Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:18 AM   #1
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me with my meal plan and categories!

I have a flexible loose meal plan because it's the only one that has ever worked for me for more than a couple of days. I love it but it needs to be adjusted for food sensitivity / allergy reasons. The starred days are the ones I need to adjust.

*Sunday - pasta, we have both 3 out of 5 of us who have dairy allergies and three out of five of us who now cannot have tomatoes I've tried other types of sauces etc to go with the pasta but nobody is happy right now . I think we need a very long break from all pasta to adjust to the no spaghetti sauce before we can try alternatives again period so I need to find something super easy that I can do on this day, because we have both morning church and evening church most Sundays.

Monday - Leftovers or Breakfast for dinner if there aren't any.

Tuesday - Taco Tuesday (can be any mexican dish, but the usual is tacos right now)

Wednesday - rice bowl with any meat, veggie, sauce or no (like chutney) we usually do rice with chicken, asparagus, peppers, onion, beans, and other odds and ends. I have a son who refuses to eat rice right now, so he will often have the meat and veggies in a corn wrap which works for me.

Thursday - grill day: grilled meat, roasted veggies like asparagus or broccoli, rice or baked potatoes (I need to find a different carb filler, I have a son who is always hungry who has oral sensory aversions and food refusal who is not touching rice or potatoes right now, nor corn bread, and we are GF for a host of reasons so bread is far too expensive and my adhd brain is frozen at the idea of making bread right now. I'm working on dismantling that wall of awful but I have to get school going first)

* Friday - soup and bread: almost always taco soup, my oral sensory aversions child loves it and will eat it almost without fail. Esp once it gets cold. I could use help with variety here though.

* Saturday - special meal night: this is when we have pizza, or artichokes, or chicken pot pie, or those special meals that cost more and take more effort to make. This is also dessert Day. but I don't always have time for the more special meals and we don't always have the money for them either so I want something to help with meals on this day when we don't have either the time or the money for something a little more special.

***Edit to add: our food allergies/sensitivities are - dairy, gluten, bananas, soy, tomatoes, kiwi, and my husband deals with coconut and yeast. but my husband is only home a few days out of the month because he's a trucker so I only have to worry about those ingredients occasionally.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me with my meal plan and categories!

Will your son with the food aversions eat potatoes if they are mashed? What about sweet potato? If it is the texture, would he eat roasted radishes? They taste similar to roasted potatoes if cooked in the oven with a little oil and seasoning.

If it isn't texture, what about a mashed cauliflower or riced cauliflower? If texture isn't a problem, I can get the mashed cauliflower that tastes similar to mashed potatoes.
I enjoy cauliflower, cubed sweet potatoes, radishes, carrots and or cubed
beets with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary, oregano roasted. They can be chopped and seasoned in a ziplock bag for future meals. I usually make enough for 2 gallon bags and take out as needed.

Would doing fish, chicken or beef(even ground) with fajita mix work? You would need to mix ahead a Mexican Seasoning without the tomato powder.

Do you do gravies at all? (I will sometimes just use Tapioca flour/starch as my thickener if I do not have GF Bisquick or my 3-2-1 flour mix on hand) I brown hamburgers in a frying pan, then place in a 9 x 13 dish you could slice onions and some garlic if you like those. Make a gravy in the frying pan you used with 2 -3 heaping Tablespoons of Tapioca stirred and dissolved into 3 cups of water that has seasoning or oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper. Pour over and bake the hamburgers covered at 350 for an hour.

If you would like a substitute faux tomato recipe, I have one. My husband has to avoid tomatoes.

Do you Chinese type foods? I know you avoid soy. My husband always loved a sweet tasting chicken dish. We enjoy browning chicken (I will use cubed breast, ground chicken or turkey, thighs or legs) seasoned with salt, pepper, Chinese 5 spice I put a bag of carrots coins, shreds or just baby carrots if in a hurry, and soften in a little oil. you could add a little green peas or pea pods, celery, green onions.......after they are not quite cooked, place the meat on top of the veggies, I add a bag of shredded cabbage season with a little salt and Chinese 5 spice......... I put about 1/4 cup Maple syrup over the top of all of the food in the frying pan. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes for boneless meat.. Serve over rice for those that enjoy rice........... It is different without the soy, but we adjust pretty quickly.

