Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sleep apnea -- condition & machines - what do we need to know?

DH was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea this week. He isn't severe enough that we are in a rush but severe enough they want him on a machine within a few weeks. He's symptomatic and doesn't have

He spoke to the person about 5 minutes because he was at work and busy. Long enough to glean they are getting him a data controlled machine but will take a few weeks.

He didn't find out what type of apnea he has - he looked at me blankly when he asked.

From what the doctor told him at his appointment before the in lab sleep study, he has no risk factors for sleep apnea. Still possible but we need to find out exactly what the risk factors are so he can avoid them - I know being overweight is one.

I started to google and got confused. Decided to start here. If anyone has links, that would be great.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sleep apnea -- condition & machines - what do we need to know?

My Dh has sleep apnea and so does his mom. I would get the most current machine as they keep updating the technology. (He has a Resmed S-9)

He uses a nasal pillow mask.

His machine basically sounds like air blowing all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (06-02-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleep apnea -- condition & machines - what do we need to know?

My machine doesn't make any noise but I can't sleep facing dh because it blows air in his face. Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common and the treatment is pretty much the same for both. Most likely he will use it for a month and go back in. They will read the card in his machine and give him a permanent pressure setting. Trying lots of masks is a good idea. Lots of people like nasal pillows but I hate them. Resist the temptation to over tighten the mask. Th biggest risk factors are obesity and a large neck. For now he can try positioning to help. Does he usually sleep on his back? Side sleeping or sleeping sitting up help.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

If he can't sleep with the machine, he may want to look at the devices sold by dentists now.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
deena (06-05-2016), tempus vernum (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Lost my reply and don't even remember what I was saying (I'm still a concussion mess which is making this situation interesting - I deal with the insurance for him).

Thank you all Taking notes.

He has no risk factors (he's 6'3" weighs 185 and has a normal neck) but doc says it happens for people without risk factors

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 06-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

More questions -

how much do you pay for your CPAP? Do you rent or did you buy? If you purchased, how often do you need a new one? (I saw the comment about staying with the most current machine)

we are having some difficulty with insurance and the home medical service offered us an option that we can get it but sign saying if insurance doesn't cover it we will pay private pay. It is $100/month.

AND yes, they want him to do the 30 days of recording information for the doctor as MoS said.

They also said - try tons of masks and the nurse informed me as many masks as he wants to try are free the first 30 days and after that we pay . . . until 6 months when he's eligible for a new one . . .

I am almost positive dh won't want to pay $100/month while we wait for the crazy insurance hold up (they are notoriously SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW). Last week said 1-2 weeks, now saying possibly 21 more days. . . praying they are wrong and get the authorization immediately.

The problem is he is on the high edge of mild (one more lost breath per hour and he'd be moderate I think) so they don't know if they want to pay. He's miserable so the doctor wants to try this. AND not being in a rush is one thing - another month of miserable with a diagnosis (we've waited a week already )

I just want my dh back. I'd pay a lot more than $100/month to get him back. He's been getting sicker and sicker for months now which is how this journey began.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

My dh has a CPAP machine. It has made SUCH a difference in his sleeping and his mood! His was maybe moderate, I don't remember.

We got a machine through a local home health place. Horrible customer service with them (Lincare), but that's another story. He did have to try various masks until he found one he liked. We rented the machine for a year and then it was paid for (so maybe more like leasing...). We don't make payments anymore, and I haven't heard of getting a new machine unless this one breaks! He can get replacement parts at determined time periods depending on the part, but we haven't done that often, mostly because we have to pay for it (co-insurance). But for example, he could get a new mask seal sooner than a new mask. There are lots of parts to it. Once you have a mask you like, you shouldn't need a new one for a while but you could get a new seal.

It didn't take long for me to get used to sleeping with it on. The big downside is that his movement is much more restricted at night- pretty much can only sleep on his back, some on his side. It would drive me crazy as a stomach sleeper! He sometimes thinks he get neck/back aches from being restricted.

But overall, VERY worth it!
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have to replace the cpap for several years at least. If it works it works kwim? You do have to regularly buy new masks and hoses and filters. I'm frankly terrible at that but they recommend every 6 months. You don't have to buy new headgear though until it starts to wear down.

In the mean time try to sleep sitting up. Do you have a recliner? That really helps me.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

ANyone wanna share how much they spent or spend if pay monthly

Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had a REALLY hard time as a stomach sleeper. In theory, some masks do better than others for side sleeping, but those didn't work well either...you had to learn to sleep with your mouth shut for the one they suggested.

The dental option was cheap...under $200, I think. Haven't tried it yet, but seems legit. Hoping. Dh doesn't want to try anything while working, because lost sleep trying to get used to it seems worse than status quo to him.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

$100/month without insurance sounds right for a rent to own (own it after 12 months). Insurance companies don't want to pay if you aren't going to keep using one.

Insurance will pay for a new one about every 5 years (I think), but it is in the rent deal again.

I was saying to get the most current one to get an edge of keeping up with the technology.

I would find out if your insurance company will reimburse you if you get the machine prior to approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post: