Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #1
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Workbook for vocabulary esp for testing?

My dd is struggling with community college testing because she doesn't always understand the vocabulary in the questions. Not necessarily the vocabulary related to the material.

She has always really struggled to assimilate vocabulary no matter how much we read to her or made her read or did vocab workbooks.

But maybe if we can find something that specifically focuses on testing vocabulary, it would stick in her brain since she's seeing these words on her tests.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workbook for vocabulary esp for testing?

Can she take practice tests online and look up words when she doesn't know them? Or look at the end of chapter questions in the book to look up any words that are unfamiliar? It seems like the end of chapter questions frequently appear on tests with the exact same language

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
Can she take practice tests online and look up words when she doesn't know them? Or look at the end of chapter questions in the book to look up any words that are unfamiliar? It seems like the end of chapter questions frequently appear on tests with the exact same language

This is specifically for a history cc class. I don't have practice tests or anything. Probably a study guide but nowhere to see the actual questions.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Would root words be helpful? We LOVE word root rummy. Rather than improving vocabulary teaching her how to divide up the words to figure it out?

Is it multiple choose tests and not understanding the question or not recognizing the words that are answered?

Did she struggle w comprehension when learning to read?

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love the vocabulary cartoons books.

https://www.amazon.com/Vocabulary-Ca.../dp/0965242234

There are several.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Wordly Wise if you are looking for a curriculum

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #7
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Would root words be helpful? We LOVE word root rummy. Rather than improving vocabulary teaching her how to divide up the words to figure it out?

Is it multiple choose tests and not understanding the question or not recognizing the words that are answered?

Did she struggle w comprehension when learning to read?
Not understanding the question. Like if they use the word infer or inference on the question, she may not know what it means and so she doesn't understand what the question is about.

She has a VERY difficult time actually inferring anything which is why vocabulary is extremely hard for her to assimilate.

She had a very hard time learning to read and comprehend. She still has low comprehension but what do you do to improve this as a college student?

She took the reading portion of the TSI (cc entrance/placement test) three times before she passed it. She passed the writing section on the first try. She's made As and in two college English classes, psychology, medical terminology, ethics, and college algebra. I think this history teacher is just really hard. But I think it's too late at this point to really remediate vocab unless anyone knows something very specific to college vocab common on tests.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

That's why i was suggesting practice tests online. Not so much for the actual subject content, but to look up words like "infer" as she takes a test. Maybe that will help? Or write down words she didn't understand ASAP after a test to look up and know for next time?

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 03-04-2021, 12:26 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Not understanding the question. Like if they use the word infer or inference on the question, she may not know what it means and so she doesn't understand what the question is about.

She has a VERY difficult time actually inferring anything which is why vocabulary is extremely hard for her to assimilate.

She had a very hard time learning to read and comprehend. She still has low comprehension but what do you do to improve this as a college student?

She took the reading portion of the TSI (cc entrance/placement test) three times before she passed it. She passed the writing section on the first try. She's made As and in two college English classes, psychology, medical terminology, ethics, and college algebra. I think this history teacher is just really hard. But I think it's too late at this point to really remediate vocab unless anyone knows something very specific to college vocab common on tests.

Written or also oral? Does it make a difference if it’s read aloud?

My question was leading towards whether she would qualify for assistive resources for kids w disabilities but I’m honestly not sure abt comprehension . Has she ever been diagnosed w learning issues ? If kids qualify for college level assistive services, they can have access to certain computer softwares. Many read them for you but I’m unsure about vocabulary and comprehension . My son was able to get accommodation on his lifeguard and wsi exam and they reworded some. Obviously that’s not college but we were given the impression rewording was an accommodation our son could get for oral test taking assistance in college as well as extra time on timed tests

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

She's been tested and the only diagnosis they made was ADHD. She qualifies for some accommodations, which she didn't ask for this semester, but I don't think there really is anything that helps with vocab and comprehension. She can get extra time on tests, but her ADHD causes her to rush anyway so I don't think she could even use extra time effectively. I wish they'd let her have a dictionary. But I don't think they do.

Part of it is also not understanding difficult sentence structure too. I don't know how you remediate that. My only truck for increasing compensation is to read more and read harder stuff. And it takes time. She needs to slow down and attempt to grasp it but her brain starts to wander if she goes slowly.

She's considering taking ADHD meds but doesn't really want to start them mid semester.

tempus vernum (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post

She's considering taking ADHD meds but doesn't really want to start them mid semester.

Why not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #12
passthemanna
Rose Garden

If she is concerned about side effects, maybe spring break would be a good time to try?

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #13
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

((((((hug))))) adhd deserve higher accommodations (it’s a frustration I know well ).

There are processes and ways to help improve comprehension beyond just reading but I can’t tell from your post if you’ve done them so I’m hesitant to start suggesting. if you want I will explain what it usually done for people who struggle w comprehension and dyslexia.

I understand the hesitancy to start meds mid semester. It’s a hard decision. And it’s kinda Russian roulette in regards to whether it will work or not. You could do genetic testing for meds; however I will be honest and say that wasn’t helpful for S in regards to unbearable side effects

I’m praying.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #14
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Why not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
She's never taken them and doesn't want to deal with side effects.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote:
If she is concerned about side effects, maybe spring break would be a good time to try?

I will suggest this!

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
((((((hug))))) adhd deserve higher accommodations (it’s a frustration I know well ).

There are processes and ways to help improve comprehension beyond just reading but I can’t tell from your post if you’ve done them so I’m hesitant to start suggesting. if you want I will explain what it usually done for people who struggle w comprehension and dyslexia.

I understand the hesitancy to start meds mid semester. It’s a hard decision. And it’s kinda Russian roulette in regards to whether it will work or not. You could do genetic testing for meds; however I will be honest and say that wasn’t helpful for S in regards to unbearable side effects

I’m praying.
I'm willing to hear suggestions. I've been a very bad mom in regards to my kids' learning issues. I just don't seem to have the bandwidth to deal with it.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #15
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

DS is studying for the SAT and this is what I told him to do. He told me he kept having to look words up from the practice tests so I told him to get a notebook and start writing them down along with a definition. Maybe some SAT vocabulary flash cards would help. Or maybe Google academic vocabulary and see if there is a list of words she can study.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

I did a Google search and this came up.

https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/7537949

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

This too.

https://quizlet.com/549904484/academ...y-flash-cards/
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (03-06-2021)