Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Facebook/Twitter alternatives

I have found a few FB alternatives and thought I'd share and get other people's feedback on them, and if anyone else has some alternative media sites they want to share that would be great!

Parler - they are a platform for sharing and discussing news and any topic. They are new and still adding features but they seem really great. You can be a verified human user, or a verified public figure/journalist. You can make is so only verified users, either kind, can post on your profile and posts. They are free speech advocates and the onlyvway you can get booted from the platform is to do something on the platform that would get them arrested for on the town square, such as a call to violence. They will soon have private messaging that will be double encrypted and only readable by you and the person you are talking to!

Minds.com is not as new, you can post comment, have groups, private chat, and you can support the journalists, etc through sending Bitcoin on the platform. They are also very pro-free-speech.

MeWe- has private messaging, groups, profiles, but there is a lot of adult content. It's less family friendly IMHO. But the platform is fairly well put together.

There are more but their names are escaping me. I'll come back and update.

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Allison (07-03-2019), ECingMama (06-08-2019), ThreeKids (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Facebook/Twitter alternatives

I have MeWe. It seems fine, I don't poke around there, so I never came across any adult content. I don't go there often, I have very few friends there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have mewe, I use it for messaging and because they don't mine your data. I've only briefly searched groups and there wasn't much there. But I joined for the above reasons only.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (06-07-2019), SewingGreenMama (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Discord - offers servers which function like groups, but much easier to moderate, private messaging, but there is no posting on your timeline etc. Each server has as many channels as needed, the channel's are where you go to converse. Most channels are assigned a topic. It is anonymous but you can require out of server verification if you wish. You can also heavily limit their access until you can trust them. Kind of like here but a little less customizable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Dissenter - This is an interesting one, and it is less of a social media platform for connecting people than a place for people to discuss articles and videos that have had their comment sections shut off or never had one at all. Wade in with caution, but some of the conversations can be very interesting.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ThreeKids (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember about the alternative platforms is that the people who were kicked off other platforms early are the established members of them. They tend to be the more dysfunctional members of our society.

I join them anyway, like gab.com, which is related to Discord, because the way to counter the constant anti-Antisemitism, is to outnumber them.

The banning of alternative viewpoints is accelerating. It's alarming how coordinated it is, with the banned being so deplatformed, they are left without means of complaining. You pretty much have to go looking for someone you've been following to know they have been kicked off Facebook or twitter or YouTube or all of them and sometimes they have even been denied a website host so you have to wait for them to find an alternative before you can follow a particular journalist again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the average internet user has no idea the bans are going on. Again, it's alarming how thoroughly they are getting away with the bans without the mainstream noticing or with their "Russia-backed" or "Iran-backed" explanations going unchallenged. People probably still think they are participating in a free-speech, grassroots playground.

Read between the lines anytime you see "coordinated inauthentic behavior" in a news article. That usually means "war-critical voice" and increasingly it's going to mean people critical of major advertisers such as big pharma.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-08-2019), SewingGreenMama (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

I agree, a lot of the voices on these alt media is fringe. But that is why it is so important for us to go on them. Especially the ones that embrace free speech as a tenant of their business. So that these fringe extremists hear other points which can protect against extremism.

The Following User Says Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ThreeKids (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

But my primary reason for moving is the censorship going on, the spying.
FB is even censoring private messages on messenger. Refusing to send some articles or messages containing certain words.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

If anyone wants to connect on Parler, minds, or discord, pm me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-08-2019), Virginia (06-08-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 AM   #10
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

What is fb sensoring? I never had that experience. (Left fb in February).

Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #11
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
But my primary reason for moving is the censorship going on, the spying.
FB is even censoring private messages on messenger. Refusing to send some articles or messages containing certain words.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

If anyone wants to connect on Parler, minds, or discord, pm me.

I’ve seen articles discussing how Facebook is scanning messages but I haven’t seen anything about them censoring messages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

What they designate as 'fake news'.
Sharing Alex Jones and Info Wars stuff even in Private messaging I know people who started sending eachother videos and articles from Infowars.com through messenger, since sharing them on your FB will get your account suspended, and they started getting error messages with only those messages, and we're no longer able to send them.
There is a lot I disagree with Alex Jones and InfoWars on, but I think he should be allowed to speak and I think that people should be allowed to share and discuss his content without risking being banned. And. It is start to spread.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #13
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Ah, I see.

The whole fake news thing is interesting to me. I see the problem less as false stuff or differing opinions exist and more why don't people check sources anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
What they designate as 'fake news'.
Sharing Alex Jones and Info Wars stuff even in Private messaging I know people who started sending eachother videos and articles from Infowars.com through messenger, since sharing them on your FB will get your account suspended, and they started getting error messages with only those messages, and we're no longer able to send them.
There is a lot I disagree with Alex Jones and InfoWars on, but I think he should be allowed to speak and I think that people should be allowed to share and discuss his content without risking being banned. And. It is start to spread.

Hmm... I’ll have to look further into this.
Facebook is a private company so I don’t have a problem with them banning people. If it were the government infringing upon their freedom of speech that would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (06-11-2019), SewingGreenMama (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #15
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

My biggest problem with Facebook and Twitter in the way they are banning people is that they are saying that they are a platform and creating a space that behaves like a virtual public square. Then they are behaving like a publisher and censoring content and punishing people for having the wrong opinions.

I want them to have to go to court and legally, on record declare themselves either a publisher who can and even must must censor what is on their platform because they will be liable for it. Or they need to declare themselves a platform and which they have to ease up in several areas.

Twitter especially is becoming a vital in our electoral system. In the process of election the process of campaigning at cetera Twitter has actually become very vital in our communities ability to keep in touch with and know what's going on within our political sphere. So I actually don't have a problem with Twitter and some of these huge big tech corps having some restrictions out on them. Especially when a person trying to campaign for government office can lose solely on the basis of being banned from Twitter and no one hearing about them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Allison (07-03-2019), ECingMama (06-09-2019), ThirstyTurtle (06-10-2019)