Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
herbalwriter

Default MUST SHARE THIS! fat-dairy-sugar-free, no-knead whole wheat bread!!!

THis is incredible bread. It is a white bread recipe but I adapted it to white whole wheat...and to not having a pizza slide nor cornmeal. Next I am going to try it with freshly ground ww flour. The original version was printed in our newspaper, and it's from a book by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." This is half the recipe. This makes 2 little fat loaves, about the size of small cantaloupes.

If you want bread on, say, Saturday, start this process Friday after lunch.

3/4 TB yeast
3/4 TB kosher salt
2 cups white whole wheat flour (like King Arthur)
1 1/4 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour

In large covered container - I used a glass salad bowl with snap-on lid - dissolve salt and yeast in 1 1/2 cups + 1 TB lukewarm water. Stir in flour - dough will be soft and conform to the shape of the container. If it doesn't, add more water 1 tsp at a time until it does (with ww flour, more water is usually required). Do not knead. Cover loosely with parchment paper or towel and let rise and then fall, 2-5 hours. When it's flat on top or fallen, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Or you could freeze it at this point.

When ready to bake, dust a piece of parchment paper with flour. Uncover the dough and dust it with flour. Dust your hands, too, and pull out a chunk about the size of a grapefruit. If you cut it off, use a serrated knife. Don't knead, but shape the dough into a ball, stretching and turning until it is rounded on top and bunched on the bottom. Dough will be super sticky, so keep coating hands with flour - but do not try to incorporate the flour into the dough. Place dough ball on the parchment paper and let rest, uncovered, for 40 min.

Cover and refrigerate remaining dough for up to 2 weeks. It tastes more "sourdough" the longer it's refrigerated.

As soon as the dough is set to rest, place oven rack in middle of oven and put a pizza/baking stone on middle rack; put empty broiler pan on bottom rack. Turn the oven on to 450. In 40 min., when dough has rested (it won't rise much - you'll ask yourself why you are bothering to bake a frisbee), stone will be hot enough. Dust top of dough ball with flour. Make 3 1/4 inch slashes in top of dough with serrated knife. Take stone out of oven, slide parchment paper (with dough on it) onto the stone, and pop into the oven; pour 1 cup hot tap water into broiler pan. Bake until loaf is well browned and no longer soft to the touch - recipe says 30 min, for me it was around 25. And if you take it out and cut it and it's too doughy in the middle, you can pop it back in the oven at 450 and bake some more. It's *that" forgiving.

This sounds lengthy, I know, but it's actually really fast and simple when you do it. And it is THE most amazing bread I have ever tasted - it's like the classiest French bread and with organic butter...oh man. Ds and I almost finished the loaf.

you can also make sticky buns with this, and pizza dough, and all kinds of stuff. I love that it has no sugar nor fat nor dairy.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice
Default Re: MUST SHARE THIS! fat-dairy-sugar-free, no-knead whole wheat bread!!!

Sounds yummy!

Do you think it would work with all whole wheat flour? And could I add fat? lol

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation
Default Re: MUST SHARE THIS! fat-dairy-sugar-free, no-knead whole wheat bread!!!

Oooohhhh! I'd LOVE to try this!
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh
Sounds yummy!

Do you think it would work with all whole wheat flour? And could I add fat? lol
I can say with a certain amount of confidence that it would probably work well with all white whole wheat. But I have not yet tried it with whole grain hard winter wheat. I usually grind it myself, but I copped out and used store bought for this recipe.

I wouldn't add any fat though...until you bake it. It is INCREDIBLE with butter.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

WOW. This sounds like the perfect bread if I want to get serious about baking all our bread!

I would like to try this today or tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to get to the store. I have white "Better for Bread" flour and some whole-wheat flour, but not a lot of either at the moment. Could I use a mixture?
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander
WOW. This sounds like the perfect bread if I want to get serious about baking all our bread!

I would like to try this today or tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to get to the store. I have white "Better for Bread" flour and some whole-wheat flour, but not a lot of either at the moment. Could I use a mixture?
I did. I used 2 cups white whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups white flour.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

So I could switch regular supermarket whole wheat flour out with the white whole wheat flour cup for cup? What exactly is white whole wheat flour? I don't think I can get it locally.

EDITED so it actually makes sense.
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_islander
So I could switch regular supermarket whole wheat flour out with the white whole wheat flour cup for cup? What exactly is white whole wheat flour? I don't think I can get it locally.

EDITED so it actually makes sense.
Yes, I bet you could use regular whole wheat the way I used white whole wheat. King Arthur's is the only brand I know that has white whole wheat - it is lower gluten and softer, finer flour - more like white flour, but it's 100% whole wheat. It's perfect for cookies and cakes and stuff.

So you could do maybe 2 cups regular whole wheat and 1 1/4 cups white.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

I use white whole wheat in just about everything. I think it's the same thing as whole wheat pastry flour, if you see that anywhere.

I'm planning on trying this bread soon.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
herbalwriter

I tried it today, using 2 cups white and 1 1/4 cups store bought whole wheat - not the white whole wheat. We'll see!

I really want to do it with freshly-ground flour, but I have just run out of time lately.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
puah

can't wait to try this soon!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
diamondintherough

dh loves artisan breads and they're expensive in the store. We used to go to a little Italian shop and get a loaf, but I haven't found anywhere to buy some since we moved besides the grocery store and they're just not as good.

Must try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondintherough
dh loves artisan breads and they're expensive in the store. We used to go to a little Italian shop and get a loaf, but I haven't found anywhere to buy some since we moved besides the grocery store and they're just not as good.

Must try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Then I bet you'd like this.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #15
puah

i just made this and can't get over how yummy and easy it is! i used all whole wheat freshly ground and it was perfect. mmmmmm!