Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There has got to be a way to make DS 3 yo sleep

Does he have to pee?
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
JJsMom (04-22-2012), Psyche (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins View Post
Does he have to pee?

Maybe. He's still in diapers though all the time. I guess the urge could be waking him up. He's been "ready" to potty train for months and months but I lack patience to deal with accidents and haven't made anything but cursory efforts thus far.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

ok, just brainstorming....

Is there any way possible you could get a nap during the day so YOU woudl be more rested and more patient?

Does it help any to hear that he's still really little and that it has taken me until #4 to realize that?

Will he go back to bed for anyone else?

Could you do pullups just at night and whenever he wakes take him potty? Or even just the first time or whatever you choose?

what about an earlier bedtime? My girls sleep better and longer if they get in bed before 6:30.

Just to let you know that I"m not just one of those people who have great sleepers and that I'm not just throwing out random things. Jayden didn't sleep through the night (as in a 5 hour stretch) until she was 3.5. Since then she wakes anywhere from 1 to ?? times depending on how badly her OCD is messing with her. If it's going well, she gets up once or twice, goes to the bathroom, gets water, and goes back to bed without bothering anyone. Otherwise, I really really struggle since she's now almost 9! If she calls me from the top of the stairs before I go to bed I have to immediately start praying that I do not wake everyone in the house out of frustration with her. not exaggerating. So I totally understand the lack of patience and frustration and tiredness.... I also understand if you've tried all these things and they still don't work! The only one that ever helped with Jayden was getting her in bed earlier than seemingly humanly possible and not letting her out of bed before 6am (at that point in time, it's 7 now) to fight her being overtired.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Psyche (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

has this always been the case? A has been waking up a ton too, but she is getting her back molars in, and we just had a baby so we just keep putting her back in her bed, and on the bad nights giving advil.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute

He's never been a good sleeper. Ever. So it's not new. Five times a night is the exception for sure though. He does the same to dh as me but only wants me at night. I could try the pull up. We have some so I'll try that tonight.

He will go to sleep at 8 but even that's a fight sometimes. I cannot imagine getting him down much earlier.

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bedtime was ALWAYS a fight for us, until we started the early bedtime. Our "routine" is potty, melatonin, dh does handshakes, lights out and I read.... approximately 15 minutes out of the Bible and 5-10 minutes of something else. We have done this, minus the melatonin, for 5.5 years. I do the same thing no matter what time they go to bed, I just might shorten the reading to 10-15 minutes Bible and nothing else. Evie is out in less than 5 minutes after she gets in her bed.

I will say that when we first started the reading it was MAINLY because I couldn't get Jayden to stay in bed if I wasn't in the room, and she didn't realize I was in the room unless I was talking. I got tired of singing, so I started reading. So at first there was a lot of yelling and putting her back in bed over and over. Then I started sitting by her and I would have my hand on her leg. That helped a lot.

Now, I know that doesn't help during the night at all for what to do if he does wake up, but it honestly cut down Jayden's waking up on good nights from 4-5 times to 1-2 times. And she no longer fought going to bed. Both of those things helped me be able to be patient when she would wake up. I learned then that I couldn't wait for her to be tired to go to bed. She doesn't show tired like other "normal" kids... I still don't know her tired signs

Jayden is allergic to dairy, but being dairy free does not seem to do anything to her sleep.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Psyche (03-26-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
Amy
Rose Trellis

chocolate distraction

Amy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond reputeAmy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of taking him to a chiropractor? I have a friend with an almost 2yo who slept poorly until she started taking her to a chiro.
ds2 (4/11)
Married to (since 12/97)

No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of anyone who isn't trying." ~ unknown
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

He was adjusted regularly from about a year old till he was two and a half. It didn't help. good suggestion though.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
Dulci

Do you have someone you could vent to, to offload all of your yucky feelings built up around this issue? Someone who would not judge or be shocked or give unsolicited advice, but who would just listen and support you if you need to cry or rage or anything?

My little one (5) seems to keep coming out after bedtime more if we did not separate warmly the last time -- like something in her is desperate to reestablish warm connection. And then -- sometimes a warm separation makes her want more warm connection. It can be super hard to stay warm at these times! Getting listening for myself, and even using physical outlets like punching my bed, helps me to be more warmly available, reduces the impact of negative moments...

Also might try good connection building stuff during the day -- roughhousing, other physically connecting play, special time where you follow his lead for a specified time...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (04-22-2012), Psyche (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a food IgG panel done. It is not covered by insurance, though but it was worth it for us. We used the Pay Assured plan through Genova Diagnostics. It is cheaper that way. Finding a HCP to order the blood draw can be tricky. Many chiros will, we have a fabulous MD that does.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2012), Rabbit (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My other thought is that if his cortisol levels are low, melatonin lowers them even more and he will have difficulty staying asleep.

Have you tried a high-fat snack at bedtime and every time he wakes?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

I'm not sure what to give him. He won't eat butter or nuts other than almond butter

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

What are his t.v. habits like? DD1 had similar nightwaking issues around that age because of too much/too intense t.v. We had to really scale back and let her watch only Mr. Rogers for a while. It helped immensely.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #29
JJsMom
Rose Garden

JJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond reputeJJsMom has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to ask about having to go potty too. We have to wake my 5 yo up to bring her or she pees or wakes up. There were many many nights that she would wake up and whine and cry. We would ask her what's wrong and she wouldn't say. It drove me batty! But then I realized that she had to go to the bathroom and she doesn't do it anymore! My dh brings her about an hour or so after she goes to sleep and she goes and she's fine. We do limit her water after dinner. She had trouble with that at first but I encouraged her to drink a lot during the day and then just a couple sips before bed.
Gave birth to my J-bird 10 yrs ago (ds)
Homebirthed my LuLu 7 yrs ago (dd)
Homebirthed my Punkin' seed (and Great Grandma's namesake) 4 years ago. (dd)
And had our newest arrival, JellyBean 2 years ago. (dd)

I still miss my Great Grandma every single day. I'm not ready to take her picture out of my avi. She feels closer this way.
JJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJsMom For This Useful Post:
Aisling (04-22-2012), Psyche (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsMom View Post
I was going to ask about having to go potty too. We have to wake my 5 yo up to bring her or she pees or wakes up. There were many many nights that she would wake up and whine and cry. We would ask her what's wrong and she wouldn't say. It drove me batty! But then I realized that she had to go to the bathroom and she doesn't do it anymore! My dh brings her about an hour or so after she goes to sleep and she goes and she's fine. We do limit her water after dinner. She had trouble with that at first but I encouraged her to drink a lot during the day and then just a couple sips before bed.
We still carry our 5yo to pee around 10-11 when we go to bed. Otherwise, she sleep walks.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote