Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough
Default Family Ridiculousness

I really just need to vent, so I apologize in advance. Yet another family get together in which "grown ups" had tantrums; I'm trying to keep the peace and show up to these things and do my part, but it gets harder and harder. I wound up hiding in another room with my son, nephew, and niece--- their step father stalked away from the table and refused to eat with everyone else because the children were acting like children (being a bit noisy, talking among themselves, and he felt the need to inject himself at the "kid" table to "supervise"). I wound up telling him to knock off the threats to smack the kids after he told my son not to worry about what his cousin was doing, he would just hit him if he didn't quit. Yeah, don't say crap like that to my kid. This man is lecturing my nephew about saying something like, "gonna punch 'em in the face" while the boys were playing a super hero game and had to brag to the other adults afterward that he'd threatened to slap him if he said it again---- uh, isn't that what you were telling him not to *talk* about, and you are threatening to *do* it?! I don't like the "going to punch you" talk either, and DS and I have many talks about how that might make other people scared or feel bad even if you are just playing. Then there was the bad mouthing my youngest sister after she left, because our other sis had "slaved all day" to make the meal (mind you, she was asked many, many times what needed done and refused any help) and youngest sis left without cleaning the whole thing up--- no one asked her to help, she has stayed to help before and has no issue with it. I cannot stand this, someone always has to be the "black sheep" basically, and at any point in time for random thing you did or didn't do it could be you. It makes me physically ill to trip over myself trying to do the right things in the right ways or else I'll be the ungrateful, hateful one--- again, it's happened before. My son loves his grandma though and his cousins, and I'm between two tough places, I don't have good friends, we don't see other people except me at work and him at daycare. I just don't know how much more family manipulation and outright violence I can handle.
wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for wildswede:
JoEllen (12-01-2014), sothisislove (12-20-2014), sunflowermom (12-02-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Ridiculousness

There is no easy solution to this.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
mamacat (12-21-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Family drama is a beating.

Vent away.

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds hard! If I were in the same position, I might visit Grandmother some other time together with my own kids put stay away from these kind of family gatherings. But I don't know if this is a realistic advice in your situation.

Perhaps everyone in your family is worth visiting, but when they are all together, it has some accumulating effect that sounds very stressful. It is good for the kids to se their cousins, but perhaps that should happen in another context than this.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-12-2015), sothisislove (12-20-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

That sounds so difficult. Are you looking for helpful ways to navigate family situations in the future or just wanting to get it out of your system so you can move on?
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJo7 View Post
Sounds hard! If I were in the same position, I might visit Grandmother some other time together with my own kids put stay away from these kind of family gatherings. But I don't know if this is a realistic advice in your situation.

Perhaps everyone in your family is worth visiting, but when they are all together, it has some accumulating effect that sounds very stressful. It is good for the kids to se their cousins, but perhaps that should happen in another context than this.
This is what I was going to say. Skip family drama holidays and go take Gma to lunch or gather all the cousins at your house to make gingerbread houses together.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (12-03-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Family situations can be so hard.
I'm glad the kiddos have a safe adult with you around.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, I'm sorry. My sister's family is a big ball of chaos and stress, I dread getting together with them because of the emotional clean-up afterwards. I don't have a solution, though, I'm trying to keep the peace just as you are it seems. Yours is on a grander scale, though, it sounds like. What if you were "late" to these things?

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
jenny_islander
Rose Trellis

jenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond reputejenny_islander has a reputation beyond repute

If you can stay home and out of sight the day before, come down with a 24-hour bug. Oh, it's awful stuff. So sick. You don't want it, honest.

Normally I don't favor lying, but if you're facing a script that requires a bad guy and you've been assigned the part...
Wife to John, December 18, 1999 ~ Mother to Sophia, March 13, 2004 ~ Mother to Eva, June 10, 2006 ~ Mother to Matthew, December 21, 2009 ~ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.
jenny_islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
sothisislove
Rose Blossom

sothisislove will become famous soon enough

This time of year doesn't always bring out the best! Ugh...
DD 11/12/2011
Homeschooling!
sothisislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I think one thing to remember is tho you dont have to accept the behavior we all need to have grace for that kind of mindset because,after all, it has been the only way he nows for so many years. Sometimes a kind word really does turn away wrath so if you can say it so he doesnt feel attacked maybe he would back off? Maybe not Like oh c'mon dad they are being kids very sweetly.And then modelling what you would say to them.Hey guys it is a loving family time here no more talk of people hitting or smacking!

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I really would not be a part of that, family or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to try and make it better would try different answers and then let him go cool down someplace if he needs to w/o the rest of you engaging in the whole thing.your response can set the mood. if you dont want to deal with it would as others have said just not be a part of the events where that happens.Do you go and visit and stay with these people during holidays? or are they close enough that it is a there for an evening type thing.would limit time with the stepdad and do other times with the others as people have said and have a main dinner at home just the family.My grown son and his son and mama of son do this for holiday meals.They just love the 3 of them being cozy at home together and we see them at other times during holiday

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 AM   #14
ModestMama
Rosebud

ModestMama is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel. I have had a similar situations in family gatherings. We always go to my grandparents house every year for a get -together and I decided that we won't be doing that anymore.
Here's what happened:
I was standing in line at the food pouring myself a drink and then my dad (who was sitting) asked me to pour him one. My cousin and her mom were next in line and i looked up to see my cousin giving her mom and very hard " Can she GO any slower!" look. On top of that none of my other family (my cousins and my uncle and their spouses) act stuck up and won't even have a conversation with me or my family. This isn't the only situation, there have been others. This particular group of family or the only ones that I don't usually see until this family gathering. Most everyone else we see frequent.
So we won't be going back anymore. We visit my grandparents frequently anyway.
ModestMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Family drama is so difficult. Even moreso when adults have childlike temper tantrums. we've so been there...