Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

I'm Megan and I'm a yeller.

Things I KNOW are triggers for me:
Lack of sleep
Trying to do things like cleaning or phone conversations and being interrupted
Stress
Too much time with punitive people especially yellers

Tools I've found help:
Using tv on days I know I'm likely to yell because of stress or lack of sleep.
Going somewhere else where people will occupy and play with the girls.

Things I really need help with:
Forgiving myself
Finding more tools
Balancing our schedule so I don't get to the point I feel I'll never take care of family administration things then get overwhelmed when I try and they don't cooperate

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (11-05-2011), GraceFirst (11-05-2011), MaiMama (11-05-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), WalkByFaith (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I think if I can just let go of my dream to get out of the house today, I'll yell less. I'm not going to get the things done I need to get done to get out of the house so discovering new messes isn't going to change that.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #33
Delaney
Climbing Rose

Delaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud ofDelaney has much to be proud of

I am here too.
This time of year gets harder for me. Not only do I have the cold weather/winter blahs, and we become more cooped up indoors, but my windows are closed most of the time as well, so I know people can't hear me.

I need this.
Mama to DS - 2007
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #34
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKids View Post
I think if I can just let go of my dream to get out of the house today, I'll yell less. I'm not going to get the things done I need to get done to get out of the house so discovering new messes isn't going to change that.
Too high of expectations is probably another trigger for me.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (11-05-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), MaiMama (11-05-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011), ThreeKids (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #35
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
Too high of expectations is probably another trigger for me.
I'm still learning to keep in mind that my hyper verbal child is 3 not 8

The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Peridot (12-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #36
GentleMomof4
Rose Trellis

My sweet C turns 19 this year!!

GentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond reputeGentleMomof4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMiriam View Post
Bringing my tea to this thread. I need it, a lot, right now. I have always had a temper (it used to only come out when I was pushed to a huge extreme ) but pregnancy hormones and feeling physically miserable for weeks on end have made me quick to anger. While I understand the reasons for it and it feels completely out of my control, especially in the moment, it's no excuse. It is not ok for me to treat my child with anything but kindness and respect no matter how much I am melting down.

In addition to preventing the meltdown in the first place, I need strategies for calming myself and changing my approach when I am already boiling over, instead of letting my fury spend itself. I will usually "watch" myself as I am screaming and think "this is not ok, I don't want to yell, look how scared/confused he looks, I wish I could stop" but it feels so overwhelming and out of control and I can't stop the train until the energy is used up. I really don't like that.
This is me. It's horrible to watch yourself spiral and, for whatever reason, not be able to stop it.
Holder of The Chalice of Reading Endurance
GentleMomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GentleMomof4 For This Useful Post:
celestial princess (11-05-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), Peridot (12-07-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #37
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleMomof4 View Post
This is me. It's horrible to watch yourself spiral and, for whatever reason, not be able to stop it.
BUT...the good news is YOU CAN. You CAN choose to stop....right in the MIDDLE of an UGLY, STUPID, RANT at that little kid who has stepping into who knows what. Just stop....and PRAY OUT LOUD.

Jesus I've lost my patience/temper/I feel so bad right now. I need YOUR help. Please help me be patient and kind. In Jesus' name. Amen.

I know it sounds silly and SUPER simple, but as an adult WE CAN control ourselves. I found myself doing this, watching from outside my body being like WHAT AM I DOING??? How can I stop and one day it just hit me. Just STOP....It's REALLY hard to do it, but the first time you do it, you'll feel SOOOO incredibly POWERFUL...like JESUS is right there holding your hand helping you step on the slippery rocks. It gets easier each time and pretty soon, you see yourself stopping before you start screaming. You'll make mistakes and I find yelling is an easy habit to slip back into when I'm tired, expecting too much, frustrated with something/someone else. I hope no one thinks I'm making light of their burden, this is just one of the BIGGIES that has worked for me in the past.

I also have a big hand lettered sign on the refrigerator that says, "Don't FEED THE BEAST, take a deep breath" I will not be a tool used by Satan to hurt my children to the best of my ability.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
AdrienneQW (11-06-2011), canadiyank (11-05-2011), Codi (04-21-2012), Cook (11-05-2011), DavidKelleyMay18 (11-05-2011), Dovenoir (11-05-2011), Ellen (12-03-2011), Elspeth (01-24-2012), Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), filmgirl2911 (11-07-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-05-2011), homesteadmama (12-04-2011), jmom1984 (11-05-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), mollobe (11-05-2011), mommy2ella (01-25-2012), nessnco (11-05-2011), simplegirl (01-03-2012), Soaring Eagle (11-05-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #38
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

I find that where I am with God directly effects my yelling

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
charla (11-05-2011), Cook (11-05-2011), Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), GraceFirst (11-05-2011), jmom1984 (11-05-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011), mamaeffie (11-10-2011), mollobe (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #39
nessnco
Rose Bush

You are loved.

nessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the roughnessnco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming with sharks View Post
Jesus I've lost my patience/temper/I feel so bad right now. I need YOUR help. Please help me be patient and kind. In Jesus' name. Amen.
Thank you

Mother of:4 grown children DD1 (born 88), DD2 (born 90), DD3 (born 92) and DS (born 94). DD has my first gandson (born 18)..

nessnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #40
mollobe
Rose Garden

.thankful.

mollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond reputemollobe has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, just started yesterday and already 3 pages long!
I definitely need this support.
Ian
: 9/07
Claire: 2/10
Owen: 4/13
mollobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #41
Soaring Eagle
Deactivated

Soaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura about

I'll join in this group. Kids hate it when I yell - I do too. I never knew I had this problem until I had kids.
Soaring Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #42
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I just calmly said, "no, I don't want you mashing blueberries" after ds asked where the potato masher is. Granted, I haven't worked up the courage to look around the corner yet.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
GentleMomof4 (11-05-2011), mollobe (11-05-2011), swimming with sharks (11-05-2011), Tandem mama (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruiz_415 View Post
Thank you for starting this thread I yell. ALOT. It makes me sick to think of it, cause it is just another thing that I do that reminds me of the horrible way I was raised, and how I swore to never do that to my children
This precisely.
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to celestial princess For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
Soaring Eagle
Deactivated

Soaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura aboutSoaring Eagle has a spectacular aura about

I find when I have too much caffeine, lack of sleep, whining children, didn't have my quiet time first thing in the morning to be triggers. I really need alone time to recharge. When I don't get it first thing in the morning focus/spend time with Jesus, before kids get up, then I'm not so patient.
Soaring Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soaring Eagle For This Useful Post:
jmom1984 (11-05-2011), justbreathe (11-10-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the big thing - I read once that said something like, "Isn't it amazing how we can be in the middle of a rant and UPS shows up at our door, or the phone rings, or our MIL stops by, and we can cut off our rant and be as sweet as can be?" UGH! Basically it was saying that we DO have the ability to *stop* - it's tough, yeah, but we *can.*

For me a lot of it is wanting to in the middle of me melting down. Not just how do I stop, but why don't I want to? It baffles me. Somehow I feel justified. Maybe, like, someone else mentioned, there's some sort of "high" that's hard to break (I have never considered that before).

canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canadiyank For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (11-07-2011), GentleMomof4 (11-05-2011), kwisie (11-05-2011), swimming with sharks (11-05-2011)