Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitchen Maintenance

Yeah, I can't keep up with the floor.

This is what I do each night:

I lightly mist the worst areas with my homemade cleaning spray. I put a piece of paper towel under each foot and just slide around to wipe it up. It's good enough for now. I also have my kids do this but I'm more thorough. With dirty bare feet, dogs, in and out all day, I just embrace that a kitchen floor that gets dirty every day means we're having a a great summer. So, a little wiping is good enough in between deep cleanings.

Our microwave is storage for crackers and snacks. I love not having to clean a microwave. Worst job ever.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

The 'moping' routine in our house is I spray soptsand the girls wipe up the bubbles. itworkedbetterwhenni had one under 5 because then it was fun. ocasionally I will spray the floorand asked the girls ( I will do this as well) to wipe it up with there socked feet, the socks then go straight into the kitchen laundy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
charla (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I just wipe the microwave out any time something spills. But that doesn’t happen often because we always cover our food before microwaving: https://www.amazon.com/Vented-Microw.../dp/B00Q62PMG8

Floor— I have the swiffer that comes with the wet pads. It’s not the wet jet. But I don’t use the pads that comes with it because of chemicals. Here’s how to make your own: https://happymoneysaver.com/make-swiffer-wet-pads/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (08-05-2018), Quiteria (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 AM   #19
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I realized something this morning that has helped me so so much in kitchen cleaning.it sounds really counter productive but it has helped.

I don't try to always get something all the way clean. I just wipe it down every day. So every day I wipe the inside door of the stove and the microwave insodeand out.when I started doing this 6 months ago it didn't seem like I was doing any good but I just at it. Now the inside of my oven door isn't black and I can see in the window.

My inclination is that if I am going to clean it I have to completely scrub it untill it is all the way clean to start it. But that takes a tun of time and doesn't happen very often but I simply wipeing it down every day I have made and kept up with kuch lore progress than all of my deep cleaning before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-07-2018), Singingmom (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Oh I realized something this morning that has helped me so so much in kitchen cleaning.it sounds really counter productive but it has helped.

I don't try to always get something all the way clean. I just wipe it down every day. So every day I wipe the inside door of the stove and the microwave insodeand out.when I started doing this 6 months ago it didn't seem like I was doing any good but I just at it. Now the inside of my oven door isn't black and I can see in the window.

My inclination is that if I am going to clean it I have to completely scrub it untill it is all the way clean to start it. But that takes a tun of time and doesn't happen very often but I simply wipeing it down every day I have made and kept up with kuch lore progress than all of my deep cleaning before.

Oh that is a really good point!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (09-10-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Flylady recommends that, too. Half-hearted frequently adds up to more than whole-hearted sporadically.

A good time to wipe the microwave is right after something steamy. I used to always do it while tea was steeping, after heating the water. I tend to use the coffee machine now for hot water, so it's harder to remember, but another time is when you are finishing up handwash dishes...to take a quick swipe before putting away the sponge. You can set a mug of water to heat while doing the dishes if you anticipate something being stuck on.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
charla (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #22
knitlove
Rose Garden

Do you always cover things when heating in the microwave? I have not quite trained dh to always always do this but it really does cut down on most of the microwave issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
charla (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #23
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Do you always cover things when heating in the microwave? I have not quite trained dh to always always do this but it really does cut down on most of the microwave issue.

Yes, we cover every single time. The cover is dishwasher safe, too. So it’s easy to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #24
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

No, we don't cover at all.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
No, we don't cover at all.
That could make a huge change in how much and how hard cleaning the microwave is.

They have plastic or glass things that are designed to sit over a plate in the microwave.

I have these silicone bowl covers that I just toss on top of everything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
charla (08-07-2018), Quiteria (08-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #26
charla
Administrator

Wow, the half-hearted cleaning has really worked well! I'm amazed! I still can't keep up with the kitchen floor or the tub, but the rest of the kitchen and the rest of my house look pretty good. I wouldn't feel embarrassed if someone showed up unannounced!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (09-08-2018), RiverRock (09-07-2018), Singingmom (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #27
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

no kids or husbands allowed in kitchen.. Keeping nothing but vegetables in stock helps cut down on the above a lot..
Eating out often helps tremendously...
I'm 100% sure these methods work I just need to get my family and husband on board..
Till then...
100_2401 by pollardk2612, on Flickr

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

BTW no our kitchen doesn't really look that bad all the time. Its an old photo when M was still a toddler and well life...
charla (09-08-2018), Singingmom (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #28
charla
Administrator

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 09-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that half-hearted wiping the shower/tub daily at the end of your shower also does wonders, but I haven't field tested that one. Too many days where we're rushing to be somewhere or someone else needs get in there next. But in theory...it probably works...

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
charla (09-08-2018)