Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Abibigail
Rose Garden

Abby-bigail! Not a-BIB-igail. :)

Abibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanking as "discipline."

I've read somewhere that spanking as a disciplinary tool began as a husband/wife thing before it was used on kids. Any links or other info on this?
Single Mama to E, 12/06, and L, 07/08!

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
--Clementine Paddleford
Abibigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanking as "discipline."

This link is a good one. It is incredibly creepy to realize that nearly all of the Christian spanking advice seems to come directly from the Spencer Spanking Plan.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (05-21-2012), Zooey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

I can definately see the similarities between what that plan describes and how a lot of Christian parenting books describe how to spank. However, that is from the early 1900s and spanking as discipline has been around a lot longer than that. I know in the Little House books, which I'm reading to my kids, there is a lot of spanking. I think it's kind of an American culture thing, I'm curious where it came from originally.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly? I think hitting children to get them to behave as the adult wants has been around forever. I do think it is more/less appropriate according to a culture's current mores.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
forty-two (05-21-2012), GraemesMomma (05-21-2012), HuggaBuggaMommy (05-21-2012), Katigre (05-22-2012), Llee (05-21-2012), Rabbit (05-23-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there was spanking way before that Spencer thing. I posted a quote here a couple years ago from a book I was reading on the making of the King James Bible...it's random that this particular quote was in that book, but the document he quoted mentioned the practice of spanking students on the buttocks. Date of the document was about 1603.

Here's the quote in old English: "I have pepperid thaime as soundlie as ye have done the papists...They fledde me so from argument to argument, without ever ansouring me directlie...as I was forcid at last to saye unto thaime, that if any of thaime hadde bene in a colledge disputing with their skollairs, if any of thaire disciples hadde ansourid thaime in that sorte, thay wolde have fetchid him up in place of a reply & so shoulde the rodde have plyed upon the poore boyes buttokis."

Translation: (talking about a theological dispute): "I have peppered them as soundly as you have done with the Papists (Catholics). They jumped from argument to argument without ever answering me directly so I was forced at last to say to them, that if any of them had been in a college disputing with their scholars, and any of their students had answered them that way, they would have given him up a physical reply in place of a verbal reply, and plyed the rod upon the poor boys' buttocks."

Last edited by katiekind; 05-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (05-21-2012), GraemesMomma (05-21-2012), NewCovenantMama (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Spencer Spanking Plan? If Drew ever tried to do that to me, he'd be sleeping on the couch for the rest of his life!
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Abibigail
Rose Garden

Abby-bigail! Not a-BIB-igail. :)

Abibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond reputeAbibigail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks y'all.
Single Mama to E, 12/06, and L, 07/08!

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.
--Clementine Paddleford
Abibigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityMamaOf2 View Post
Spencer Spanking Plan? If Drew ever tried to do that to me, he'd be sleeping on the couch for the rest of his life!
This is one of those things that's SO beyond my comprehension. The description in the link talked about how it was voluntary and mutually agreed to. Why? I mean, really, WHY(???) would the wife jump on board with that? I agree, it's disturbing to see how similar it is to the spanking of children methodology.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

there were beatings and canings--they were not called "spankings"

then there were paddlings and other practices used on children (and adults)

the key role of Spencer Spanking Plan is the *ritual* that had not been outlined or suggested before--and eventually crept into child discipline books/teahings. The methodology that has been handed down to today's generations is rooted in the Spencer Spanking Plan. Prior to that, there were other ways to hit and beat children, but not the way we have today.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMommy View Post
This is one of those things that's SO beyond my comprehension. The description in the link talked about how it was voluntary and mutually agreed to. Why? I mean, really, WHY(???) would the wife jump on board with that? I agree, it's disturbing to see how similar it is to the spanking of children methodology.
it's more common today in some Christian circles--and the awful thing is that if you buy into all of the arguments presented for spanking children, you cannot dispute the ones that advance it to marriage.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elibellamiah View Post
I can definately see the similarities between what that plan describes and how a lot of Christian parenting books describe how to spank. However, that is from the early 1900s and spanking as discipline has been around a lot longer than that. I know in the Little House books, which I'm reading to my kids, there is a lot of spanking. I think it's kind of an American culture thing, I'm curious where it came from originally.
Also, these books were written in the early 1930's and forward. This means that the practice had come to be called "spankings"--that doesn't mean they called it that when she was a child and getting "whooped".
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-22-2012), dulce de leche (05-22-2012), Zooey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
it's more common today in some Christian circles--and the awful thing is that if you buy into all of the arguments presented for spanking children, you cannot dispute the ones that advance it to marriage.
The Spencer thing, from what I could tell, seemed to specify wives as the only ones to receive the spankings, right? So is the idea that the husband is the authority figure and therefore in charge of "helping" the wife better herself? (But the husband doesn't need "discipline" apparently?) This is all part of wifely submission? I still think that the weirdest part of it is that the wife is supposed to agree to it willingly. Of course, in all the kid-spanking plans that is never a component.
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMommy View Post
The Spencer thing, from what I could tell, seemed to specify wives as the only ones to receive the spankings, right? So is the idea that the husband is the authority figure and therefore in charge of "helping" the wife better herself? (But the husband doesn't need "discipline" apparently?) This is all part of wifely submission? I still think that the weirdest part of it is that the wife is supposed to agree to it willingly. Of course, in all the kid-spanking plans that is never a component.
I actually believe that in the Spencer Spanking Plan the husband and wife would both give/receive spankings. When applied to the Christian couple with the "male authority" aspect tied to the spanking ideas, it takes on an even more ominous tone.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (05-26-2012), Zooey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in all the kid spanking plans I've seen, it is a component. If the child resists in any way (doesn't come immediately and submissively, has a "defiant" attitude, isn't "sweet enough" after the spanking, or tried to sheild themselves or block a blow), then it is grounds for another spanking.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dulce de leche For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-22-2012), Zooey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
MaryPoppinsIAin't
Rose Bouquet

MaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond reputeMaryPoppinsIAin't has a reputation beyond repute

That was at once funny (DH was laughing bcs he knew it would never happen), eerie (echos of "go upstairs and prepare for your spanking") and

Best quote: "That, my friends, is where your 'godly' advice on spanking comes from. Good old fashioned S and M."

*twitch* Ew. Just Ew.
Three babes under 6, and most of what I know about kids comes from books and babysitting. So if I say something painfully naive, feel free to smile and shake your head as you laugh quietly to yourself.

ISFP. I-84, S-60, F-51, P-53

Laura John, 2006

JJ - , '11

Ana - , '14

Geordi - , '17

MaryPoppinsIAin't is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaryPoppinsIAin't For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (05-22-2012), dulce de leche (05-22-2012), Zooey (05-26-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not buying it, sorry! The etymology of the term "spanking" for corporal punishment predates the Spencer Spanking Plan. Of course it still ought to trouble parents that when spanking devolves into a ritual, it wanders onto the same turf as a fetish. Probably a case of whether the chicken comes before the egg or vice versa.

Last edited by katiekind; 05-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (05-22-2012), forty-two (05-22-2012), rjy9343 (05-23-2012), Tasmanian Saint (05-25-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
gardenfreshmama
Rose Garden

Through my daughter's eyes...

gardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond reputegardenfreshmama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an INFP and I'm going to save the world! Well... maybe tomorrow. After I get some alone time and a cup of coffee... or maybe after ANNABEL (6.25), ASHER (3.5), and EMMELINE (1) are in school... once DEREK gets his culinary school loans paid off...
gardenfreshmama is offline   Reply With Quote