Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default homemade popsicle recipes

Anyone want to share favorite healthy-ish popsicle recipes? We have silicone molds (the long, skinny kind) that are great for freezing popsicles. I have two recipes that we make and love, but it's always fun to find more.

https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/re...e-yogurt-pops/

I think the other one is only in her cookbook, but it's similar. 2 cups of frozen fruit, 1 cup of yogurt, 1/3 cup maple syrup, mix inf a blender.

On a similar note, dh can't eat these because of the dairy. He's not a big yogurt person, so I never buy non-dairy yogurt. I think he'd like these though. Has anyone made similar recipes with non-dairy yogurt, and if so, any particular kind better than others?
Old 06-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homemade popsicle recipes

I wish I could help, but I just buy the organic ones off Thrive Market and call it a day

It is the perfect time of year for popsicles!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever made popcycles with juice.

I don't know how non dairy yogart would freeze, my guess is not well. My favorite non dairy yogart is kite hill I might try it with there's or the cashue based ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I've made one a few times that was just peaches canned in juice, blended.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Is coconut milk and option? You can sub full-fat canned for the yogurt, perhaps cut back a little or add some banana. (Or sweetened condensed coconut milk in the can.)

I make these with coffee instead of earl gray once or twice every summer. They are decadent. I have made them with canned coconut milk instead of the dairy and they've turned out just fine. There are a couple of brands of sweetened condensed coconut milk on the market (but I can't recall offhand what they are) that are a simple 1:1 substitution. I've seen it at Wegman's, Whole Foods, and a couple of the other larger local chains. I use full-fat coconut milk for most of the rest of the dairy, plus some strong coffee.

(If you've ever seen the recipes for no-churn ice cream, sweetened condensed milk is the secret ingredient in them. It works the same here. I think it's the fat as well as the way the sugar is dissolved in the processing that keeps huge ice crystals from forming so the result is creamy and smooth ice cream without the churning. We've played around with ratios and added in things like pureed fruit, but I don't usually write things down.)

Another option is to freeze your favorite smoothies.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Pragmatist (06-06-2020), Quiteria (06-09-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up with oj popsicles in tupperware popsicle molds. I remember those well! The ones I make aren't fancy or hard, but they are so good!
100 days of real food has a recipe with coconut milk, strawberries, and a little honey. We're going to try that one. That will be one that dh can eat. Good to know that the non-dairy yogurt may not freeze well. , 100 days of real food also has a fudge pop recipe that is easy that I think we'll try too. I was reading in one of her recipes that there is something with the sugar from honey or maple syrup that keeps it from turning into an ice cube.
Maybe this will be the summer we try many different popsicle recipes to find our favorite. Yum. I do freeze leftover smoothie once in a while, but it's not that exciting. We always make it with banana, frozen fruit (whatever we have), spinach, and water. It's a good smoothie, but not that exciting for popsicles.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I make popsicles like you described above with 2 cups strawberries, 1 can coconut milk, 1 TBSP lemon juice, 1 TBSP vanilla, 1/4 cup honey.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
esperanza
Rose Garden

Ooooh, that sounds yummy! The only downside to these popsicles is how much honey/syrup they use just because the cost of the ingredients. Maybe we'll have to try both recipes to see which we like better!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

Thanks for this thread. I have been looking for a quick treat for my daughter (vegan) for when the rest of the family has homemade ice cream. I love the idea of using canned coconut milk or sweetened condensed coconut milk. I make magic bars using sweetened condensed coconut milk for her sometimes, so I have some in the cabinet already.
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
esperanza
Rose Garden

Sure! Here is a link to the recipe I want to try but haven't. I am sure you could use maple syrup for the honey to make it vegan.
https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/gu...ut-cream-pops/
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
amommy23 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Are y'all making or buying sweetened condensed coconut milk? I haven't ever seen that.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #12
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Are y'all making or buying sweetened condensed coconut milk? I haven't ever seen that.

I have a can in my pantry that I haven't used yet. Bought it for a recipe and forgot about it.

My kids make smoothies & freeze in Dixie cups. We are also dairy free, so no yogurt, just alternative milk. Sometimes they melt chocolate chips & line the cups with them before adding the smoothie. Popsicle sticks or plastic spoons work well as handles.

I also remember making o.j. popsicles in Tupperware molds.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
esperanza
Rose Garden

Did your Tupperware sticks have the little circles that got oj in them, and then you'd suck out the juice from the circles? I also remember ours having bite marks. Haha! Ahhh, the 80s!
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Pragmatist (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post

I can buy it. Nature's Charm and Let's Do........Organic are good. Not every grocery store carries it, though.

Detoxinista has a recipe for it.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Did your Tupperware sticks have the little circles that got oj in them, and then you'd suck out the juice from the circles? I also remember ours having bite marks. Haha! Ahhh, the 80s!
I remember those! And loads of bite marks.

I bought silicone push up pop molds several years ago on Amazon that have been fantastic for popsicles - the ones with the lids attached. They're a little smaller than standard popsicle molds and can be used for dry snacks in lunchboxes.

I've got these as well, but the kids complain that they can't get the bottom of the popsicle off the stick - it gets stuck in the drip guard. They snap securely into the base, though so they don't fall over in my overcrowded freezer.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #15
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Yes!

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote