Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #61
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My cold/flu season secret weapons, please share yours!

This year I have mixed lemons, ginger, and raw honey in a jar and added it to my tea whenever I start to feel something coming on.

and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #62
SpringMama5
Rosebud

SpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the roughSpringMama5 is a jewel in the rough

Eliminating sugar from our diet has helped greatly. Any sweetness added to oatmeal is derived from fruit. If by chance we do get an illness it doesnt last long and isnt as bad. A cold that we all got only went as far as a mild sore throat and runny nose that lasted a couple days.
DD1 02/90
DS1 08/04
DD2 10/06
DS2 12/08
DS3 07/10
and

SpringMama5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #63
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Vitamine D! In advance, for prevention.
Depends, of course, on where you are living, but here, close to the North Pole, vitamine D "for all the months with an R" is very important.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #64
DolphinMemae
Rose Trellis

(me holding my first granddaughter, Clara Ruth

DolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond repute

trying to fight off some form of bug right now.
Ryan ,Married to his sweetheart, Sara
Kerith - PixieMama Married to her first love Eli
and Benjamin Married to his Precious Gabby
Memae to eleven wonderful grandchildren

DolphinMemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #65
Anne Ofalamo
Rose Blossom

~never lose your joy

Anne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of lightAnne Ofalamo is a glorious beacon of light

Being an OLD wife....lol
The thing that works the best for us, seriously, is no matter how cold it gets, I a few times a week, open all the windows and air the house out. We do freeze out chore time...hilarious, as we rush around vacumning, dishes and such..
the van too...we roll all the windows down and go a few miles yelling and laughing.
Twinky Dinks(girls-identical twins) (16)
the Beast (10)
Whit (8)
Little man (7)
Bits of our LIfe Blog
Anne Ofalamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anne Ofalamo For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-14-2018), Reva (10-25-2016)
Old 10-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #66
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great bump!!
Vitamin B,C,D and elderberry syrup here are staples.
The next time Hubby calls from Central Market,I will have some names!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #67
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about what I need to buy for the upcoming cold season. Kids only got sick once last year. Hoping for a healthy year again.

I have OnGuard, Vitamin D, and probiotics. Need to add to my supplies.
Reva (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #68
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to add a kids safe EO for immune support.

last winter we did Smoothies daily with elderberry snuck in and Cod Liver Oil. This year I plan to continue that as it really seemed to help keep any illness we had mild/short.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Reva (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #69
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to review ideas. This is my first time having a little baby in the Autumn / winter and would like to keep us as healthy as possible.

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Reva (08-30-2017)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #70
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

MayzieMcgrew is on a distinguished road

My Dd's pediatrician is also an Ayurveda doctor. Her recommendation for the cold season are: consuming lots of fruit (in season), ditching white flour, sugar and dairy, and heat-inducing spices.l (because the goal is for the body not to lose heat).

I had never heard of fighting flu season with spices, and thought it was quite interesting. Anyways, her list of heat inducing spices is: cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cloves, cardamom, mustard seeds, black pepper.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

C - (almost) 2 years old
MayzieMcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MayzieMcgrew For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #71
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieMcgrew View Post
My Dd's pediatrician is also an Ayurveda doctor. Her recommendation for the cold season are: consuming lots of fruit (in season), ditching white flour, sugar and dairy, and heat-inducing spices.l (because the goal is for the body not to lose heat).

I had never heard of fighting flu season with spices, and thought it was quite interesting. Anyways, her list of heat inducing spices is: cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cloves, cardamom, mustard seeds, black pepper.

I use cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cloves all in my homemade elderberry syrup The only one I see missing from her list I've heard is REALLY amazing is horseradish.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Another secret I've learned to use - tea tree oil for ear pain -- apply in a circle around the ear It works really well to numb pain and eliminate ear infections

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #72
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I use cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cloves all in my homemade elderberry syrup The only one I see missing from her list I've heard is REALLY amazing is horseradish.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Another secret I've learned to use - tea tree oil for ear pain -- apply in a circle around the ear It works really well to numb pain and eliminate ear infections
How do you use horseradish????
Tea tree is awesome!! I've used it for other things. Never for ear infections, though. Will definitely give it a try!!

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #73
MayzieMcgrew
Seedling Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly View Post
I have to be extra vigilent during cold/flu season, due to ds's blood disorder. An ordinary cold can turn into a week of 105 fever and dangerous issues for him. So - aside from daily praise and prayer for my family's health, here's what I do as soon as we enter cold/flu season. (I started on Monday, btw).

Everyone in the house gets a daily capsule of Culturelle. After much research, I feel confident that this is the BEST probiotic available for my family. It's expensive but well worth it IMO as it really bolsters the entire immune system during such a critical time of the year. I break the capsules open for the dc and sprinkle it in a smoothie or organic OJ every morning. Don't bother with the kids version, btw, it's exactly the same strength as regular and you get less product for more $$.

Daily vitamins for everyone. The kids are on Rainbow Light Nutristars, which they aren't crazy about flavorwise, but will tolerate. These vitas rock with all the usual stuff plus bioflavanoids, FOS, veggie concentrats, organic spirulina and wheat sprouts, digestive enzymes and immune boosting herbs. We have used them for years and I start my dc on them at 2 yo. I take Rainbow Light Prenatal Ones since I'm still nursing, and dh has Rainbow Light basics when I can get them in him.

