggs. So before I were to spend my time typing them up, I would have to know if you could use them.

You are never going to achieve the texture of White Wonder bread. You can make bread, but it will be heavier, it will dry out faster because of the no preservatives.

My favorite baking mix for a basic cookie, cake or beginning breads is:

3 cups rice flour
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca

then you need to add 1/2-1 tsp of guar gum or xanthan gum (xanthan can be a corn reactive, so you might want to use guar) per 1 cup of the flour mix.

If you want to do a faux cornbread, I found that we like using Sorghum flour. It tastes similar to corn.

I use, vitacost.com , thrivemarket.com (I have a referral link since it is a paid yearly site) I have also bought from bulkfoods.com
There are othersites, but I usually shop the sales on these sites or on amazon.

Hain baking powder is the only corn free that I have found. The last time I got it, it was on vitacost., but it was also on amazon. I paid around $5 per can. My local health food ordered it for me, but it was a little higher and it took them longer to get it since they had discontinued carrying it.

My experience with making my own bread loaves is that I now mix up some healthier flours added to that basic mix,but it pretty much is on what you like the taste of bread to be. (sorghum, millet, teff, amaranth, quino added whatever we are liking that day.)

You will need a very strong mixer if you are making the bread from scratch because you have to beat the batter for about 5 min to make up for the gluten that is missing. You also will have a more liquid batter than regular bread. You don't really knead it because of it being more liquid.

I found that baking bread should not take place on a rainy day because it affects the loaf and causes it to fall in the last of the baking. It rises well, but the humidity plays with it.

I just recently bought a bread maker off of Amazon that had a gluten free setting and it was only $50............... the ones I had looked at earlier were a couple hundred dollars and it does bake a loaf very nicely. I have only used it a few times since I was out of town, but it seems to be worth the $50.

Let me know if you can use egg and I will type up the basic recipes.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Ok these are where I get 90% of my recipe.

i use Silvana's flour mixture to make gravy and sauses. I use it in my quick bread recipes.

That is where the biscuit recipe came from ( I put in less surgar)

I have found her recipes to be very good, helpful to understand what is going on am very frogiveing.

This is where my load bread comes from.

She even has a soft pretzels recipe that is amazing

Her recipes work well enough that I frequently doing things like subing the egg.

The other book I use is the bread book it makes amazing hard rustic bread!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.

Last edited by knitlove; 06-06-2017 at 04:48 AM.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out several GF baking books from the library, my small town one has lots, and see which one resonates with you. Buy it! Or find the blog of the authors and glean as much as possible off of it. I'm currently liking the book Nourishing Meals from the Whole Life Nutrition couple/blog.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*

Last edited by greengirl19; 06-06-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Im (unfortunately) using eggs right now. I dont buy anything with eggs in it but I buy fresh, free-range, humane eggs. Its not ideal to m, philosophically, but my recent allergy issues mean getting full nutrition on a fully vegan diet is very hard. So Im using them as a crutch ATM until I learn more things I can eat....So all that to say, yes, bring on the egg recipes, but I will probably try to adapt them to being egg-free once I've made the recipe a time or two.

Knitlove, I will have to check the libraries for those books!!
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite way to make gravy is to use sweet white rice flour (different than white rice flour). It makes the most glossy, delicious gravy ever. I usually do 3 TBSP butter, 3 TBSP sweet white rice flour to make a roux and then two cups of broth and season with salt and pepper.

I really like seasoned millet flour to bread and pan fry. I will usually dip chicken in buttermilk and then the millet or fish in lemon juice and then the millet since I'm also egg free. It doesn't oven bake well at all though. It turns pretty gummy so pan sauteing or shallow frying seems to the way to go with millet flour.

I have not perfected biscuits or bread or cornbread or pizza dough or anything else gluten free, so I'm looking forward to all of the recipes.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

We've been GF almost 10 years. I don't like many (really any ) of the cookbooks because they base their recipes on mostly white flours and starches and I prefer mostly whole grains.

Crystal would always post her bread recipe, and she used egg replacer I also have a ton of vegan recipes.

I buy all flours from Vitacost. I can give you a referral link for $10 off $40. They also regularly have sales: 20% off all food items.

