Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language learning apps. Lingodeer?

Yeah, I think if I didn't have 4 years of really rusty high school German, Duolingo would not be much help.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

2 years of German and i can remember das tut mir leid. darf ich auf die tiolette? obst und gemuseladen

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember-

Der Fehrenseapparat ist wieder kaputt! Vati ist wirklich argerlich!
Old 12-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #19
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

Das ist wúnderbar! Zer gut!

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 12-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #20
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
argerlich!
I learnt that word just to talk about my little sister in my German oral.

Teri, sometimes when I'm tired I mix up French and Spanish words. But it's not too bad because I didn't start French until I'd finished the Spanish tree (they've added new stuff so I need to finish it again). Everything except for Welsh I studied in school, which definitely helps.
Some of my points are slightly misleading because the German was just me testing out of each section in my first few weeks. But then I didn't continue with it, and the Russian too - so weird to think that in school I could write/talk quite a bit, I barely remember any Russian now. Maybe I'll get back to it one day. Definitely focused on the Spanish. Even though mostly just to read. (And I definitely made the most progress when I read real stuff in real life, and the second most progress when I did a lot a lot on Duolingo - just doing a lot isn't hugely helpful, though could be if you're engaging with people in real life too!)
I started the Spanish to English tree after finishing the Spanish tree, and that does have new stuff to teach.

The Welsh is so cool though. It's a bit different. But also so cool when you see the connections and can guess meanings. It doesn't have integrated tips but the developers have explained quite a lot in the course notes. (This is true of Duolingo in general - if you go to the website there's quite a lot more grammar explanation etc than there is in the app.)

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #21
passthemanna
Rose Garden

I signed up for audible and kindle unlimited and plan to increase my spanish reading and listening. I do have at least 1 spanish speaking friend and hope to get together for coffee and whatnot once covid calms down. I think that will be a good way to get practice. It's been ínteresting to see how much a little foreign language exposure helps with taking in medical terminology. It makes me want to expose my kids and myself to lots of different languages. They are in 1st, 4th, and 7th at an IB charter where they are learning Spanish.
I used to be pretty decent with German- that seems so long ago! at least if i ever need a bathroom or to apologize and I'm surrounded by German speakers, I'll be set!

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
JoannaV (12-31-2020)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #22
passthemanna
Rose Garden

Well, now Rosetta stone has lifetime unlimited languages for$179!

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Nevermind. There are a lot of negative reviews

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Soliloquy (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

We bought Rosetta Stone and hated it but that that was back in 2011.
passthemanna (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #24
passthemanna
Rose Garden

I'm just sticking with free duolingo this year. My frugal side won. Plus I won't have as much time once school starts and know I spent money on something I'm not using will make me anxious!
I do prefer to play on the computer. I build points so when I lose hearts on the app I can buy them back

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 01-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #25
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
I'm just sticking with free duolingo this year. My frugal side won. Plus I won't have as much time once school starts and know I spent money on something I'm not using will make me anxious!

I do prefer to play on the computer. I build points so when I lose hearts on the app I can buy them back
Can you talk about the difference between the computer and the phone app?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (01-10-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #26
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

On the app they have 5 "Hearts" per day which you lose when you make a mistake, though you can refill them with gems (which you earn for doing lessons) or by practicing previous lessons. On the web version they don't have hearts and you can just keep doing lessons regardless of mistakes.
(Android didn't have hearts when I started but it does now; they often change up features. Sometimes they are aiming to maximize language learning and other times they are maximizing user retention - the latter contributes to the former but not always.)

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (01-09-2021), passthemanna (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #27
passthemanna
Rose Garden

I think the hearts are also used to entice people to get the paid version. The paid version of the app has unlimited hearts.
I also like being able to type on a real keyboard. I also have found it's helpful to download a Spanish keyboard on my phone.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 01-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #28
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Your thread is inspiring. But the language I want to leaen, Khmer, is not in any of the big name programs. If anyone has any tips for how to learn uncommon languages, I'm all ears.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote