Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm oven/range shopping - any advice?

Yes, burner size. The house we bought has a very expensive Electrolux cooktop with 5 burners. Only one of them is big. It's very frustrating.

Also, if you can, be aware the manufacturers do not recommend canning on a glass top. I have a separate cabin-size stove I use for canning.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #17
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too heavy to can on them? I have canned on mine.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #18
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

That's what they say, that the weight could crack the top. I know people that do, I had a thread on it last summer, I think. Maybe the summer before last. But, it's a factor, apparently.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'm wondering about the canning. I've read reviews as to not being able to can/use cast iron, but I don't know why.

I found one that has two burners that adjust in size...wondering if that's a good thing?!? I usually only use 2 at once, but occasionally 3

Also, is convection a good thing? I love to bake

ETA: I think I remember that thread. I'll look for it.

InFpType 2/3(?)
bentlaj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm oven/range shopping - any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlaj11 View Post
Bumping this thread! I broke our cooktop (it's separate from the oven). I'm looking at replacing both since the oven isn't much bigger than an easy-bake .

Any more thoughts on glass-top vs. coils? Brand recs.? I'm a horrible cleaner, so I need something that can stand up to mess! I want to keep using cast-iron, and I would love to eventually be a canner.

Angela, did you end up with the one you linked in the op?

I did get the one in the OP. I like it overall. It has two nice big burners and two fair sized ones. Its harder to clean than what you would think a piece of glass would be but still 100 times easier than the coil stove. It takes awhile to heat up, I have had to learn to turn on the oven or the burner while I am prepping food or else cooking takes a long time. The upside to that is once it heats up the heat stays very even.

I don't can nor do I really use cast iron so I can't comment on that.

Re the convection, it's ok, I'm not blown away by it or anything. Things just bake a little quicker, once the oven gets preheated that is.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
MrsDuck
Rose Bouquet

MrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud ofMrsDuck has much to be proud of

I love, love, love having convection. I use it for cookies, and anything that where I want to ensure even heating throughout. It can dry out the surface, though, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Blessed to be a Stay at Home-schooling Mama to:
DS1 - Snugglebug - Nov. '08
DS2 - Wiggles - May '12
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDuck For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #22
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yea, I wonder if the canning thing is similar to the cast iron thing. "They" say not to use cast iron on a flat top but we use cast iron almost exclusively and I'm a pretty die hard cook, so my flat top and cast iron mix several times daily. I've never had a problem.

I haven't canned since we got the flat top tho so no experience there.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #23
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

My flat top is older so maybe the newer ones don't have this problem, but it's very hard to heat evenly unless the burner is on high. My burners are either on or off. Medium heat is achieved by heating for 5 sec, then off for 5 sec. Kind of like medium power on the microwave. I have found it very difficult to make jelly because of this.

The thing with cast iron is that the pans can scratch the surface and damage it.

also, you have to clean it up every time you splatter or spill or else it stains, and then heats less evenly.

I hate mine, in case you couldn't tell.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-01-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #24
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Bar Keeper's Friend is the best for cleaning a glass cooktop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-01-2015), bentlaj11 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

bentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond reputebentlaj11 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Bar Keeper's Friend is the best for cleaning a glass cooktop.
Yay! I have that already

We bit the bullet, and bought one this weekend. The sales lady tried to talk us into a cheaper discontinued model. I almost agreed to it, then I realized it wasn't convection. We went with a newer model, so hopefully the glass will tougher .

So, now DH wants to move the fridge to a new place (we have to knock out cabinets for the new stove). Which would you rather see when you walked into a kitchen, a fridge or a stove? If I get the camera battery charged I might start a new thread w/ pictures of the layout. I'm not good at kitchen design!

InFpType 2/3(?)
The Following User Says Thank You to bentlaj11 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #26
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

We have a double oven. I LOVE it. We've had it five years. I wouldn't use any other kind. It preheats in 2 minutes or so. It has a toast function, so the toaster was gone!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #27
bentlaj11
Rose Trellis

Ohh, I hope ours has a toaster function. I always burn the bread when I'm trying to broil it when I do garlic toast.

InFpType 2/3(?)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #28
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which would you rather see when you walked into a kitchen, a fridge or a stove?
I would rather look at a stove. It can look creative and be decorated with art hanging above. Fridges either look big and empty, or big and cluttered with stuff. The only negative to the stove being the first thing you see is that sometimes you might be getting something out of the stove when somebody walks in the room and well, the view would be comical and/or embarrassing.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #29
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's what I'm wondering about the canning. I've read reviews as to not being able to can/use cast iron, but I don't know why.

My understanding was the most canners have concave bottoms. So they're resting on a ring *around* the burner, not really *on* the burner. On a coil stove that doesn't matter so much, and of course on gas it doesn't matter at all. But on glass tops it makes it very inefficient.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #30
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
We have a double oven. I LOVE it. We've had it five years. I wouldn't use any other kind. It preheats in 2 minutes or so. It has a toast function, so the toaster was gone!
A double oven is totally my dream. Some day.