Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #151
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: s/o parenting self-talk

"It's OK to not be perfect. It's OK to not be perfect. It's really OK...."

"They won't be this age forever."

"Model what you want, Ash. And later, I will give you a nice hot bath."

Last edited by Aisling; 07-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
Bonnie (01-19-2013), CapeTownMommy (03-02-2010), duckwithoneleg (03-30-2011), jmom1984 (07-20-2011), Maggirayne (03-01-2010), simplegirl (03-01-2010), Tasmanian Saint (03-02-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013)
Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #152
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlebirth View Post
"Model what you want, Ash. And later, I will give you a nice hot bath."
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #153
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

I only just discovered this thread and it has been so useful! Thank you ladies!

Slightly different idea, but I sometimes remember to turn "What punishment can I use show him that this behaviour really is unacceptable" into "How can I help him to do better?"

And after I've failed yet again and I find myself caught in a useless cycle of self-berating, I remind myself, "If I were a perfect Mummy, I'd have to manufacture bad interactions so he wouldn't grow up with unrealistic expectations of his future relationships"
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
a good book under a tree (12-15-2011), Blue-EyedLady (03-02-2010), CapeTownMommy (03-02-2010), charla (03-02-2010), gdzprncess (05-16-2011), jmom1984 (07-20-2011), Maggirayne (03-03-2010), MomtoJGJ (03-02-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013), Vicki_T (03-07-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #154
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmanian Saint View Post
And after I've failed yet again and I find myself caught in a useless cycle of self-berating, I remind myself, "If I were a perfect Mummy, I'd have to manufacture bad interactions so he wouldn't grow up with unrealistic expectations of his future relationships"
That is great!! unfortunately I have girls, but at least I'm teaching them that it's ok to mess up, right?
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #155
fairolivia

"Model what you want, Ash. And later, I will give you a nice hot bath." [/QUOTE]

Love it! Need it!
Now if I could just remember these! My friend, IRL and here, always has wonderful quotes... practical and inspirational... stuck up on her walls. She usually has them in her kitchen. They change as the need arises. I'm going to work on sticking up a few of these this weekend.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #156
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

great idea, FairOlivia, I think I'll do something similar (after the wedding and birthday party... maybe next weekend )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ View Post
That is great!! unfortunately I have girls, but at least I'm teaching them that it's ok to mess up, right?
I wasn't actually meaning specifically romantic relationships, I meant friendships, sibling relationships, etc. But, yeah, teaching it's ok to mess up and how to fix it.
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #157
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

if i'm perfect, whatever will they talk to their spouses about??

i've got one from the past two days: "you really really want to (spank, yell, be mean) right now, and i understand, you are very angry, but think about how nice it will be to hold him tonight and recount what we did today and not feel guilty and not need to apologize over and over" stops me every time
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (03-08-2010), Maggirayne (03-05-2010), MomtoJGJ (03-05-2010), PrincessAnika (05-20-2011), ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013), Tasmanian Saint (03-06-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013), thrillofhope (10-14-2013), Vicki_T (03-07-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #158
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaruska View Post

i've got one from the past two days: "you really really want to (spank, yell, be mean) right now, and i understand, you are very angry, but think about how nice it will be to hold him tonight and recount what we did today and not feel guilty and not need to apologize over and over" stops me every time

I really really needed to hear that tonight!!!
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (03-05-2010), ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013)
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #159
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

I've gotten so much out of this thread!

I don't know if it's ok to post a link, but this article on MSN has some similar things to say:

http://healthyliving.msn.com/default...e&contentId=52

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (03-05-2010), Maggirayne (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #160
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaruska View Post
if i'm perfect, whatever will they talk to their spouses about??

Lol!

Oh man, I needed that today.

Tomorrow is a new day.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #161
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

So I've finally finished writing down all these lovely ideas in my journal...

2 questions:

Anyone else think this should be a sticky?

and

Can anyone point me to the laziness spinoff?

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (03-17-2010), Keeper-of-Mr.Monks (01-20-2013)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #162
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for this. I have a 6 yr old & 3 yr old. With kids this age would you talk yourself through out loud or just in your head? Also, has anyone gotten to a point that you gain enough control over your reactions to not need to walk away? For now walking away would be better than staying and spewing but not sure I want to model retreat as response to stress.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #163
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

I talk outloud, oherwise I can't hear myself.

It's better to remove yourself than do something you regret. I see it as an aspect of self-discipline.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #164
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been re-parenting myself for a long time, and still find walking away to cool off is a valuable tool.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #165
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i think retreat is a healthy response to stress, also modeled by Jesus himself, as long as it is not the *only* one you use.

i do out loud and to myself both...

sometimes i do third person... esp. for processing. yesterday instead of telling dh that he needed a nap i said this: "remember how yesterday i was really crabby when i was tired? yeah, mama didn't feel good all, mama gets so grouchy when she's tired, doesn't she? and remember mama went and took a nap while you played with papa? and then she was much nicer, right?" (he nodded enthusiastically )
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-17-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013)