Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #346
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

Rough day today.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for canadiyank:
jmom1984 (01-11-2012), shaslove (01-18-2012), swimming with sharks (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #347
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having some rough days myself.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for charla:
Beautiful Chaos (01-16-2012), jmom1984 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #348
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

And now I just got a disturbing phone call. Awesome. What a craptastic day.
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for canadiyank:
Beautiful Chaos (01-16-2012), charla (01-11-2012), swimming with sharks (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #349
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Back to school, let down from Christmas, and terrible weather for getting outside is always SUPER hard. add in any traveling, sickness, and other life ickiness and you've got a recipe of everyone's patience and tolerance being VERY thin. Lots of and and peace.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #350
jmom1984
Rose Bush

Five Generations of Ladies <3

jmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant future

I heard the girls start to fight over a toy in the next room this morning. Usually this means that the 2yo snatches something from the 4yo, and then the 4yo starts screaming for her to give it back, and then the monkey-see-monkey-do 2yo screams back. And they are girls, they have the high pitched scream thing perfected in such a way that makes your ears ring. Sometimes I join in with my own yelling (which is why I'm here of course!), but I have been trying so hard to pause long enough to collect myself first, and then try to teach some conflict resolution. So today, what I heard from the other room was my 4yo dd asking her sister calming to give it back, and when she didn't, she called, "Mommy... Can you come here? I need help fixing a problem!" I almost cried, tbh, I was so happy that she remembered something I taught

Just thought I would share that as a success story to encourage us all. Great things happen when you curb the yelling and keep your cool.

ETA The first thing I thought was how this would not have been possible if my parenting style was to punish them for fighting. The teachable moment would have been lost, and they would have learned nothing. I am so thankful for GCM.
Jenna Hope 12/16/09
James Anthony & John Michael 4/4/13

Last edited by jmom1984; 01-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
jmom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmom1984 For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (01-11-2012), celestial princess (01-11-2012), LovelyGourmet (01-18-2012), marigold (01-11-2012), swimming with sharks (01-11-2012), Tandem mama (01-11-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #351
mama_mimi

I didn't read through all the pages. I thought this was for dealing with children who yell at first. How do you deal with that? I'm not a loud person. I only yell when I've completely lost it. Maybe once or twice a year since having children. My husband is loud. His 13yo is loud. My kids are becoming loud. It makes my ears bleed and is why I yell (just to be heard over them). Mostly, I yell inside or through my teeth and clenched fists. As much as I try to do gentle tactics, it's all out the window (for kids) on weekends. Help?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
gpsings (01-26-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #352
dancingWNC
Rose Blossom

dancingWNC has disabled reputation

I read an Anger management post from a Christian blog that was really helpful this morning. (http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/01/w...er-management/)

I need to sit and think about the things that are REALLY stressing me, and where my anger is coming from.
Will contemplate that in my quiet time today (if I can find some, LOL)

This mama is really committed to stopping yelling. Will check back in soon. I'm sure I'll need a hug soon.
dancingWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #353
Beautiful Chaos
Rose Trellis

I live a wonderfully chaotic life!

Beautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautiful Chaos has a reputation beyond repute

I can be a yeller too I grew up with yelling and hitting. My dad was an alcoholic and it really affected our home life. It was HORRID!!!! My sister has big issues from it, and I basically blocked out most of the bad, but I know that is where my yelling comes from. I always apologize but I feel like it has become a shallow sorry....kwim?!?!?
to everyone!!
Madeline(04)
Quin(08)
<>< <>< <><
Imaginations Creations
You will win sweet mamma!!!
facebook me

Trimming the fat 4 life
formerly known as mammaof3
Beautiful Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #354
GlobalMama
Climbing Rose

Missing these sweet moments

GlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond reputeGlobalMama has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a "Mother of the Year" thread

I screamed at DS this morning. No, not yell. I SCREAMED. I am so incredibly upset at myself. I must have scared the daylights out of him. I am so, so, so ashamed and don't know what I can do to remedy it. To apologize to him, to get myself to stop feeling so ragey.

DH has been an anxious mess lately, DS has been basically one emotional breakdown after another and I feel like I can't express any emotion because I'm too busy dealing with them. DS, I don't mind. He's my child. DH? I frankly want him to suck it the heck up

Ugh. Seriously in tears.

