Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone play bagpipes, or have a child that plays?

My son has been asking to learn to play for two years. He really wants a set for Christmas. I am not even sure where to begin! I have gotten in touch with one guy in the area that plays, but he is full for lessons. He also warned me not to purchase a set from Amazon, but did not really tell me what to get instead.
Any tips? I know that he needs to learn to play on a practice chanter first, but even that I am not sure what to get.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone play bagpipes, or have a child that plays?

weerach does!

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

No help here. Just saying what a neat thing to learn to play!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I think it would be neat, too.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

I play dearie. What's up?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

OK, no don't go near Pipes just now practice chanter, I'll go get an Amazon link to what you could get. Are his fingers long? Shorter fingers could make it slightly more difficult.

Secondly, I taught many many kids how to play in the practice sessions before full band practice, so I'd look for a pipeband locally and go along there, if they're worth their salt they will jump at the chance to teach someone from scratch. If there is a juvenile band or a novice juvenile band then so much the better.

It will take practice. Some people are naturals and some need to put a lot of effort into it. It does help if he's interested.

I played with a band called Boghall and Bathgate, you can find them on YouTube and I would think you'd find some tutorials on YouTube too. But your first bet would be to take him to a band practice. I'll go gt those links for you now.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

This is a decent looking one., Rosewood, has a lovely feel to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bagpipes-Ro...+chanter&psc=1

You want to get him playing the chanter first and then look into pipes. I wouldn't order off anywhere like amazon for those you get a proper pipe maker to make them. They aren't as expensive as people think, but it's worth every penny having them professionally made because pipes appreciate with time no depreciate in value. I've still got my pipes that my mom and papa had made for my 16th, they were made from African Blackwood, my papa wouldn't hear of me using anything other than African blackwood because it's tougher than Rosewood and gives a good tone. (My papa won Gold at the Oban open a few years back so knew what he was talking about ). There's a tutorial book you can get, it's the one he got for me that really broke things down (papa taught me to play), I'll see if I can find it online and get the link for that too.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

If you have any other questions just ask. My dad,both papas and my stepmom play/played and my sister and 3 stepsisters are drummers. So it's in the blood. If I'm not sure of something you ask I've got lots of people I can ask.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Oh also, what age is he? I should've asked that first I just got so excited about someone wanting to learn I just went off on a tangent

Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weerach For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-20-2018), RealLifeMama (12-15-2018), RiverRock (12-14-2018), squiddles (12-16-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

He is 15

Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with me.
I ordered a chanter for him, and I took your advice and contacted a local pipe band. They offer classes starting next month from scratch. They go over reading music as well as teaching them to begin how to play the chanter. Sounds perfect.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (12-19-2018), kiloyd (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #7
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic. One big thing I will say is encourage him to read music without writing the letters underneath. My papa was insistent on this with me and now, even tho I've not played in a band for 20 years, I can still pick up a sheet of music and play it on sight. They'll teach him how to break it down, the different speeds, they'll teach him about note value and through that he will learn how to write music.

I was 15 when I learned. I was playing a set of full sized pipes within 6 months, it was in the blood and because of my interest i took to it like a duck to water. I suspect he will be the same because he is interested and wants to do it. I saw so many people who were there because their parents wanted them to do it and they just didn't care. And I'd invest in earplugs I played/ practiced constantly. My mom ended up putting a time limit on it. I wasn't allowed to play after 9pm .

Just PM me if you need anything else. I'm all excited

Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weerach For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-20-2018), RealLifeMama (12-20-2018)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
weerach
Rose Garden

How is he getting on hun? I found out my old pipe band now has YouTube videos. If you search "Boghall" they should come up. My band is called Boghall & Bathgate.

Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I will definitely look that up!

He has his first lesson next week. He is very excited. Thanks for thinking of us.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 03-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #10
weerach
Rose Garden

I think the YouTube channel for them is called The Real Boghall but if you put in Boghall it should come up. The pipe major of the Grade 1 band (BH have 3 bands) is a guy I played with when I was in the band. He is my age and has been playing from about the same age as your son. He's one of the best pipers I know. So he's quite a young guy (he's younger than me). His name is Ross.

Please do let me know how he gets on. He may be a bit frustrated at some point when he starts learning all the different finger work but if he breaks it down and plays slowly he will get it in no time. I'm so excited for him.

Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016