Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
runningmama
Rose Bouquet

runningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please share your beans and rice ideas

I need delicious ways to prepare beans and rice, slow cooker ideas welcome too. I need to save more money on food month to month. I know this can be a lovely, healthy alternative to bigger prep meals but I don't know where to start.

How do you make beans and rice?
(11-07)

As an INFP please be assured that this post was probably deleted and rewritten 50 times before posting.

http://countitalljoy.blogspot.com/
runningmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please share your beans and rice ideas

This is super simple. Cook up some rice (we use brown). About half way through cooking, add a can of drained, rinsed black beans (or soak/cook your own). I also add a small can of diced green chili peppers, then lots of "taco" type seasoning (a mix of salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, onion, oragano, and cumin).

We serve with corn chips to scoop it up, topped with your choice of: cheese, lettuce, tomato, salsa, black olives, sour cream.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
relizabeth (06-30-2011), runningmama (06-29-2011), The Tickle Momster (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

'cause we need some lower cost recipes as well.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Mix: cooked brown rice, cooked & drained beans (black, pinto, whatever), salsa & sprinkle with shredded cheddar.

Can also add corn, olives, diced bell pepper, zucchini, & top with cilantro, avocado slices and sour cream.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

garbanzo beans browned, add to cooked brown rice, sauteed spinach, and parmesan cheese

black beans and rice and cumin/oregano with onions/carrots/balsamic vinegar/oil/salt

white beans (northern)/chopped up tomatoes/rice/Italian seasoning/parmesan cheese
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
relizabeth (06-30-2011), runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
NeshamaMama
Rose Garden

Formerly emilik :)

NeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond reputeNeshamaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, ooh, I just made a really yummy one last night! I'll come back in the morning when I can take a peek at the recipe. It had acorn squash in it and was really yummy (and only ~3.50 for 6+ servings plus leftovers for lunch!).

Christopher
(INTP)

Mama to
Mayah Evangeline (01/10
)
and
Miriam Anneliese (05/12)
Living simply and loving my God!

NeshamaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeshamaMama For This Useful Post:
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
everydaygrace
Climbing Rose

everydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond reputeeverydaygrace has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

This one is really good, though it's not super low cost due to having mangoes in it. I got the recipe here

http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...ck_beans_mango

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

subbing b/c we do a ton of rice.

we also do a spaghetti sauce/meat combo with it instead of noodles.

lots of veggies.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
runningmama
Rose Bouquet

runningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, everyone, so much! The sad/good thing is, I have a lot of these ingredients just sitting around in my pantry and didn't know what to do with them. Like white northern beans, I think I used them once for a four bean soup and the rest of the package just sits there staring at me.
(11-07)

As an INFP please be assured that this post was probably deleted and rewritten 50 times before posting.

http://countitalljoy.blogspot.com/
runningmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Kristin, if the beans have been in your pantry a long time, they may not cook up well.

Can some of you give amounts for the ingredients? I'm sure I will make a pot full of yuck. even just proportions like 1 part B. vinegar, 2 p cumin. or what have you.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

my fave way to have beans and rice is this...

cook plain rice up

fry beans (usually black or red kidney) in pan with choices of spices, i go for a mexican blend of paprika, cycene (sp?), chili pepper, cummin. you could even saute some onion up with it.

then make a homemade chunky salsa...fresh tomotoes, fresh red onion, cilantro, parsley, olive oil, ...again any spices you'd like. i keep this part less spicey than the beans. some lemon mmmmm! salt, pepper.

them take a plate....first a mound of rice, then scoop some beans on top, them the salsa...and when i have avacados i make a guacemole to go on top of that!! mmmmm goood!!!

so hungry now
runningmama (06-29-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilik View Post
Ooh, ooh, I just made a really yummy one last night! I'll come back in the morning when I can take a peek at the recipe. It had acorn squash in it and was really yummy (and only ~3.50 for 6+ servings plus leftovers for lunch!).

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

I've made this one a LOT. It's extra delish when I cook the rice in chicken stock.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cheesy-...ce/detail.aspx
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (06-30-2011)