Whenever I hear of a local outbreak of anything, or anytime we are going to be traveling, I start the kids on one daily dose of Herbs for Kids Astragalus (liquid herbal supplement). Astragalus is amazing for the immune system! (Don't give if your dc has fever, btw, as it contains salycites similar to aspirin). During travel, I up it to two doses per day.

Vitamin C, a mama's friend! My dc & dh get a continuous winter dose of 500 mg per day, while I take 1000 mg per day (includes bioflavanoids) of the Country Life capsule brand. The rest of the family gets a yummy Jungle Juice flavored of their fave Natural Factors brand. My kids BEG for these!

Soy protein and flax smoothies every morning. My VitaMix has been worth it's weight in gold already for our daily health smoothies! I use the Organic Cold Milled Flax from Costco and a big scoop of Whole Nectar soy protein smoothie mix, plus a hefty portion of organic peanut butter (also from Costco), vanilla almond milk, and a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa (or chocolate ovaltine in a pinch). I can sneak in any herbals and their Culturelle without them ever having a clue, and I make sure they get it all by asking them to sample a small portion (with their supplements in ) to "make sure it tastes good" before I pour a big cup.

Afternoon Fruit & Veggie Smoothies. Again, blessed with a VitaMix, these become easy and delicious ways to sneak in veggies like spinach, carrots, celery, kale, beets and more! The kids only taste a sweet fruit smoothie or "ice cream" but I know the goodness hiding within!

Also on hand in my natural medicine cabinet:
Herbs for Kids Echinacea & Goldenroot (for use during fever, at first sign of any illness and for duration of illness up to 10 days)
Rhino Kids Zinc (for use during head colds)
Homeopathic Ferum Phos (helpful for regulating body temp, esp. in a vomiting child who cannot tolerate oral meds)
Homeopathic Nux Vomica (to ease vomiting)
Hyland's Earache Drops
Hyland's Calms Forte (wonderful for helping restless child rest/sleep, great for grown-ups, too!)
Jason Tea Tree Satin Soap - a wonderful natural antibac soap that is used before every meal at home
Herb Pharm liquid echinacea for dh and I
Herbs for Kids Nettles & Eyebright (wonderful for head colds/sinus issues)
Herbs for Kids Horehound blend (for lung/chest colds/cough/respiratory)
Throat Coat teabags

My two can't-live-without books:
Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child by Janet Zand, et al.
Your Vital Child by Mark & Angela Stengler, ND's

Where I get my stuff:
If needed, I will shop at WF, but most everything I purchase in advance in early November, through my fave online discounter, www.VitaCost.com . They ship any size order for $5, it usually arrives within 2-3 days, and if you go through www.MrRebates.com, you also get a 6% kickback into your PayPal account! Not to mention the larger sized products for about half the cost of what you'd pay at WF for the smaller versions!

Stuff I try to avoid:
Sugar
Refined foods
Fast food
Greasy food
Food dyes

All those things must be cleaned out by the liver, which is the foundation for our immune system. If our liver is busy purifying the blood from food dyes, preservatives, etc., that is all the less attention being given to the rest of the body's needs. Did you know that just one teaspoon of sugar will suppress the immune system's natural response to illness for FOUR HOURS?!

Stuff I try to sneak in:
Fresh garlic
Fresh ginger
Fresh onions
All fresh veggies and fruits
Extra sleep, rest, and downtime

The first three are natural anti-virals with blood-strengthening and healing properties not to be missed. I sneak them in by making what I call, "Star Soup".

Star Soup
6 organic onions
2 tbs freshly grated ginger (peel the outer skin then use your fine cheese grater)
6-8 HEADS of fresh garlic, peeled and mashed (drizzle w/olive oil then oven-roast it in tin foil first, it will be sweet!)
3 cubes Knorr chicken boullion (or fresh chicken stock, WAY better)
4 slices your favorite bread, toasted and cut into star shapes w/cookie cutter or paring knife.

Saute onions in a bit of olive oil. Add approx. 10 cups water and boullion cubes, stir til dissolved. Add ginger and garlic. Season to taste as needed. If it is too "strong", I add a packet of Stevia to slightly sweeten. Pour into pretty bowl and let cool slightly for children. Just before serving, float several toast stars on top. My dc also love to eat this using traditional Asian soup spoons for an extra special treat.

I also pull back from group activites and big indoor hangouts during this time of the year. Yeah, I'm sure my kids would love Chuck E. Cheese or local hands-on museums, but it's just not worth it to me. I would rather work extra hard to create individual playdates at home and other fun activities we can enjoy together at home. They still enjoy weekly activities (dance, martial arts - hand washing immediately after each class, bring own water bottles instead of using fountain like everyone else) but in general we do spend more time at home enjoying each other's company and creative play together.
This is great!!!!!!!!

C - (almost) 2 years old
Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #74
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieMcgrew View Post
How do you use horseradish????
Tea tree is awesome!! I've used it for other things. Never for ear infections, though. Will definitely give it a try!!

Very rarely do we manage horseradish and these days only on masters tonic as a supplement to make soup or chili spicy

I only posted in case someone loved it lol

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
MayzieMcgrew (03-14-2018)