Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #406
mezzBreath
Deactivated

mezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

i yelled yesterday. my dd was hot, cranky and literally cried/whined for 2 hours straight. nothing would settle her. after 2 hours, i told her i needed a break. she screamed louder. so i told her i needed to scream too. i tried to be a good model and scream into a pillow... but it didnt help and i ended up screaming in the air. then i yelled at her and told her i didnt want to listen to her cry anymore. she looked terrified and then we both cried.

it was seriously stupid. i realized how hard it is for me to problem solve with someone crying in my face. i also realized there's a part of me that wants to be a mama lion when ive had enough of my little one's unravelling, roar louder than her and snap her back into control.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollobe View Post
I'm still here...and needing support lately.
what do you need?
mezzBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezzBreath For This Useful Post:
mollobe (06-25-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #407
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

My family is a big, loud german family.
We yell all the time, happy, angry, sad, excited - we're all just yellers.
That has translated a LOT into yelling in anger, and I hate it. I hate how easily I do it, and though I don't yell at DD (..yet ) I do yell at DH when DD has been present.
I'm so ashamed of that.
But I just get so fired up that it's hard to control.

So I can really use this thread.

Peace,
- Jenny
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenniferJuniper For This Useful Post:
mollobe (06-25-2012), runningmama (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #408
runningmama
Rose Bouquet

runningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond reputerunningmama has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how I've missed this thread, other than not being on here much , but this is a HUGE weakness for me. Coming back to read all I've missed.
(11-07)

As an INFP please be assured that this post was probably deleted and rewritten 50 times before posting.

http://countitalljoy.blogspot.com/
runningmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #409
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboobieaday View Post
what do you need?
I think it's patience I need - got any for me? I don't know, I'm just SO short with my kiddos lately and need to control myself better. I think maybe we're all wearing out faster because we're a lot more active in the summer, so no naps are taking a toll...but I can't add naps because then they won't go to sleep at night. Trying to do a "quiet time" doesn't work, either, because they won't stay quiet. So I resort to movies or pbs kids, which then stays on too long because of the nice quiet, and then results in overstimulated kids that are c.r.a.z.y.
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for mollobe:
Daria_Aleksandrovna (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #410
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Molly The summer thing is getting us too. We're all out of routine and I don't know what to do with myself or the kids when we're home, and then when we're not home we're running around crazy and completely worn out. I yelled so bad at my oldest last week, I hadn't yelled like that in years at him. I pray to God that he doesn't remember me as this awful yelling mama.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
mollobe (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #411
shaslove
Rose Garden

shaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond reputeshaslove has a reputation beyond repute

I yelled a lot last week. I hate when I hurt.
shaslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #412
mezzBreath
Deactivated

mezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond reputemezzBreath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's patience I need - got any for me? I don't know, I'm just SO short with my kiddos lately and need to control myself better. I think maybe we're all wearing out faster because we're a lot more active in the summer, so no naps are taking a toll...but I can't add naps because then they won't go to sleep at night. Trying to do a "quiet time" doesn't work, either, because they won't stay quiet. So I resort to movies or pbs kids, which then stays on too long because of the nice quiet, and then results in overstimulated kids that are c.r.a.z.y.
ohhh lady... i wish i had patience to spare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

would quiet time activity bins help? i have some great pinterest links to bin ideas if you are interested. or maybe a week of consistent quiet time - where the kids *have* to stay in one place for at least x amount of time either reading or using their bins (maybe increase by 5 minutes each day?) and if they don't, you help them?

something that has been helping me not yell is taking those times where i want to yell to model.

for example, "mommy is really frustrated/angry/feeling impatient right now! i am going to take a break!" if she bothers me while i'm sitting taking my break, i say, "please give mommy space, i need to breathe so i can calm down and be a better mommy."

or i scream into a pillow.

and...

you are so. not. alone
mezzBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mezzBreath For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (06-27-2012), mollobe (06-26-2012), Naked Camper (06-26-2012), Tasmanian Saint (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #413
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can you cut back on some of the busyness / activities? Maybe if you all get some down time, you'll all feel more rested and maybe you'll have a little more patience Just a thought
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
mollobe (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #414
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Now that my sister has left town (she was visiting from Oregon for a couple weeks) it will be easier to slow down. I will only be planning one activity out of the house each day now. We're leaving Friday for a week at our cabin with my extended family, so that will help me parent better (being in front of lots of people who all spanked their kids).
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to mollobe For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #415
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now that my sister has left town (she was visiting from Oregon for a couple weeks) it will be easier to slow down. I will only be planning one activity out of the house each day now. We're leaving Friday for a week at our cabin with my extended family, so that will help me parent better (being in front of lots of people who all spanked their kids).
Your cabin sounds like such a wonderful place. Enjoy your time away
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
mollobe (06-27-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #416
SubarbanHippie

I'm having one of those days. G is trying my patience at every turn. He's tired (for whatever reason he thought it would be fun to wake up at 3:30am and stay awake), nothing pleases him, every thing I ask him to do is met with "NO!" or "FINE! UGH!" He was wonderful all weekend and it isn't like today is awful or anything like that, but I'm super busy trying to catch up on my chores and every time I make him something to eat and it's met with, "you didn't make this the way I wanted it. Fix me something else!" I want to scream into a pillow.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #417
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I was sooo here today. No one could listen to save their lives and so I got louder and louder....We have a PACKED day tomorrow but I need to keep myself under control to help them be successful.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #418
Caecelia
Rose Trellis

Caecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond reputeCaecelia has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this thread and it's a much needed thread for me. When putting serious thought into my what my parenting would look like for the future, I always thought it would he easy for me to not spank. Yelling, though, is a different story. Even though it's been directed at just DH thus far, it scares me to think that I may not have a handle on my yelling enough to resort to that when DD gets a little older. It's bad enough that DH has had to put up with it. Stumbling on gentle discipline/GBD in general has been convicting for me. When I read about GBD, and then realize I don't even extend enough grace to my DH, it makes me realize that I have a lot of work to do yet.
Caecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caecelia For This Useful Post:
mollobe (07-03-2012)
The Following User Says they are praying for Caecelia:
Dovenoir (07-03-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #419
prov31craftymom
Rose Garden

prov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also one that would like to see if we can get this moved to a non public forum. I don't want my struggles out for anyone to see.
prov31craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prov31craftymom For This Useful Post:
mezzBreath (07-02-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #420
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov31craftymom View Post
I'm also one that would like to see if we can get this moved to a non public forum. I don't want my struggles out for anyone to see.
There is one in a non-public place, but I don't think it's allowed to post a link here. Go find it though!
Ian