If you make gravy, you could do a quick meal with ground, or cubed meat (your choice) cooked in gravy, seasoned as you wish with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary with onion and garlic and then serve it over cooked pasta. Side veggies of your choice.

Would the family eat your taco soup if you made it without the tomato? Put the same seasonings in that you normally use.

If you could bring yourself to make GF Biscuits, the gravy from the meat of your choice and a bag of mixed veggies baked in the oven with the biscuits on top of the gravy with all of the ingredients in a 9x13 dish makes a pretty good pot pie substitute.

If you haven't tried Mei Fun noodles, they are 100% rice and pretty cheap on the Ethnic Aisle or and Asian Grocery store......your son with the sensitivities might accept that form of noodles in the place of rice and it can be served in an Egg drop soup, or with ground meat rolled in cabbage leaves or lettuce leaves (you could add the veggies you wish to make the mixture)

If you have a Whole Foods or look online to order a Miso paste made from Chickpeas.........it is soy free and could be used with water to make a soy sauce substitute.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that taking a long break frommpasta before be commingnback to it will help.

How does your family do with salids?

Have you ever tried cooking whole millit instead of rice? What is there opinion of rice noodles?

My go to meal on Sundays is tunafish - I make our own mayo ( really really super easy if you have an immersion blender - wiggle worm does it for me now) to ovoid soybean oil

What is it about the taco soup that you kido likes? Maybe there is something that has a similar feel but a different flavor profile.

If you want to talk about gluten, dairy, soy free bread let me know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post

If you have a Whole Foods or look online to order a Miso paste made from Chickpeas.........it is soy free and could be used with water to make a soy sauce substitute.
ok I am going to go look for this!

My normal sub for soy sauce is coconut aminos and fish sauce.

I agree with Maedchen that asian foods are with a look even though you are avoiding soy.

We do stirfeied cabbage and pork a lot and one of my super super easy meals is a peanut sauce over rice noodles.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will your son with the food aversions eat potatoes if they are mashed? What about sweet potato? If it is the texture, would he eat roasted radishes? They taste similar to roasted potatoes if cooked in the oven with a little oil and seasoning.

If it isn't texture, what about a mashed cauliflower or riced cauliflower? If texture isn't a problem, I can get the mashed cauliflower that tastes similar to mashed potatoes.
I enjoy cauliflower, cubed sweet potatoes, radishes, carrots and or cubed
beets with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary, oregano roasted. They can be chopped and seasoned in a ziplock bag for future meals. I usually make enough for 2 gallon bags and take out as needed.

Would doing fish, chicken or beef(even ground) with fajita mix work? You would need to mix ahead a Mexican Seasoning without the tomato powder.

Do you do gravies at all? (I will sometimes just use Tapioca flour/starch as my thickener if I do not have GF Bisquick or my 3-2-1 flour mix on hand) I brown hamburgers in a frying pan, then place in a 9 x 13 dish you could slice onions and some garlic if you like those. Make a gravy in the frying pan you used with 2 -3 heaping Tablespoons of Tapioca stirred and dissolved into 3 cups of water that has seasoning or oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper. Pour over and bake the hamburgers covered at 350 for an hour.

If you would like a substitute faux tomato recipe, I have one. My husband has to avoid tomatoes.

Do you Chinese type foods? I know you avoid soy. My husband always loved a sweet tasting chicken dish. We enjoy browning chicken (I will use cubed breast, ground chicken or turkey, thighs or legs) seasoned with salt, pepper, Chinese 5 spice I put a bag of carrots coins, shreds or just baby carrots if in a hurry, and soften in a little oil. you could add a little green peas or pea pods, celery, green onions.......after they are not quite cooked, place the meat on top of the veggies, I add a bag of shredded cabbage season with a little salt and Chinese 5 spice......... I put about 1/4 cup Maple syrup over the top of all of the food in the frying pan. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes for boneless meat.. Serve over rice for those that enjoy rice........... It is different without the soy, but we adjust pretty quickly.

If you make gravy, you could do a quick meal with ground, or cubed meat (your choice) cooked in gravy, seasoned as you wish with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary with onion and garlic and then serve it over cooked pasta. Side veggies of your choice.

