Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #61
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need to say a few things about the idea of defiance

Since this is in a public part of the forum-can I have dh read the op? We are struggling with how we view things as defiance.

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #62
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem mama View Post
Since this is in a public part of the forum-can I have dh read the op? We are struggling with how we view things as defiance.
anything public is fair game for all

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heather Micaela For This Useful Post:
Tandem mama (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #63
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela View Post
anything public is fair game for all
That's what I thought but am still new and didn't want to break rules.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (10-21-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #64
wallflowermama
Rose Bouquet

wallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to allwallflowermama is a name known to all

INxJ Type 4/2 Wife to DH since 2003
Homeschooling Mama to Munchkin #1 (M) - Sept/05, and Munchkin #2 (A) - Nov/10

wallflowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #65
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing.

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #66
Molly

Thanks Crystal, that was a really simple way of putting it. I really appreciate that. It certainly will make me think when it comes to the children and their defiance. I do have a question though, not sure whether this has already been discussed as I only your original post. What if the defiance is against doing something? Eg my daughter was adamant that she was not going to do her school work with me yesterday, I have no idea why but she was in a very cranky mood not wanting to do anything at all that I suggested. How do you deal with that? Do you as the parent ask why she is feeling that way, why she is not wanting to do school work? Sorry, but I am only just beginning on my journey as a grace based parent.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #67
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
Thanks Crystal, that was a really simple way of putting it. I really appreciate that. It certainly will make me think when it comes to the children and their defiance. I do have a question though, not sure whether this has already been discussed as I only your original post. What if the defiance is against doing something? Eg my daughter was adamant that she was not going to do her school work with me yesterday, I have no idea why but she was in a very cranky mood not wanting to do anything at all that I suggested. How do you deal with that? Do you as the parent ask why she is feeling that way, why she is not wanting to do school work? Sorry, but I am only just beginning on my journey as a grace based parent.
I can answer briefly but I'm sure a new post started with this situation will get lots of different ideas for you. Usually I evaluate the situation using the HALT (I know some have added other letters that are great but I can never remember them 3). This is basically to stop and ask if the child is Hungry, Anxious, Lonely or Tired. Add in whatever other things are usually a trigger for your child and most times it's pretty easy to figure out what is impacting them. Take some time to address the emotion or underlying issue and then you will gain cooperation (or remove the reason it wasn't coming). You can ask with an older child but not all children are able to know and express their feelings until they are taught. My guess is she was either hungry or tired or something negative happened at school she hadn't yet processed
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #68
Molly

I will hunt out that other thread. But thank you, that so makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-03-2011)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #69
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

Way old thread that I want to sub Great stuff here.
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

me, too

thanks for bumping it so I could find it
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (06-03-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #71
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmyilee View Post
Thanks, this has been coming up a lot for me lately because they just did a Dobson study at our church.........I really needed that clarification and reminder.

in the instance of the spilled cereal..........I would have thought the examples that you gave would not have been defiance either. BUT what about when I say "your cereal bowl goes on the table" and the child (now I am not meaning a toddler, like my 4yo) picks up the bowl and dumps it out on the floor..........what then? I mean I would still give them a towel and would expect him to help clean it up, but should that "attitude" (I hate to use that word) be dealt with?
I've discovered that when my son deliberately disobeyed me before he could talk it was to make sure the rule still applied, that it was true with both hands, etc, not defiance, just exploring the boundaries to fully understand them, or such a total single minded NEED to know, touch, explore the particular thing they are unable to stop and need serious distraction.
Now that he is older when he is defient I have discovered it is usually because I've either not been consistent or I have treated him unjustly and he is defiant and uncooperative out of hurt and anger, that is MY fault, it doesn't excuse him but it does help me understand, then I step forward and apologize, re-establish boundaries etc and almost immediately he is a different child. I'm modeling correct behavior and addressed the true situation, his defiance was a helpless, hurt, and/or confused child's reaction to confusing boundaries/authority and/or unjustness.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
mokamoto (06-14-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #72
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've discovered that when my son deliberately disobeyed me before he could talk it was to make sure the rule still applied, that it was true with both hands, etc
My scientific/engineer/techie-minded son was like that as a tiny tot.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (06-10-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #73
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

For my oldest, I've noticed "defiance" during stress times and age changes. I think the age changes may be a hormonal shift. When she feels out of control, she becomes oppositional and fights me for control over everything going on in our home. We keep our boundaries but make space for extra choice making for her during those times. We try to allow her to feel more in control without becoming permissive and losing all boundaries. We reasses some of them to make sure they're necessary. Mostly we just wait the phase out.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
My scientific/engineer/techie-minded son was like that as a tiny tot.
Good to know my techno kid isn't the only one.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
katiekind (06-10-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #75
Whirlwind
Rose Blossom

Whirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really niceWhirlwind is just really nice

Thanks, that is a very helpful way of looking at things (that kids may be testing the rule for greater understanding, rather than testing a parent for "weakness"). I'll try to tuck that info in the back of my mind somewhere for any future frustrating moments.
Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whirlwind For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (06-14-2012), mokamoto (06-14-2012)