Mama to these tiny fries:

The philosopher 1/13/2010 (C/S)
The broadway star 3/23/2012 (CBAC)

The x-games participant (Breech HBA2C) 4/28/2014

The baby of the bunch (2HBA2C) 3/30/2016

Always missing and loving Samuel and Sascha 3/14/2011

INTJ to a fault
GlobalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say they are praying for GlobalMama:
Beautiful Chaos (01-18-2012), canadiyank (01-17-2012), Elspeth (01-25-2012), gpsings (01-26-2012), shaslove (01-18-2012), swimming with sharks (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #355
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalMama View Post
Is there a "Mother of the Year" thread

I screamed at DS this morning. No, not yell. I SCREAMED. I am so incredibly upset at myself. I must have scared the daylights out of him. I am so, so, so ashamed and don't know what I can do to remedy it. To apologize to him, to get myself to stop feeling so ragey.

DH has been an anxious mess lately, DS has been basically one emotional breakdown after another and I feel like I can't express any emotion because I'm too busy dealing with them. DS, I don't mind. He's my child. DH? I frankly want him to suck it the heck up

Ugh. Seriously in tears.
I get overwhelmed with guilt too when I "scream". It's a process to work on, and remember that grace is for mamas too.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #356
AugustMama
Climbing Rose

AugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to beholdAugustMama is a splendid one to behold

I definately struggle with anger and I think that is why I scream at my kids. Does anyone have any good books or resources for dealing with anger?
my adorable dear son born 9/14/07
our second girl, our little joy born at home 1/28/11
AugustMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #357
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustMama View Post
I definately struggle with anger and I think that is why I scream at my kids. Does anyone have any good books or resources for dealing with anger?
I've found the book Good and Angry to be helpful.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #358
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustMama View Post
ScreamFree Parenting was a very good read for me, especially when my oldest was 3.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #359
Akina
Rosebud

Akina has a spectacular aura aboutAkina has a spectacular aura aboutAkina has a spectacular aura about

Ahhh I haven't screamed in a long time but I just yelled at DS. It's been a hard week, first he was sick, now DD is sick (wakes up every 20 minutes) and I'm feeling the sinus pressure now too. DH is gone as always. DS threw a huge tantrum over not wanting to do quiet time/naptime, which is not negotiable in this house. He needs it, she needs it, I need it. No discussion. There will not be no quiet time, end of story. He had a great lunch and was even allowed a piece of chocolate. Instead he started screamfest and all things failed so I ended up yelling at him, which finally made him quiet. I don't feel good about it, and I hate that it appears to be the only thing to make him listen. As mentioned in the other thread, DS has no issues (and I am sure of that - not only medically speaking but he also behaves like a perfect angel with everyone but me, but I'm the one person he wants to be with). The stress is tearing at me, and I feel like i can't handle a toddler anymore - I have no patience, I'm not overly kind, I'm very sensitive and I'm starting to feel really angry. We have no family close and there is nobody who can give me a break - the few friends we have here have kids themselves and I can't pay back by watching other's kids because I don't know how to, and I'm not patient, I'm not the type of person who does well with other people's kids. I feel clueless and very uncomfy... I used to be able to manage DS, and he is mostly ok, but his tantrums bring me to the knees. (sometimes he has none, other days he has 3) I know it's normal, but I'm not normal, I lack the skills to tolerate and accept toddler tantrums, especially when I see he only throws them with me. Sorry I'm a whiner, and a lousy mom. All the books I read and still I lack the skills. I feel like my kids would be better off with a better mother who is patient and calm.
gpsings (01-26-2012), Tandem mama (01-19-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #360
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

man, I've been struggling the past few weeks with this. I'm in the process of making some changes in my parenting/discipline methods and that's helping, but it's moving me further away from the ideals of this board. I don't know what that means for my place here. The stress of constantly trying so hard to be non punitive, and failing so miserable, has ended up being very damaging to my family and my marriage. I'm not sure where we'll end up but we're in a much better place right now.
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for justbreathe:
Beautiful Chaos (01-18-2012), shaslove (01-18-2012)