Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold
Default Did I handle this right?

At a family get-together (at my house), dd (4) and ds (20 mo.) got in a little tussle over a ball. I assume dd may have had it first, but I was telling her to back off because ds will usually give it back willingly if you back off and tell him what he needs to do. MIL jumps in with a "Hey! Give that back to sissy!" I told her "I'm right here. I've got it!" Sure enough, when dd backed off I said "You can both play with it. Can you throw it back to V?" and he did. MIL was huffy and glaring at me the rest of the time. She doesn't like being challenged in front of a group of people, but what else can I do?

I feel like I know how to handle my kids, even if it's not the typical "Do this" or punishment ensues. My dd is spirited and a little strong-willed on the side and ds is strong-willed and a little spirited on the side. But I get them. Is the way I handled things permissive? And what else can I do about MIL (this is not the first time she has attempted to parent "over me") besides letting her steamroll me (and my kids)?
Elyse221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did I handle this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse221 View Post
At a family get-together (at my house), dd (4) and ds (20 mo.) got in a little tussle over a ball. I assume dd may have had it first, but I was telling her to back off because ds will usually give it back willingly if you back off and tell him what he needs to do. MIL jumps in with a "Hey! Give that back to sissy!" I told her "I'm right here. I've got it!" Sure enough, when dd backed off I said "You can both play with it. Can you throw it back to V?" and he did. MIL was huffy and glaring at me the rest of the time. She doesn't like being challenged in front of a group of people, but what else can I do?

I feel like I know how to handle my kids, even if it's not the typical "Do this" or punishment ensues. My dd is spirited and a little strong-willed on the side and ds is strong-willed and a little spirited on the side. But I get them. Is the way I handled things permissive? And what else can I do about MIL (this is not the first time she has attempted to parent "over me") besides letting her steamroll me (and my kids)?
I don't have this whole gentle parenting thing down yet but I don't think that was permissive at all. You were unsure who had the ball first but even if you did, you know your kids & knew how it would likely play out given some space. If it didn't play out the way you thought & the fighting kept going, I'm sure you would have tried something different.

As for MIL, you handled it better than me. I don't handle other people trying to parent my kid very well at all.
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (11-29-2014), Johns_Gal (12-01-2014), MariJo7 (12-01-2014), Rivendell Raven (11-29-2014), rjy9343 (11-30-2014), sunflowermom (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

You did fine....as for your MIL....kindly tell her "I will parent them and you enjoy them" in a sweet voice that sets that boundary.
Got to love MIL's.....after 19 years for me I think I am getting to the point of loving her.
Elyse221 (11-29-2014), Llee (11-29-2014), MariJo7 (12-01-2014), MaySunflowers (12-02-2014), Rivendell Raven (11-29-2014), Soliloquy (11-30-2014), Virginia (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds as if you handled the DC and MIL perfectly!

She can huff and glare all she likes, but it was not her place to intervene.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (11-29-2014), Johns_Gal (12-01-2014), Llee (11-29-2014), MariJo7 (12-01-2014), MaySunflowers (12-02-2014), milkmommy (11-29-2014), Rivendell Raven (11-29-2014), rjy9343 (11-30-2014), Soliloquy (11-30-2014), Virginia (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good to me!!

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Elyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to beholdElyse221 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reassurance guys. It's hard being from an area where grandparents are often a second set of parents and still parent their adult children as well as grandchildren, and being the first generation to do things differently. Boundaries are seen as disrespect. People still talk about the good old days where any adult could "whoop" a child who stepped out of line
The Following User Says Thank You to Elyse221 For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (12-21-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you did great! Let MIL glare as much as she wants. She needs to know that she can't parent your kids. That's your job.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (11-29-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you did great!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I had to tell the grandparents was that if I was going to leave my children in their care, I would be certain to make that clear. Other people may direct my children with regards to their property or their person (such as, no food in the living room, no shoes on the couch, don't touch my glasses, etc.) but that is the extent of it. Because, when I or DH had the children, it is vital that they have ONE voice, one set of directions on which to focus. It drives me absolutely batty when I see multiple adults giving directions (even if they're all repeating the same thing) to a child. Who can think straight with so many people giving you orders!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
DaGreeksWife (12-18-2014), Elyse221 (11-30-2014), Johns_Gal (12-01-2014), rjy9343 (11-30-2014), sothisislove (12-20-2014), Zooey (12-18-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you did very well. It sounds like you had the situation well in hand when your mother in law decided to insert herself into it. If she did not want to be corrected, she should have stayed out of it. If she thought that your daughter should have been given the ball, a simple I think the girl had it first would have been sufficient.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (12-01-2014), MariJo7 (12-01-2014), Virginia (11-30-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
Elyse221
Rose Bush

Honestly I think she is allowed and expected to parent the other set of grandkids and it's hard for her to switch gears when it's our kids. She's not used to not being in charge of all the people everywhere all the time . But I saw her later in the weekend and everything seems fine now.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. You just have to parent anyway and not feel a whit bad about correcting such corrections.

I have wound up physically stopping and removing my kid from some shenanigans that were other-relative initiated when they just were. Not. Listening. to me. No one should attempt to overrule a child's parent. The glaring and puffing thing wouldn't have gone unchallenged here either. That's not cool.

ITU being unable to switch gears. Overstepping doesn't bother me, as I think it can just be instinctual sometimes. It's the decision to step in that bugs the tar out of me. I hope that's clear as mud, my oldest woke up as I was typing this and is begging for a candy cane.
Johns_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johns_Gal For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (12-01-2014), JoEllen (12-01-2014), rjy9343 (12-01-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse221 View Post
Honestly I think she is allowed and expected to parent the other set of grandkids and it's hard for her to switch gears when it's our kids.
That's how it is with my MIL. My MIL babysits her other grandkids all the time. And, my SIL wants extended family to give orders to her kids and she likes it when MIL does this. This is a good reminder that it's not easy being grandma, either.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (12-10-2014), sothisislove (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
sothisislove
Rose Blossom

sothisislove will become famous soon enough

I love how you handled it!
DD 11/12/2011
Homeschooling!
sothisislove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sothisislove For This Useful Post:
Elyse221 (12-21-2014)