Would the family eat your taco soup if you made it without the tomato? Put the same seasonings in that you normally use.

If you could bring yourself to make GF Biscuits, the gravy from the meat of your choice and a bag of mixed veggies baked in the oven with the biscuits on top of the gravy with all of the ingredients in a 9x13 dish makes a pretty good pot pie substitute.

If you haven't tried Mei Fun noodles, they are 100% rice and pretty cheap on the Ethnic Aisle or and Asian Grocery store......your son with the sensitivities might accept that form of noodles in the place of rice and it can be served in an Egg drop soup, or with ground meat rolled in cabbage leaves or lettuce leaves (you could add the veggies you wish to make the mixture)

Oh my this had some amazing stuff in it. Thank you. I'll be on my computer later and I'll do a more thorough reply.

I already make the taco soup without tomatoes. We adjusted that this past winter, and he loves it thankfully.
He recently developed a love of beats, I'm going to make them a regular part of our order and can make them along side our rice or potatoes. But I don't want to wear him out on them.
We don't like riced cauliflower unless it is mixed with regular rice, I do that occasionally when we are having a really carb heavy meal or week. We haven't tried mashed cauliflower, I can try that and see what he thinks. He used to only eat mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Now he won't eat either. Very occasionally he'll try them again but can't get past 2 bites. But I'm so pleased he is willing to try.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Will your son eat amaranth, buckwheat groats or quinoa? You cou rinse any of those to sub for rice.

What about zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash?

With the way you now make taco soup, there is a YouTube video on making pizza soup you might be able to tweak. There is also a cashew cheese recipe on YouTube. You might want to check out. if you can make a cheese the kiddos like, you could make pizza using a white sauce instead of tomatoes.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I have a very easy pizza crust that is sort of thick... No yeast and you can spread on the pan with your hands. Just let me know.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

I would love the pizza crust recipe!

Old 09-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

This is a soft crust (medium thickness)

Pizza Crust
2 cups plain flour ( 3 cups rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, 1 cup Tapioca mix)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1-2 teaspoons guar gum (I think I used 2 tsps)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk (your choice)

Mix and top with sauce and toppings of choice. Bake at 350 F until done. About 20 min depending on your oven.

If you want the bread mix to be a little more nutritional, I would try to change 1/4 of a cup at a time the grain change. I just know that this mix worked for the texture my kids liked when they were home.

bechamel sauce could be used in place of the tomato sauce, pesto sauce, or a faux tomato sauce.

Faux Tomato sauce I use for spaghetti could be tweaked for pizza sauce

3 beets, 3-4 large carrots and 2-3 stalks of celery........cook and puree. You could cook it down to desired thickness. This makes a faux tomato sauce.

Add seasonings of choice and onions and garlic for spaghetti if you desire those and can have them.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I know you said you are not doing breads, but if you decide you want to venture into making some biscuits and or a faux cornbread, I have those recipes that are my go to recipe and they are quick and easy with no yeast.
SewingGreenMama (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

That pizza dough sounds amazing!
I have a cornbread recipe we love, but I'm struggling to find a good biscuit recipe so I'd love one. It's yeast bread I'm not able to tackle right now. But the soda breads I'm doing pretty good tackling.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

[/COLOR]I know you said you are not doing breads, but if you decide you want to venture into making some biscuits and or a faux cornbread, I have those recipes that are my go to recipe and they are quick and easy with no yeast.
I would love to compare biscuits recipes. I have a gluten free one that we love.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (09-06-2020), SewingGreenMama (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

I will try to remember to type it up tomorrow. I have found if I add a little Psyllium powder, about 1 tsp it helps to lighten up breads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
knitlove (09-06-2020), SewingGreenMama (09-07-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 05:14 AM   #11
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I agree with taking a pasta break. Even with our simpler dietary needs here that require 3 types of pasta (gluten, gluten free, and zucchini noodles) I find what used to be the simplest meal to be one of the harders. So I rarely if ever do pasta anymore.

What about crockpot day on Sunday. You could even put the ingredients together Saturday night and just plug it in Sunday morning. That makes for an easy meal prep.

Or a salad day? You can find lots of variations on salad online.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (09-13-2020)