BBL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I think that at first when you are detoxing that you will get the most satisfaction (taste) with the basic recipe I mentioned above.

Once you are off of the regular gluten SAD foods, your taste buds will change and you will like the heartier full grain flours better.

I love Buckwheat flour pancakes. They are a stick to your ribs type pancake. At first, I found them to be too flavorful to my liking, I mixed it 1 cup of Buckwheat flour, 1 cup of GF Bisquick flour, eggs and milk with a little melted butter or olive oil. (I have made them with Silk Soy or Coconut milk and regular Dairy..........they did well. When I was making them 1/2 and1/2 with the Bisquick, I added about 1/2 tsp of baking powder.)

For baking when doing egg free or reduced eggs, I found that if the recipe called for 3 eggs, I could sub 1 egg with the egg substitute powder or with 1 flax sub. It worked well without too much difference. If I subbed more than one, it became much more dense and not to our liking, but then again, we do not have to be egg free.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Thick Crust Pizza (eat with a fork, not crispy at all)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk (dairy free or dairy)
3 tsps baking powder
1-2 Tbs sugar (your choice to reduce)

Mix all ingredients and spread on prepared pan. Top with sauce and topping. Bake at 350 F for about 20 -30 minutes depending on your oven.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Crystal's Bread Recipe

1.5 C water or soy/rice milk
1/4 C vegetable oil
3 eggs (or egg replacer)
1/4 C tapioca flour
1/2 C potato starch
2.5 C rice flour
1 T xanthum gum
1/8 t vitamin C crystals (optional - I never used)
1 t salt
2 t yeast

I made her recipe for years before I discovered another recipe we prefer. I'll be back with that later

A bunch of vegan baked goods:

3-Ingredient Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (I add cinnamon and a little brown sugar - make sure to get GF oats)

VEGAN BANANA OAT SCONES: This is not a GF recipe, but I make it GF by using 2 cups GF oats instead of regular oats. Then I sub baking mix for the 2 cups whole wheat flour (if you have buckwheat flour, use 1 cup buckwheat and 1 cup baking mix)

Gluten-free Vegan Maple Nut Scones
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup raw unrefined coconut oil
⅓ cup maple syrup
½ cup + 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk (I use any non dairy milk - canned coconut milk will make them more rich)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

I do this trick to measure the coconut oil (which is still solid at room temperature this time of year): Put the 1/2 cup coconut milk in a glass measuring cup, and add chunks of oil until it gets to the 1 cup point.

Place the flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt into a food processor. Fish the oil out of the milk, add it to the food processor, and pulse to mix. Dump this into a large bowl.

Add the syrup, milk, and vanilla to the bowl & mix with a spoon. You can add an egg or egg replacer at this point if you want fluffier scones. I didn't Fold in the walnuts.

Drop the blob of dough onto a cookie sheet, and press it down a bit until it's a flat circle. You can either score it into 8 scones, or cut it when it's done cooking. Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes.

BBL with more

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

Last edited by bananacake; 06-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Faux Cornbread

1/2 Cup Sorghum flour
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Guar Gum
1/2 Cup Rice Flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp Cream of Tartar (due to husband's allergies, I skip this)
1 tsp Flax meal

1 egg
2Tbs melted butter (DF or oil)
1/2 Cup Water or milk (can use DF milk)

Mix all until blended. Don't overmix. Pour into a 9" square pan Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. (For my family, I usually mix 4x the amount and bake in a 9x13 pan......left overs are frozen after crumbling to make stuffing later.)

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

FeatherLight Biscuits

1 3/4 cup Featherlight mix
3 tsps Baking powder
2 tsps sugar
2 tsps - 1Tbs flax meal
1 cup butter milk (could use soured DF milk)
1 tsp Guar GUm
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 Tbs shortening (I use the Spectrum brand or butter or DF butter)

Bake at 450. Mix all dry ingredients and then cut the shortening into the dry. Add the liquid and gently mix until the dough forms (do not overwork). Turn out onto floured surface and pat to 3/4" thick. Cut the dough into 2 1/2 inch squares or a biscuit cutter. Place 1" apart on an Ungreased baking pan or pizza stone. Bake for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven.

Featherlight mix

3 cups rice flour
3 cups tapioca flour
3 cups arrowroot flour
3 Tbs Potato flour

Later on as you decide on the flour mix you like, you could just sub those and play with the mix. This was the basic that I started out with 13 yrs ago. (I now use millet in this recipe mixed with some other flours and some starch to lighten the mixture.)

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

White Bread Loaf that is my recipe and JCC's for the 1st loaves we made going GF

2Cups of the Flour blend (3/2/1 listed above in my very 1st post)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup Potato starch
1Tbs Guar Gum
1 1/2tsp salt
2 Tbls sugar
1/2 cup dry milk
1 tsp agar agar (because corn free can't use gelatin)
2 Tbs melted butter (or DF)
1 1/2 cups water to 130F degrees
2 1/2 tsps -1 Tbs yeast
1 tsp ricevinegar
4 eggs (room temp)

In large measuring cup, warmed water, sugar,yeast. Allow this to grow as you measure your dry ingredients. Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture, vinegar to dry and mix. Add eggs 1 at a time until blended well and then add another egg. When all eggs are in the mixture, beat on high for 4 full minutes. You will see the dough start to have a stretching texture.

Dough should not be too stiff. Pour into 2 regular loaf pans that have been greased. Cover with a towel in a warm location and allow to rise for 1 hour. Bake at 375 F. 40-60 min. (at my elevation and my stove, I have to bake for about 65 min .

For raisin bread, I add 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup raisins and 1 to 1 1/2 tsps of cinnamon. I add the raisins and cinnamon at the very last of the 4 minutes beating.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Those are heavy on starch, but were the ones we were happy with when we first went GF.

I have some other heavier flour mixtures that used different grains that we use now, but I find those to be to each person's taste buds. You will want to use some starch to lighten the dough enough to rise.

I have found nearly all cookie and brownie recipes can be swapped cup for cup with the basic 3-2-1 flour mix in the 1st post from me. Just remember to add 1/2-1 tsp of Guar per cup of flour mix used.

Cake recipes are different with the flour mix, I loved the Annalise Robert's cookbook that is her GF cookbook. I also have a never fails pound cake recipe, but it uses 4 eggs. (It does wonderfully well with DF milk. I use coconut milk) I can type those up if you want, but since you reduce eggs, I haven't put them up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
greengirl19 (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I can't get "quote" to work. In Crystal's Bread Recipe what are the vitamin C crystals and what do they add to the bread?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

It is a type of preservative To help it be shelf stable longer.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

One other thing that I have found that helps to 'lighten' a loaf of bread is to add 1 or 2 tsps of Psyllium husks. (Of course adjust this for your on dietary needs of fiber.)
charla (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
I think that at first when you are detoxing that you will get the most satisfaction (taste) with the basic recipe I mentioned above.

Once you are off of the regular gluten SAD foods, your taste buds will change and you will like the heartier full grain flours better.

I love Buckwheat flour pancakes. They are a stick to your ribs type pancake. .
I wish this would work on my husband. He still doesn't seem to like heartier stuff.

When I first started doing gf I was looking at recipes and I thought they were horrid and the. I realize they were trying to recreate white bread, like Wonder bread, I always thought that stuff was horrid. So it was no wonder I was hating the GF stuff

The Silvana's Kitchen stuff is a good middle ground for me. I use millit and sorgam instead of rice flour and will toss millit seed and flax seed in with extra flax meal in the bread. So that it seems like real bread to be but is something dh will also eat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-06-2017), Maedchen (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Hmm, I can't get "quote" to work. In Crystal's Bread Recipe what are the vitamin C crystals and what do they add to the bread?
Sorry, I meant to mention those are optional and I never used them. I will edit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
charla (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Thanks for all the awesome recipes! We've been gf for a few years now and I am an avid baker but my specialties tend to be the easier things you've already mastered. I make LOTS of muffins and cookies and quick breads for the kids. Perfect for school lunches and snacks. So I'm subbing for some of these other recipes. Honestly, I find that I tend to do less and less of the gf "substitutes" and lean very heavily on naturally gf foods but I do want to perfect some of these other things.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (06-06-2017), Singingmom (06-06-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (06-06-2017)