Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default DYT + painting and decorating your home

Let's talk about how we can use DYT principles to personalize our home environments. I can think of a few ways to do this:

*Style according to your own Type, if you're the only person in the family who cares about what the house looks like

*Consider who uses each room the most, and style those rooms according to that person's Type.

*Combine your Type and your DH's Type and decorate the house accordingly.

*If multiple family members share a Type (it might be a primary for some and a secondary for others) then style the home environment after that Type.

What have you done? Tell us about your adventures! And post pictures!!

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DYT + painting and decorating your home

DH is a 2/something, probably 1 and I'm a 1/2, barely leading with the 1ness. We do a lot of whites with 2ish paint colors and bright and bold pops of color for some fun, along with all our random crud that has been handed down, bought in a pinch to fill a need, etc.

DD seems to be a 2/3 imo. For her room we are pretty much doing the same as the rest of the house. Lots of whites mixed with softer colors, though she has more color and activity in pattern going on.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

My office is totally T3 steampunk Gears, copper, walls that are painted deep burgundy and then texturized with a random treatment overlay

My bedroom is currently chocolate brown, with T3 green accents.

Funny story there...I woke Dh up on a Thursday morning at 2am and said "The bedroom HAS TO BE redone. That's it, I'm done with it, it's got to go." He said "ok " and went back to bed.
By Sunday night the bedroom had been completely redone

Some of my other rooms, well...I'm pretty sure the kiddo is a T2 either as a primary or secondary. He was 3 when I was renovating some rooms, and I actually picked a soft lavender for the hallway leading to his room, because I was transitioning from the deep sea green of my dining room to the cream and purple and dark green of my bathroom.

He was looking at colours and getting more and more agitated, and started sobbing asking to "pwease" pick out "ONE COWOW!" so I let him choose the colour for the guest bathroom.

He very happily reached for the most T2 grey there could ever be, and said "dat one. It's peacefuw." and that is how I have a T2 room in my home :P
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (08-29-2014), ECingMama (08-21-2014), RiverRock (08-28-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

I like to think of what the room will be *for*.
My T3 self likes to relax and be soothed in T2-type decorating. A bedroom, for instance would be a nice place for soothing tones and flowing lines.

A kitchen might be a better place to Get Things Done. And therefore decorated in a more vibrant way...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (08-29-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for Kiara.I:
ECingMama (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My DD' s room is T1. I'd like the rest of the house to be T4.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Um, Reb will be evicted from this thread unless she posts pictures of her steampunky office

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-21-2014), Kiara.I (08-21-2014), Wonder Woman (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

I am lucky that DH & I are the same type . . . makes things pretty easy.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Without thinking about it, I'd say my house turned out to be a good blend of my 1/2 personality. It's neutral and calming, but also with lots of fun color.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
emerald
Climbing Rose

emerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant futureemerald has a brilliant future

Living room is the only room that feels like its close to coming together...it has light grey (walls), with some darker grey (curtains and slipcovers, rug) and some plum (pillows and throw), dark wood floor. A couple of white-washed/shabby bookshelves, some burlap accents.
Kitchen is plum with white cabinets, not sure about the shade.

I try to add in the boys' types in accents in their rooms. I'm not positive on all their types yet, but I think DS11 is 3/1, DS5 is 2/4, and DS1 maybe 1/3 or 3/1.

Playroom is light brown with a lot of red and some vintage cowboy prints (sewn on the bottom on red curtains, pillowcases)

Our bedroom is shades of plum and lilac and will be adding in grey, too. Bathrooms are light grey, white cabinets.

How would you add in t2 decor for a 5 yr old boy?

Married to C for 19+ years
Mom of 5
DS1 17
DD (in Heaven)
DS2 11
DS3 7
DS3 2

emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Taedareth
Rose Garden

I'd just choose a muted shade of his favorite color, along with a theme he likes (dinosaurs, robots, etc.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-23-2014), emerald (08-26-2014), Kiara.I (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 AM   #11
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

And pewter or brushed steel fittings instead of brass, like for lamp bases or drawer pulls.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Teacher Mom
Rose Garden

Teacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTeacher Mom has a reputation beyond repute

no....my colors in my home are not t4 colors......

my kitchen walls are a chocolate martini brown...cabinets white

LR - furniture is brown...in my dream world, I would love to have white furniture. Walls are a light lilac.

DR - is a t2 calm green....and sunroom a calm blue...

bathroom - light grey with deep t4 purple towels.

and my new camper I just redid???? My t4 - repainted it all white, but added in fun accessories for my t1 side.....I LOVE it!!!!! Camper it TOTALLY me!!!!!

Teacher Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teacher Mom For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Show us some pictures of this camper you love!!

And everybody who described your beautiful houses, please post pictures!! The verbal descriptions sounds fantastic but you know what they say about pictures

Meanwhile, back at my house... The hubby said he will paint the kitchen and living room ANY COLOR I want At first I was thinking T4, so I went to the store for paint chips. But I could only find two colors that might probably qualify as T4: a cobalt blue and Chinese red. They do look great together but it's not quite the combo I wanted in my kitchen Plus, the blue is really deep and would look almost black under artificial lighting at night. Meh. I guess the alternative is either a white/black scheme, which I don't want. Or maybe a very pale wall color, lighter than pastel. That might look like an "ice" color

Alternatively, we could pick a T2-ish scheme because everybody in the family (except one of the kids) has T2 as either a primary or secondary. But no way am I painting anything gray We have overcast skies and rain 9 months of the year, and I feel blah under all that gray. Must paint some vivacious colors on the walls to keep up my spirits

So the best compromise I can think of is to pick medium-value colors (not pastel and not too dark) that are vibrant enough for my T4 but muted enough to be comfortable for T2's. These are the swatches I'm currently working with. The white is "ultra white.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-23-2014), Teacher Mom (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
I like to think of what the room will be *for*.
My T3 self likes to relax and be soothed in T2-type decorating. A bedroom, for instance would be a nice place for soothing tones and flowing lines.

A kitchen might be a better place to Get Things Done. And therefore decorated in a more vibrant way...
our bedroom is very T2 with a color blue called "sigh" and accent walls of buttery bisque called "old time bakery". The trim is "Historic [some thing] Maple" (I can't remember the name).

The girls room is a mix of T1 and T2, playful and peaceful in a cool "starlight" which is a silver/white/pink and "purplelicious" which is a bright playful accent walls.

Our kitchen is bright yellow and quite T3, with chevron T3 colored curtains and other T3 accents.

Our family room is T3/1 With a dirty/sunny cream (called evening glow) on textured walls and a warm T3 yellow I can't remember what it was called ("evening in the city"?) and flooring called "[Some thing] old barn boards".

Our bathrooms are T3 as well. I don't know if my Moms DYT is a 3, but it appeals to her too apparently.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is fascinating! My home is very T2 with a lot of greyed out green. Taedareth and I live in the same area, and I just last week had my rec. room and spare bedroom painted grey. Specifically it is Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore and it is so pretty!

In my house I have a lot of natural tones, but also black and dark brown accents. I think I am dyt 2/4.

My oldest dd and my dh are probably dyt 3, and they protested a colour change in our dining room. I was going to paint it a lighter colour, but they insisted on keeping the deep burgundy that is in that room.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote